What's new

Help winterizing a road bike

rommelgc

Maximum Pace
Sep 3, 2009
Hello all,

This question has been in my head for several weeks now.

There is already a good topic about winter gear but what does it take to winterize a road bike? I've got no pennies to buy a cyclocross specific bike but I do have 3 sets of wheels. The goal is to have a bike ready to run and can be confidently used even if there is some ice/snow on the road, it will not be used for full on cyclocross (mud, ruts, roots, etc) specially when wet..

The only thing I can think of is switching to fatter tires. I haven't played much with tires opting to use only 23mms on my wheels. I also haven't checked the clearance of my chainstays, but the equipes that I have can go up to 32mm tires according to the specs.

If I go to a fatter tire, does that imply the tire will also be taller? I'm afraid of the tire having no clearance with the caliper brake (pre-2010 Shimano 105 group). Has anyone ran a fat tire with this combo?

Anyone have a good tire (knobbed, or not) recommendation, 28mm up to 32mm that is locally available?

Regards,

I'd say you don't need to winterize a bike in the Kanto region. It very rarely snows in the lowlands (0, 1 or 2 days/winter it seems, at least the last few years) and rainfall is less than certain other seasons (or at least, that is my impression.) The weather is crisp, cool and dry rather than wet and icy...

Of course, if you are talking about taking on the winter toges, then that's a different story... :)

The only thing I can think of is switching to fatter tires. I haven't played much with tires opting to use only 23mms on my wheels. I also haven't checked the clearance of my chainstays, but the equipes that I have can go up to 32mm tires according to the specs.

If I go to a fatter tire, does that imply the tire will also be taller? I'm afraid of the tire having no clearance with the caliper brake (pre-2010 Shimano 105 group). Has anyone ran a fat tire with this combo?

Anyone have a good tire (knobbed, or not) recommendation, 28mm up to 32mm that is locally available?

Regards,

As for Tokyo, I'd agree with Phil's post, above. No real winter to worry about. Also...

a) I've had schwalbe marathon 32mm on my cross/touring bike now for two seasons, with no problem. (On narrow road rims, that would usually run a 23 or 25.) Good tread, but it can be a little noisy.

b) It will be taller, but you've got the bike to look at, and nobody here does.... One factor for a fatter tire, given your brakes, is that you may (or may not) have to deflate a fatter tire to get the wheel on and off, even when you've released the tension on them. Some calipers release more than others. The brakes on the above bike are on the edge--I can get a wheel with an inflated tire off, but just. YMMV

No real switch over in my kit (other than clothing) for winter and the toge's. Tyres will be the same (Conti 4000, 23mm). Will take one of the bottle cages off, that's it.

ditto. most winter days in tokyo area clear and dry. I think its some of the better colder places in the world to bike during winters...

BTW, apart from the big state highways, most of the toges/passes freeze over above 350m-400m elevation and many will become unpassable. So that I can do some "hikeling" on the icy patches, i like to swap pedals to spds (mtn bike).

I always wax my chain for winter riding. And use a dry microparticle lube like Pedro's or Dumonde. Makes for much easier cleaning and overall mtc. BTW - you can get paraffin wax at Tokyu Hands - took me forever to find it here in Japan ....

Don't forget, if it's icy out, to drop your tire pressure a few bars. You will get more grip with lower pressures and seriously, winter in Kanto is nothing to worry about.

Here we go, got curious so looked it up. Monthly precipitation in Tokyo. Question is, how do you summer-ize your bike?

Agree with Phil. You don't need a winterized bike in Kanto even when going to the mountains. What you need is warm comfortable clothing.

Here's me, Keith(zenbiker), Sam and Eric during one of our winter rides last winter up tomin.
005-2.jpg

032.jpg

033-1.jpg

034.jpg

036-1.jpg

Unless you will go offroad!

Thanks for the inputs everyone. Very much appreciated. Saved my wallet a bit.
So I'll keep my 23mm with some pressure adjustments then.

Tim, I'm using COTS Finish Line wax lube most of the time.
Jec, I'm wary of conditions like the one in #4 photo but it seems my uneasiness is unfounded.

Back
Top Bottom