What's new

Yamanakako loop

thomas

The Crank Engine
Nov 1, 2005
While Travis, Aaron, Paul and Sean were cranking up the hills around Uenohara last Saturday, Philip and I embarked on a swift Yamanakako loop - and swift it was indeed! :)

We decided to meet at 6:30AM in Setagaya, but due to a punk near Shiba koen I was a bit late. After pumping up my rear tyre at Philip's place we set out for Yamanashi, taking Routes 246, 16, 412, 517, 35, and 139 (Philip, please correct me - first time I have taken that route). We were really fast and stopped only once at a convenience store along Route 412(?). While we were munching our onigiri we saw a familiar-looking cyclist chasing by - beard, yellow windbreaker, white Anchor bike... Arai-san! Unfortunately, he had passed too fast to notice us.

Roads 517 and 35 were really great! We had sunshine, and the long winding roads with their sharp turns, short yet steep climbs and rewarding descents were truly exciting. The tailwind along Road 35 made us fly with up to 50kph on the flat. We finally reached Lake Yamanaka around 12 o'clock. The last 10km were tough: my derriere suffered from the constant ascent, the numbness made it difficult to keep up with Philip. However, being the gentleman rider he is, Philip waited for me before we triumphantly rode into town tethering our horses right in front of Denny's where we regenerated over heaps of French fries.

We left around 1PM when a light drizzle was setting in. We took Route 413 through Doshi Valley, more or less a constant descent for nearly 40km - fantastic landscape, fantastic speed! Traffic increased in the proximity of Hashimoto: Philip had a close encounter with a car that turned left without warning, I collided with a scooter and got entangled with its rear mirror. Business as usual. :warau:

Taking Routes 16 and 246 we reached Setagaya on schedule, at 5PM sharp ending a perfect ride.

Philip, I cannot thank you enough for that textbook tour, it was a great pleasure riding with you!

My stats (door-to-door):

Distance 257,09 km
Av 27,6
Mx 65,7
Tm 9:17'44

Nice report Thomas

Phil and that Dennys. He loves that place.

The next time you guys organise a Sunday ride let me know. There's a couple of french guys lurking around that are training for IM's and are keen for a few hills. (we can't due satrudays due a swmming)

I'll be up for it as well. Not sure if the foot will hold up,but I'll make sure a pack a decent dose of sudafed with me.

Plus I still owe Phil lunch with a big bunch of fries swimming in salt.

fluro

Thank you Thomas . . .

A great report on a furious, fast, fun ride. (Navigation is perfect). I had secretly hoped I might get a break on the hills with Christoph out of the country - but you shattered that illusion immediately on R517 ;)

257KM (Your new record I believe) at an average of 27.6KPH - amazing! :cool:

I clocked 220KM and had the same average speed - but I managed to hit 71KPH somewhere - probably down R413 when desperately seeking a bathroom :eek:

R517 and R35 were beautiful in the morning sunshine. The climb to Mount Fuji is only appreciated when you arrive at Denny's (and Denny's only appreciated after climbing up to Mount Fuji :D ). The roll down R413 is always an adrenaline rush. The chase down R16 and R246 was very quick - my wife was somewhat surprised to see me walk through the door at 5:00PM as promised! Did you get to Ginza on time?

Needless to say I enjoyed myself immensely. Lets do it again soon!

Cheers,

Philip

While we were munching our onigiri we saw a familiar-looking cyclist chasing by - beard, yellow windbreaker, white Anchor bike... Arai-san! Unfortunately, he had passed too fast to notice us.

Thomas

I did not know you saw me. Where was it? Last Saturday, I myslef made to Otarumi pass via Rt20, then going to Miyagase lake. Then, I decided to challenge Yabitsu pass. But the route to Yabitsu from this side was easy. On riding down to Hadano city from Yabitsu pass, I found it much tough to climb from that end. I was lucky I did not make from that end. The guy who I met at the Yabitsu proudly said he made it in 36 minutes to the pass. I may need more than one hour. Anyway, I return back to my place via nice country road.

Minoru Arai

The chase down R16 and R246 was very quick - my wife was somewhat surprised to see me walk through the door at 5:00PM as promised! Did you get to Ginza on time?

I hope you could enjoy your party. Yes, I made it to Ginza on time. I must have stood out in my dustiness. :D

Needless to say I enjoyed myself immensely. Lets do it again soon!

I absolutely insist. Hopefully, Christoph and others will be able to join as well.

I did not know you saw me. Where was it?

Arai-san, that must have been some place around Hashimoto. I believe we stopped at a convenience store along R412. You were just too fast. :)

I hope so too - unfortunatelly still in germany but more ore less on the way back home. I'm going to miss the next weekend trough the flight but for the 28th I really would like to visit the Denny's again. For that sunday I'am out again because I should get some household stuff....

So see you all at next weekend.
Cheers
Christoph

Another Yamakako loop from different route

I and two friends embarked to Yamanaka ko lake, making a big loop from my place. It was another fantastice ride.

We all met at Hashimoto station and started our journey at 8:00AM. We chose 413 and just kept pedaling. Passing Tsukui ko late, trafic became sparse. We just kept going and going on 413, enjoying nice countri side scenary. The peak is Yamabushi pass, 1100 m elevation. 413 was not too hard untill 1km before the pass. 100m ascent in 1km. From the peak, descent is always fantastic.

From Yamaka ko lake, we took the route 138 and then 139, going down to Fujiyoshida and then Tsuru. This route until Tsuru is 25km and was just descent only. We were able to hit over 40Km/hr in average. From Tsuru, we turned right just before we hit route20 toward Hinazuru pass and then down to Sagamiko. We rode this route a month ago and found this is the best alternative to route 20. This rout is very quite. Short ascent gives you loooong descent to Sagamiko. From Sagamiko, we joined route 20, hitting Otarumi pass and then going down to Hachioji. The road from Otarumi pass is another long descent and is very easy to ride. This is my favorite route.

This big loop from my place was 190Km.

I and two friends embarked to Yamanaka ko lake, making a big loop from my place. It was another fantastice ride. This big loop from my place was 190Km.

Congratulations, Arai-san! Seems you had a wonderful ride! :)

Well done, Arai-san!

It looks like the loop you took is almost the exact opposite of what we will ride on the "7/7 Fuji Tozan" ride. It looks like a great course, and I can't wait!
See you there! トラ

Back
Top Bottom