What's new

XC skiing advice

andywood

Maximum Pace
Apr 8, 2008
Help me!

Luka pointed out to me the other day that some of my snow shoeing training could be done on skis.

Certainly the training I did today, up and down the banks of the river, would have been good on skis.

20210108_164138.jpg
20210108_145720.jpg

I'm thinking of getting some skis for training like this on the flat and maybe climbing up snow covered passes. For steeper mountain trails I'm happy to go with snow shoes.

Does anyone have advice on necessary equipment? Any recommendations on good equipment?

I'm guessing I need suitable skis, boots and bindings?

Any advice or comments much appreciated.

Cheers, Andy

CC ski courses are almost always "groomed"--you're not breaking thru fresh snow (above pic), like on shoes. On flats like that you might find moving along a little teensy bit easier, but then there'll be those places where skis will be awkward and having snowshoes on far better.

If you're able to try CC out somewhere, opt for skin skis, the newest-fangled versions. (and that's not CC skis that you put skins on, they're skinless skis both glide well and let you push.)

I know what kind of setup I would get for off the piste skiing in the mountains, at least what was the latest when I was more into winter alpine climbing 3 years ago. that's the kind of setup I shared with you last time. I assume you have the outer shells (the waterproofs), so you're gonna need essentially boots, skis and bindings as you say. probably some poles and perhaps eyewear? there must be some ski equipment shops near you? I'd go talk to them for something like this

CC ski courses are almost always "groomed"--you're not breaking thru fresh snow (above pic), like on shoes. On flats like that you might find moving along a little teensy bit easier, but then there'll be those places where skis will be awkward and having snowshoes on far better.

If you're able to try CC out somewhere, opt for skin skis, the newest-fangled versions. (and that's not CC skis that you put skins on, they're skinless skis both glide well and let you push.)
Thanks I realized the difference between cross country and back country!

There are a few groomed courses. They have rental equipment which would perhaps be the way to go.

I think a back country set up might help me on the local routes here.

Cheers, Andy

I know I am wired different - but that pic makes me want a fat bike sooooo bad!

View attachment 29250
A fat bike would be great for my daily commute.

IMG_20210109_133858.jpg
Or even the kakuda trail. But I think it would be impossible on the snow covered passes.

IMG_20210109_133837.jpg
I guess you know Albert in Hakuba? He seems to be having fun on a fat bike up there.

Another bike for the wishlist!

Thanks, Andy

that is not much slope there which makes for a god workout. Touring skis are probably what you want. Normal CC skis will not float on powder. Split board won't glide up a gentle slope.
See if you can find a pair to trial first and learn about wax types.
https://www.ici-sports.com/shop/niigata/ should be able to steer you in the right direction.

Cheers, yeah that's the info I'm getting.

A mate uphill in Uonoma got some for cross training on the rice fields in his neighborhood (he already has a back country set up)but they just don't work.

Niigata is a way from here. The closest shop is Parr Mark in Nagaoka.

I need to visit anyway as I lost a rivet on my snow shoes. Snowed in this weekend though as I guess you are too!

Cheers, Andy

Cool that's just what I needed!

If I go with this, my focus would be on the exercise / exploration side of things, so I got a good idea of what to go for.

Unfortunately, like bikes, not much of a second hand market for big guys in Japan I guess.

Thanks for the headsup.

Andy

Unfortunately, like bikes, not much of a second hand market for big guys in Japan I guess.
how much do you weigh? How tall you are means nothing on skis or snowboards (presuming your footwear and bindings fit. ) Skis don't look up to confirm height.

Yep, still dumping up here. predicting -10 tonight so little thawing as well.

how much do you weigh? How tall you are means nothing on skis or snowboards (presuming your footwear and bindings fit. ) Skis don't look up to confirm height.

Yep, still dumping up here. predicting -10 tonight so little thawing as well.

Yeah 75kg with 30cm feet which makes 2nd hand boots very unlikely. Skis not so sure, my man in Uonoma was recommending:

「There is backcountry Nordic gear. If you are serious, I think that's what you want. Get old fashioned hiking boot style boots with 3 pin bindings. Not NNN. Not SNS. Not even BC NNN, I think. The 75 mm 3 pin are the way to go. And then you need some big skis. I guess at least 60 mm wide underfoot if they are over 210 cm long. Wider if you want to go shorter. You need surface area.」

So I'm guessing unlikely...

Need to find someone who is hanging up their skis!

Andy

Back
Top Bottom