What's new

Wireless routers

kiwisimon

Maximum Pace
Dec 14, 2006
Hey, I need some high tech advice for when I am "cycling" and want to connect to the internet with my devices and PC. Which companies offer the best speed versus prices and what advice do the TCCers have? I will also be using the router for working on work stuff as I roam around a bit. Speed is pretty important as I do get quite a number of files and such. No video streaming in the main but the occasional you tube. Appreciate any advice, at this stage the Docomo or Emobile services look good. Softbank a non starter due to their crappy coverage up here, oh and in an emergency they are first down and last up IMHO.

I use AU and have WiMax on my phone. I have tethered it to my work laptop several times with ease. As with everything, it depends on the coverage. I was stuck in Yokosuka for a few hours (and knew i would be) so I took my work laptop and was productive in my downtime.

I have not tested the WiMax coverage too much outside of Yokohama, Tokyo and Yokosuka.

I have 3.

Emobile - expensive, but good strong signal.

BicCamera WiMax - only works in Tokyo. Not good for you.

NTTDocomo XI bf-01D - the best one. Also able to use a LAN cable as well.

I have 3.

NTTDocomo XI bf-01D - the best one. Also able to use a LAN cable as well.

Thanks Owen. As I am a docomo customer with my Blackberry I'll see what kind of a deal they can do me when I upgrade to BB10. LAN cable is good.

Yeah, I got a deal on that one as I am also a Docomo customer for my phone.

The LAN cable exists as a port on a caddy you put the main device in.

It is not the smallest device in the world, but it is the best one of the 3 I own. The WiMax one is very strong when it works, but I find the coverage limited.

Update

Just got off the phone to emobile.

Stay away from them. Dreadful service. PM me if you want details, but for those who are thinking of going with them... don't.

Update

Just got off the phone to emobile.

Stay away from them. Dreadful service. PM me if you want details, but for those who are thinking of going with them... don't.

Thanks forthat cause i just priced docomo, not cheap but they do have a good service and I'm happy with what I have had from them thus far. Have to see the partner and weigh up our mobile options. Will scratch emobile.

Jail Broken iPhone running MyWi tethering which connects all my mobile devices to a 3G network. No extra costs as Im on Double white plan with unlimited upload/downloads.

Why pay for something Im already paying for?

No extra costs as I'm on Double white plan with unlimited upload/downloads.

Why pay for something I'm already paying for?

Because Simon said:
Softbank a non starter due to their crappy coverage up here, oh and in an emergency they are first down and last up IMHO.

My Android 4.0.4 does tethering (via BT or WiFi) out of the box, no rooting / jailbreaking required, but it's also on Softbank. When I go hiking with friends who are on au or docomo it's the first to lose reception. On the other hand, things are set to improve after Softbank bought eAccess (owner of eMobile) and gained access to its network of 10,000 base stations and its frequency bands (even after having to sell two thirds of it again due to regulatory restrictions).

Jail Broken iPhone running MyWi tethering which connects all my mobile devices to a 3G network. No extra costs as Im on Double white plan with unlimited upload/downloads.

Why pay for something Im already paying for?

So, you have your phone is effectively running as a wifi point, and all of the other mobile devices you have in the vicinity, connect to the internet through it?

I do the same with my Samsung Nexus. I actually just cancelled my eMobile wifi connection last night, as they were being utter UTTER bellends, and now just use my phone when out and about. Like you, I have the full service plan on my phone. It is not as fast as using a dedicated wifi device, but good enough for browser based stuff.

SoftBank should get a lot better coverage over the next while as they were finally properly licensed for a second lower band last year (their ridiculously named Platinum Band). I heard of rumours going back as far as the Vodafone days that the then Vodafone owned provider (now SoftBank) had applied for a second band but the government regulators were dragging their feet in favour of allowing DoCoMo (NTT) and AU (KDDI), both of whom are far more government tied, competitive advantage.

Anyway, a lower band should give a lot better backup coverage in those hard-to-reach places as more towers go online (including, gasp, data services in the subway). In that case, iPhone's belatedly activated Personal Hotspot feature on SoftBank should soon fill in for most minor data transfer and syncing needs for those who already have iPhones and don't feel like adding multiple devices and subscriptions to their lives (tethering has also worked on Android in Japan for a while, officially or otherwise).

their ridiculously named Platinum Band

I guess it's supposed to indicate higher value, as the signals in the 700-900 MHz range penetrate walls more easily and hence offer better reception than 2100 MHz.

They got the band allocated in March and started rolling it out from July. Then in October there was the news about the eAccess acquisition, which is supposed to give them access to 50% more base stations. So I guess eventually they'lll catch up with KDDI and NTT.

I guess it's supposed to indicate higher value, as the signals in the 700-900 MHz range penetrate walls more easily and hence offer better reception than 2100 MHz.

They got the band allocated in March and started rolling it out from July. Then in October there was the news about the eAccess acquisition, which is supposed to give them access to 50% more base stations. So I guess eventually they'lll catch up with KDDI and NTT.

I am personally happy that they got a more penetrating lower frequency band, I just think naming it is silly (as opposed to simply announcing extended coverage and penetration), especially when you are late to arrive.

<Edit: Just for full disclosure: I personally don't really like labels like Platinum Band for professional reasons. I have been forced to patiently explain to several people at a previous workplace that there was no real reason to jump carriers and break contract simply because SoftBank now had a special thing called Platinum Band that no one else seemed to be advertising ;) >

I have been forced to patiently explain to several people at a previous workplace that there was no real reason to jump carriers and break contract simply because SoftBank now had a special thing called Platinum Band that no one else seemed to be advertising ;) >

Forced by what? Your own desire to prove your 1337ness? :)

Forced by the need to cut mobile phone usage costs in the company and a directive from above saying that we were responsible for doing so. My 1337|\|355 was never an issue ;)

My 1337|\|355 was never an issue ;)

tumblr_lzytawj7RZ1qir083o1_500.jpg

Yes, the signal is usually a strong one. When it's there at all, that is. Irritatingly often, it isn't there. How this compares with Emobile's rivals, I can't say from direct experience.

For a thousand yen or so more a month, you can use Biglobe LTE, which (if I understand correctly) uses Docomo and therefore should have better coverage.

How much do you guys pay typically a month for your services? I asked and it was 8400 just to rent the router each month, after he picked my jaw off the floor and had returned it with a bow he then told me my unlimited data plan for cell phone and router would be about 4000.
I'll have to go back to selling my body for sex at that rate.........who knows I might actually get a customer this time.......and she might even pay me, as opposed to vice versa.

Back
Top Bottom