Feedback Would you use a Live Chat feature?

TCC

Tokyo Cycling Club
Jun 30, 2013
The new software which Tokyo Cycling Club runs on is extremely well developed, and as such comes with a highly sophisticated and well supported development environment, allowing us to take customisation and upgrading to a whole new level.

One possibility would be to write a dedicated Chat system, similar to the one Facebook uses, for this website.

Doing this is entirely possible, but at the same time would be a serious job. There exists a basic framework for this already, but to integrate it into the website would be no small task.

We are happy to embark on this, but due to the time consuming nature of a programming job like this, we would need to know if there was a demand for it first.

So, if you think you would like a Chat feature for this website, do say. If you would not use it, again, please do say. If there is sufficient demand, we go for it. If not, well, we might go for it anyway just to prove to ourselves that we can, and then release it at some unspecified time in the future.

Thank you.

Sheep

Maximum Pace
Jul 27, 2009
Tokyo
Another "no" here. I've seen live chat systems on many forums and they're rarely used after the first few weeks. People want to be able to look back on old conversations, so the regular forum is perfect.

TCC

Tokyo Cycling Club
Jun 30, 2013
Thanks for the feedback.

That is a 'no' for live chat then.

Speaking generally, please feel free to suggest any other features / refinements as you think of them. The main engine of the forum is now complete, and we are at a stage where we are able to concentrate on new features and functionality.

Thanks.

microcord

Maximum Pace
Aug 28, 2012
Tokyo
Well, erm, it would be good if the search facility worked. For me, it usually says that no results were found, so I just use a search engine instead; this confirms that what I was looking for did indeed exist.

I'd guess that the search facility is broken in some way that can't be fixed easily, if at all, by anybody other than XenForo. If that's so, or until it can be fixed, how about simply removing the (appearance of a) search facility? This would save people time and unneeded disappointment.

TCC

Tokyo Cycling Club
Jun 30, 2013
Could you explain what is not working with the search feature, in as much detail as you are willing to go into?

Thanks in advance.

microcord

Maximum Pace
Aug 28, 2012
Tokyo
Ha ha, that will be easy -- oh, hang on a moment, nothing seems to be wrong with it.

But really, just a couple of hours ago it was reporting that nothing was found for this or that search term. And this certainly wasn't the first time that that had happened. I wasn't just imagining this (a worthless assertion, of course), and my spelling is pretty good (another worthless assertion, but you can judge this for yourself).

I can only guess that the program somehow flips between two states, one where searches work and the other where they produce the message that nothing is found. Or of course I sporadically hallucinate.

Sheep

Maximum Pace
Jul 27, 2009
Tokyo
I also had problems with search - think it was a case of working when I used quotation marks around a two word phrase but no results when not using them (I.e. didn't search for individual words)... Or something. It was a week ago and I can't fully remember.

TCC

Tokyo Cycling Club
Jun 30, 2013
In a bid to pinpoint the problem, or the existence of a problem, if you have an issue with the search function from this point on, reporting the specifics would be very useful, thanks.

TCC

Tokyo Cycling Club
Jun 30, 2013
'No thank you' to a live chat feature, or 'no thank you' to the request to report specific issues with the search function?

The Live Chat decision has already been made, in the negative.

Musashi13

Maximum Pace
Aug 27, 2012
Ichikawa, Chiba
'No thank you' to a live chat feature, or 'no thank you' to the request to report specific issues with the search function?

The Live Chat decision has already been made, in the negative.
Tetchy.

I would like the top forum options (sure there is a better description) at the bottom, too.
It would make life that minuscule amount easier if I didn't have to click "Top" then "What's new" and instead could just click "What's new" from the bottom.
In reality the place looks spiffy, well done, first rate job. I get the functionality I require, others may be more needy and I'm sure they'll let you know soon enough.

TCC

Tokyo Cycling Club
Jun 30, 2013
I would like the top forum options (sure there is a better description) at the bottom, too.
It would make life that minuscule amount easier if I didn't have to click "Top" then "What's new" and instead could just click "What's new" from the bottom.
If we implemented this, where specifically at the bottom would you like these options to be?

Possibilities;

-Directly under the last post of the thread
-Above the comment box, but below advertising
-Below the comment box
-Below the navigation tabs (Home>Forums>Updates&Feedback>Updates, Feedback & Admin Contact)

TCC

Tokyo Cycling Club
Jun 30, 2013
As the person who suggested the idea, we wondered if you had any preference and wanted to give you the choice.

Musashi13

Maximum Pace
Aug 27, 2012
Ichikawa, Chiba
Thanks for the consideration.

Your suggestion of below the last comment but above the new comment box works best for me, functionally, but might look cluttered. Maybe above the forum navigation bar would be ideal.

Sikochi

Maximum Pace
Sep 13, 2010
Kochi
For me, the issue with search is that it doesn`t *seem* to list the results chronologically.

EDIT - ignore this comment, just tried using search and I note that the results do now come up in date order.

PS: No to live chat.