What's new

Your Top Speed

73.1km/h

Whilst chasing Philip down "Doshi-Michi - R413".
Philip was hauling arse after just coming down from Yamanaka-ko (Mikuni-toge before that - and there would have been 3 of us if Thomas hadn't broken his spoke).
About 6-8 motorcycles came past me on an uphill section, but as it started going down again, I went past each of them one at a time. Finally I found myself in front of all the motorbikes, but behind a blue hatch-back car. I was kind of drafting, but the hatchback was too low to make much difference, and I never had time to check my speed, as I was too busy watching for the brake-lights in front of me - only checked the "top-speed" after I'd caught up to Philip... And then he took off again (chasing some guy all the way to Hashimoto).

Theo Bos laat zien hoe hij op Mallorca een topsnelhe...

http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=H-Pl-H3UJJg

I remember that ride well . . . that was a great day (looking forward to the next one). I'm sitting here waiting for the typhoon - but nothings happening?

Philip

Whilst chasing Philip down "Doshi-Michi - R413".
Philip was hauling arse after just coming down from Yamanaka-ko (Mikuni-toge before that - and there would have been 3 of us if Thomas hadn't broken his spoke).
About 6-8 motorcycles came past me on an uphill section, but as it started going down again, I went past each of them one at a time. Finally I found myself in front of all the motorbikes, but behind a blue hatch-back car. I was kind of drafting, but the hatchback was too low to make much difference, and I never had time to check my speed, as I was too busy watching for the brake-lights in front of me - only checked the "top-speed" after I'd caught up to Philip... And then he took off again (chasing some guy all the way to Hashimoto).

Man, I feel like a snail. My fastest is just 57kph. There's a long gentle slope in Minami Senju next to the Sumida river with no intersections, so each morning on the way to work I do a sprint down it.

My best flat speed is just over 50kph, on the Arakawa bike path.

Man, I feel like a snail. My best flat speed is just over 50kph, on the Arakawa bike path.

That would be one very fast snail :D 50kph on the flat is very respectable. You will find the 66+kph speeds easily achievable coming back down from the mountains outside Tokyo. Travis (Yellow Giant) is particularly fast - he has no fear :eek:

90 Kph

Best so far is 90 kph. On 3 Rensho tandem. Chilly Hilly ride [ The Seattle bike season opener.] on Bainbridge island. Bombing a big long hill. My stoker wasn't but she was pedaling.

To Speed : Down / Flat

Downhill:

73.6 km/hr going down from Yamanakako/Mikuni Toge in direction road 246 toagtehr with Ludwig and Tom yesterday.

Flat:

51.8 km/hr, accelerating from 30 - 35 km/hr up without drafting along the Tsurumigawa, the home training ground.

Visited Tokyo Physio today to have a test on the Computrainer. Result: My pedalling technic isn't good and my right leg is way stronger than the left. Perhaps I should do something about it.

Or pick up table tennis again.

Was going 68Km/h on Mt. Hinode when a minivan looked me in the eyes and then pulled out right in front of me. I grabbed a handful of brakes which wasn't enough. I ended up right next to the driver's door (where I wish I could have punched the driver in the face).

Around 70ish seems to be the norm. I'd probably need a taller gear to go any faster. You guys hitting 80+, what gears are you running or was it purely just gravity?

Did about the same speed as MOB downhill on Mikuni yesterday, though can't remember whether it was 72.x or 73.x. This was top-speed on my carbon bike which I find is less stable than my aluminium one of the same make parked at my parents' place. I've done repeatedly 72km/h or so back in Germany - the alu frame makes me feel saver and the roads are much better. It is hard to find a long downhill stretch with perfect asphalt in Japan.

I've never reached these speeds while pedalling - with a compact crank that's impossible, but then I don't think it is desirable either as it would reduce stability further.

I don't keep track of top speeds in the flat since I don't like cycling in the flat to start with - too boring. I did a bit over 50km/h in the final sprint in Saiko which was good enough to win the race. Must have drafted even faster trucks and buses - when there is no resistance my pedalling on a compact crank is the limit. I know I could go faster with a standard, but don't see the point in losing what I value going uphill.

On my commute to work along R246 I will often hit the 70 + km mark, the fastest recorded on my daily commute being 74.9kph.

The final sprint at Saiko I hit 53.8kph, although I timed the attack wrong and was playing catch up. Although my average for the whole race was 41.6kph.

My fastest ever recorded speed was coming down Fiveways hill behind Arundel in West Sussex, its an old Roman road freshly laid and goes for about 2 miles. I was recorded by the Police doing 62.3mph and it took the police car 1 mile to catch up with me. oh to be young and naive again!

>On my commute to work along R246 I will often hit the 70 + km mark, the fastest recorded on my daily commute being 74.9kph.

Assume this is on some nice downhill stretch?

>The final sprint at Saiko I hit 53.8kph, although I timed the attack wrong and was playing catch up. Although my average for the whole race was 41.6kph.

The average doesn't mean much when one is drafting others. My class did about the same and it was easy drafting this leisurely with a low pulse rate.

>My fastest ever recorded speed was coming down Fiveways hill behind Arundel in West Sussex, its an old Roman road freshly laid and goes for about 2 miles. I was recorded by the Police doing 62.3mph and it took the police car 1 mile to catch up with me. oh to be young and naive again!

Wow, 100km/h! On what kind of bike? And how did the encounter with the police end?

Anyone with experience being "caught" exceeding the speed limit (does it apply to cyclists?) in Japan?

The down hill is not that long but pretty steep and I sprint down it to power up the other side, coming home is a little harder as I always seem to hit a red light coming back.

As for the Saiko, I was leading the Peleton from about 80% of the race....very little drafting for me on that one so I claim the 41.6kph average as my own....If i was back in the pack I wouldn't have claimed it.

The 99kph was on a Conrcode PDM road bike, once the police stopped me they asked the usual question "Do you know how fast you were going?" my answer was "No, but i would appreciate it if you told me."

They actually went after me as they couldn't believe I was on a push bike, the area is very popular with bikers and they sit in a side lane waiting for the road rashers to burn past..... they couldn't beleive it when 6 roadies flew past. They let me go with a warning that didn't really amount to much as they couldn't wipe the smiles off thier faces.

Oh, just to let you know in the UK the please can actually charge you whilst riding a bike.

Apparently you can be booked for:

*dangerous driving while in charge of a vehicle
*reckless driving while in charge of a vehicle
*drunk in charge of a vechile

I know there are others that you can get booked for, the trick is not to present your driving license, you'll get the fine but not the points.

As for the Saiko, I was leading the Peleton from about 80% of the race....very little drafting for me on that one so I claim the 41.6kph average as my own....If i was back in the pack I wouldn't have claimed it.

Fair enough. And now I know why you came in only third... :D We'll have to work on tactics for the next season. :) Matters more for D class and the tougher races.

Fair enough. And now I know why you came in only third... :D We'll have to work on tactics for the next season. :) Matters more for D class and the tougher races.

Help in tactics would be appreciated, coming from a TT and MTB racing background its all about putting in maximum power and then playing the out of sight out of mind game.

Works great for endurance racing but obviously not so good for stage racing..... Although as that was my second ever stage race I don't think I did so bad....but sprints finishes or in next years case placing just outside the promotion zone is where I need to focus.

84.3 km/hr

At the Transalp race in June/July this year, some of the descents from the mountains were rather steep but much straighter than mountain roads in Japan with less and wider curves. Spin (Austria), Stelvio and Gampenpass (italy) were really fantastic descents and after three or four days in the saddle one becomes more reckless going down. I reached more than 84 km/hr riding down from the Gampenpass on Day 6, which is probably my personal best and fastest. I also felt much safer riding a new carbon frame that is much more forgiving and comfortable when it comes to bumps on the road. Riding through a pothole with the Cevelo Solist (S1) alu frame, sometimes my hands lost contact with the handlebar as a result of the impact. This didn't happened so far with the carbon frame.

Still, all these speeds are rather slow compared to the A and B class riders at Transalp 2011 who were rather in the three digit zone.

Yes you can - unclip and 'free willy' . Jumping back in the clips is a little hairy, though - you'll burn up your shoes a bit (ask Andy what happened to mine).

God, at 190 I would become a yard sale. Anything more than 165-170 on 172.5 cranks and I start knee fibrillation.

comming down the same road on a fixed gear, 55kph at 190rpm. i physically couldnt go faster on my gearing

84.? km/h somewhere between Chicoutimi and Baie St. Paul, Quebec.
And the wheels were still true afterwards, if memory serves correctly.
Those roads compete with Japanese rindos for overall awesomesness, but the potholes will sometimes make you lose your nerve.

Fixed - 84km/h right before dropping my chain on a gnarly descent in the East of Shikoku. As fast as I was lucky that the wheel didn't lock up.

Free - I don't know. Still remember my first tiny descent on a road bike with 17 though, going 60 and thinking "this is crazy"

Back
Top Bottom