What's new

Yay or nay thread...

Edogawakikkoman

Maximum Pace
Jan 14, 2007
Always looking for some quick feedback on things....thought a Yay or Nay thread may come in handy...

Just after some thoughts on items...(sometimes)

anybody have any thoughts on this?

STRADA SMART (SPD/CDC) CC-RD500B

http://www.shopcateye.com/product/strada-smart-spdcdc-cc-rd500b

My sister is about to get her first road bike and she won't want to splash out too much...ie. Garmins etc...
Always liked cateye when I started out... tempted to get one of these as well...

Want to recommend her something that will be cool enough and simple as well...

Throw in the heart rate sensor though and it's starting to get pricey....

All of the power of your smartphone in full view on your cycle computer.

The Bluetooth enabled Strada Smart connects with your smartphone through the CatEye Cycling App. The Strada Smart is mounted on your handlebar or stem, while the smartphone is stashed out of harms way in a pocket or saddle bag.

In Mirror Mode, the App records ride data and transmits a copy to the Strada Smart. Phone call and email alert icons are also displayed. The phone is kept in sleep mode, preserving the battery.

When smartphone use is not an option, Sensor Direct mode can be used as a back up. Sensor Direct mode syncs the Strada Smart directly with traditional Speed, Cadence, Heart Rate and Power sensors, so important ride data is always available.
Post ride, the data is easily uploaded from the App to training sites.

Comes with computer and speed/cadence sensor

On a more important note...nothing wrong with my bike...except it feels a fraction too small for me... should I get a new one...???

Giant Propel is calling me....

My new Trek Madone 5.2 was a 2008 model that sat in the shop for 2 years...in almost mint condition....due to being a lazy boy...
I bought that when my Trek5500 was starting to look vintage...
Still have a 12 year old Fondriest as well for wet weather....then my Scott MTB!!!

The giant looks like great value though...but not sure on the funky brake system it seems to have....

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bikes/model/2014.giant.propel.advanced.2/14967/66523/

. . .
Want to recommend her something that will be cool enough and simple as well...

(Cough) I'm sure you mean well, and it's very generous, and all that -- but would she really be interested?

(No reason to think that your sister is anything like mine, but mine would look at this as if it had arrived from some faraway galaxy.)

(Cough) I'm sure you mean well, and it's very generous, and all that -- but would she really be interested?

(No reason to think that your sister is anything like mine, but mine would look at this as if it had arrived from some faraway galaxy.)
I'm hoping the novelty of having her phone and bike working together may make her ride more...and look at her riding data on the phone in the train on the way to work...
Just going for a ride and ride only may start to get boring for her... I'm hoping she becomes a data freak....to get out on it more...

too bad we can't edit Subjects....

I'm just fishing for some Yays...so when I order the bike I can share the blame with you guys...
you have a brother in Japan right? Just say he bought it by mistake and it doesn't fit him, you are helping him out by keeping the wheels round. We all know wheels get flat spots if they dont get rotated.

I'm hoping the novelty of having her phone and bike working together may make her ride more...and look at her riding data on the phone in the train on the way to work...
Just going for a ride and ride only may start to get boring for her... I'm hoping she becomes a data freak....to get out on it more...

When I started on a succession of Cat Eyes (the majority of which went kaput, got lost, etc), my main reaction: "Oh, great, I now have the numbers to show I'm just as slow and useless as I thought I was." Maybe wait till she writes to boast of how far/fast she thinks she's going?

Many sisters could/would enjoy a copy of Grant Petersen's Just Ride. Few thinking readers will be able to read any five pages of this without finding something they disagree with (illustrations), but the miscellaneous complaints rarely include "boring". The author's a bit of a grouch, but amusingly so, and he's full of ideas for riding more.

On a more important note...nothing wrong with my bike...except it feels a fraction too small for me... should I get a new one...???

Don't settle for half measures. (Inspiration for you.)

Last edited:

Nay

Giant Propel is calling me....
/

Yay

1) I bought the wife a cheap Cateye computer when she got her bike thinking that if she saw the *supposed* calories being burnt each time, it might encourage her to ride more. Didn`t really pay any attention to it, so has been in the cupboard for a few years. Hence, i`d go for a cheap computer, see if she uses it, and then take it from there. The other thing is...does the computer need to sync to the smart phone? Seems to me that you could have the computer, plus have the data sent to the smart phone from the sensor at the same time, with the relevant adaptor for the smart phone (if any is needed). Or just use apps relying on GPS to record the data on the smart phone. Is there any reason why the computer needs to send said data to the smart phone??? Personally, I wouldn`t want phone call and email alerts when riding, and in general, they could be dangerous if someone sees an alert, and instantly reaches for the phone

2) If you can afford it, they seem as good a bike as any around...according to reviews. But don`t forget, sale time is upon us soon, so I wouldn`t order it just yet.
`

Back
Top Bottom