What's new

Yo, hello!

Lawrence

Speeding Up
Jul 23, 2011
Hi everyone!

I'm a 43 yr old American who has lived in Chiba City (on JR Keiyo Line a few stops from Soga) since '91 and have loved riding bikes since I was a kid.

Just got a 2011 Gios Compact Pro a few months ago and love it.

I have been riding my 20 yr old GT Team Avalanche mountain bike (mainly on the road) from my house to LaLaport and on the Hanamigawa Cycling Road.

I'm hoping to put in some longer rides (would like to do my first 100km!), join some of the Chiba/Tokyo rides and get rid of my (slight) gut, haha.

Have a months summer vacation coming up and hope to spend lots of time in the saddle.:road00:

Oh, was thinking of the Tour de Nikko but unfortunately am busy that day:
http://tour-de-nikko.jp/index.html

Welcome to the club. Looks like a sweet bike you got there. You better be doing some 100km+ rides on it before long. Ha.

Hope to see you around.

Thanks!

Well I'm doing 60km pretty regularly now (did today and may ride some tomorrow) but haven't gone farther yet.
I'm new to 'real' road ridin.

Ya, the Gios is so nice I'll be paying for it for the next 2 years, haha.
Doin the 10,000/month plan...

Since it's CroMo though hopin it'll last 20 years like my GT has.

That is good. I was able to get 60kms in too today.

If you can do 60, 100 should not be too much of a stretch. Once you are used to the seat, I think of it like walking - just keep putting one foot in front of the other, and before you know it, you are there.

That bike should last you, and so classic looking - it'll never be dated. Nice choice.

Ya, glad the boss (wife, haha) finally gave me the OK to buy it.

Think the seat will always hurt my butt, haha.
Oh, now I have a Selle Italia Turbomatic Gel Flow on it (different than the pic).

I also try to keep at 90 rpms (glad my new computer has cadence).

Need a place to do the kms, goin to LaLaport 3 times (to get 100 km in) would be kinda boring/repetitive.

They used to have Chiba Boso rides here but I guess no one is doin them now?

Maybe I should hop on the train and do a ride w/you in Kawasaki?
Have a bag for my bike but haven't used it yet.

Hey Lawrence!
if your looking for a place to put in some kms. I just rode from Shinjuku to Katsuura beach (in Chiba) to meet some friends there.
i thought the roads would be pretty shitty but once past Chiba I actually really enjoyed the terrain/roads across the peninsula!
just past soda station i took the mobara highway (hwy. 14) straight to the coast and then turned south on the 'beach line' road.
i'm sure that return trip would be an easy 100km>
also, for me, i always just stick to the arakawa or edogawa, from chiba both are a bit annoying to reach but once your there, CLEAN SAILING

Thanks for the tips.

I guess my requirements are not too many 'family cyclists' or streets with many cars (and not much room on the sides for bikes).

The beach route to Lalaport has no parked cars and lotsa room (in most places) to ride on the side.

I think Route 14 is a little too crowded and with cars parked on the sides it is difficult to ride on.

Hanamigawa is only good for my road bike on the weekdays.
It's too crowded on the weekends.

Wanna try Arakawa (from Kasai Rinkai Park, I'd just take the train there) but that'll have to be on a weekday as well.
The Edogawa on a weekday by train should be doable as well.

My friend (not a cyclist but he drove) said the beach routes on Chiba Peninsula could be crowded and windy- he suggested the inland roads. Being more 'country side' they shouldn't be crowded at all.

Also how is Tokyo City during the weekend- are there many cars?

Is my above thinkin correct (please tell me if I'm wrong as I haven't ridden any of those places yet)?

Put 60km on my mountain bike today.

Back
Top Bottom