What's new

Wouter Weylandt dead.

onm

Sep 2, 2009
I don't have links, but this is very sad.

Can someone edit this post to bring it up to date; was just getting the info from Twitter.

>> Link <<

Wow, that is tragic, only 26 :eek:

I was watching the stage last night, and there was a rather nasty picture of him lying on the road... scary stuff. It is very sad to hear this news, sorry for his family too :(

Great sadness

What a tragedy. It all happened so fast...left pedal getting caught behind some barrier...he had such a bright future in front of him. Belgium just lost another great cyclist. May Wouter's soul rest in peace.

If you feel like looking for a video of the crash and subsequent attempts to save his life, out of morbid curiosity, just don't. Trust me when I tell you that it is highly upsetting and you don't want to see what happens. Wish I hadn't seen it now.

R.I.P.

If you feel like looking for a video of the crash and subsequent attempts to save his life, out of morbid curiosity, just don't. Trust me when I tell you that it is highly upsetting and you don't want to see what happens. Wish I hadn't seen it now.

R.I.P.

I fully agree with this. I saw the recorded stage yesterday night on TV after I have read the news about the accident. I cannot understand why it is necessary to zoom in on all details. Sorry, this is not correct.

Weylandt crash

Well. I was at home watching this "LIVE" on J Sports Plus. The actual contact he made with the wall of the mountain was not caught on camera, but his lifeless body lying on the road below was. The motorcycle camera man was shooting for a few seconds and then panned off when he saw the real condition of Wouter (in respect for family members I assume). When I saw that moment, he was bleeding profusely from the head area and the head was swollen. They were cutting his helmet strap, a bib straps to start CPR on Wouter. Right then I knew that it was bad. Wouter contacted the side of the wall on the side of the road at about 80 kmph, lost control of his machine and launched him off the road above to the road below which was a 20 meter drop. By reading the news and getting information, he landed on his head in which he received fractures to the base of his scull. We all know helmets do protect, but they were tested with a 20 meter drop test. R.I.P. Weylandt Wouter. Strange part is, he won this 3rd Stage in Giro 2010. Sad! A few riders below saw Wouter hit the ground below in front of them and sad it was HORRIBLE. It was sad seeing a few hrs prior Wouter riding "domestique" for his team and issuing them water bottles and then within 20 km of the finish.....DEAD! Life is short guys.

Really sad news. I hope he rests in peace and his girfriend and unborn child are well looked after.

Lets all please be careful out there.

If you would like to donate to Wouter`s family...

That footage will stay with me forever, I was watching live here in London. It was not the director`s fault, everything happened so quickly. I screamed when I saw it. Thank heaven he did not suffer, it was instant death apparently.

Here is the official site and if you wish then you can contribute via PayPal too...

https://www.facebook.com/notes/leopard-trek/donations-wouter-weylandt/161493960581968

Let us hope for a happier future for his family and the joy of a newborn to come soon.

Charles aka chazzer

Back
Top Bottom