What's new

your cadence

massa

Warming-Up
Feb 22, 2008
Hi excellent bikers,

Do you want to talk about your cruising abilities?
What is your cruising cadence /on flat trails (with chain gears combination)?

Hi excellent bikers,

Do you want to talk about your cruising abilities?
What is your cruising cadence /on flat trails (with chain gears combination)?

It depends...

Sometimes I'll train with Jan Ulrich playing in the back of my head and other times Lance...

In the winter I work on strength and push a heavy gear in a low cadence a lot of the time.
When I'm approaching race season I mix it up a bit.

Closer to races I try and keep it at 100rpm or higher. Hopefully my strength is good, fitness is good...just need to get the natural temp of riding at a fast cadence so you actually ride fast and strong at the same time.

I tend to lose stability at 110rpm or higher and that may be due to the seat being at the wrong height or my legs being too short...
Have had it at 128rpm in a sprint finish/race.

On river runs... I'll warm up in a low cadence 70 to 80 to 90.
If I'm by myself I don't worry about it too much but if in a training group I keep it at 100rpm and use whatever gears will keep me at 100rpm depending on how fast we are going.

Last night nobody came to training so I put it in 52-11 and did a few laps. There is a 900m soft climb, a few long straights and a 300m sprint section. My legs feel great today after pushing this gear last night. If my team mates had of turned up I would have just been spinning an easy gear in the pack.

Don't know if this applies, but due to rainy wx, I've been using the machine in the gym more often. I do a little over 40 minutes, 4 minute chunks, trying to keep cadence/rpm around 88-89, and for the resistance I've keyed in, the machine tells me that's about 230 watts. (And then go for a swim!)

But I'm 58, and have never been in competition or a training group. I'm not sure how that translates into actual road performance, since neither of my bikes has a flight deck or any other cadence system, let alone some way to read watts while riding.

I keep my minimum cadence at 80-90rpm on flats.
Anything lower and my knee starts hurting, its also one reason i can't climb.

(i certainly don't count as an "Excellent Biker"!)

Don't know if I count as an "Excellent Biker", however....

Normally 85-95 rpm on the flat according to my cycle computer. My gear ratios are close enough to stay in that range.

AW.

80 to 90?

80~85 average on an average training ride. 80 on a hillclimb. 90 in a road race. 100 plus when desperately trying to cling on to the wheel in front.......:D:

I average 100 when im noramlly riding. down hills and such im aroudn the 135-140 mark topping out at 160 recently.
fixed gear

Don't know if this applies, but due to rainy wx, I've been using the machine in the gym more often. I do a little over 40 minutes, 4 minute chunks, trying to keep cadence/rpm around 88-89, and for the resistance I've keyed in, the machine tells me that's about 230 watts. (And then go for a swim!)

jdd,

Do the staff at the gym constantly remind you to slow down? That is what happens to me. They always want me to spin at about 60 rpm - I silently disagree.

I am not an "excellent biker" or racer. I mostly ride for fitness. I aim for 90 to 100 rpm mainly because I don't want to experience knee pain as well.

I live in Chiba-shi, so unfortunately almost all of my riding is on flat roads.

Over 3500km my average cadence is 84rpm.

Saiko Stage of Tour Du Japon Cadence averaged at 95rpm with a max of 120rpm for the sprint fininsh.

Back
Top Bottom