What's new

Winter Wear - HOT or NOT!

GSAstuto

Maximum Pace
Oct 11, 2009
Short listing only!

Pearl Izumi 'Zero' Gloves - NOT! Wind cut through them like liquid nitrogen!
Giordana Woolies (30yr old) - Still my favs! Way better than any 'tech wear' I've used.
Uniqlo Heat Tech - HOT
Descent Winter Jersey - Another from my ancient closet - I love this so much.
Wool 'sherpa' cap - HOT With ear flaps and made from whatever they use in Nepal. Another 'go to' from my ancient closet.
Bicycle Line Super Socks - HOT . A new prdt - I really like the cush, warmth and breathable fabric.
Neoprene Booties - HOT. Less than 1000yen at any WORKMAN store - farmers use them as inners for rubber boots. I cut the tops and use them as outers for cycling.
Betones - MIXED. Concept is great, But I feel like they are a bit rough. Still looking for the ultimate "1st layer" so I can get 3 up on my lower section.
Pantagonia base - HOT. Aside from the fact it STINKS SO BAD after a ride, the fabric is still one of my favs for cold weather.

Embrocation - HOT. My pre-ride ritual. Besides the effect of the capsicum oleoresin, the sealing nature of beeswax and oil keeps the chill somehow a little more at bay. And definitely when things get wet - you want this stuff ON.

Short listing only!

Pearl Izumi 'Zero' Gloves - NOT! Wind cut through them like liquid nitrogen!
Giordana Woolies (30yr old) - Still my favs! Way better than any 'tech wear' I've used.
Uniqlo Heat Tech - HOT
Descent Winter Jersey - Another from my ancient closet - I love this so much.
Wool 'sherpa' cap - HOT With ear flaps and made from whatever they use in Nepal. Another 'go to' from my ancient closet.
Bicycle Line Super Socks - HOT . A new prdt - I really like the cush, warmth and breathable fabric.
Neoprene Booties - HOT. Less than 1000yen at any WORKMAN store - farmers use them as inners for rubber boots. I cut the tops and use them as outers for cycling.
Betones - MIXED. Concept is great, But I feel like they are a bit rough. Still looking for the ultimate "1st layer" so I can get 3 up on my lower section.
Pantagonia base - HOT. Aside from the fact it STINKS SO BAD after a ride, the fabric is still one of my favs for cold weather.

Embrocation - HOT. My pre-ride ritual. Besides the effect of the capsicum oleoresin, the sealing nature of beeswax and oil keeps the chill somehow a little more at bay. And definitely when things get wet - you want this stuff ON.

Comments for now:

Betones: I checked them out after you mentioned them, have now a few pairs. I've discovered they are not all the same, they have different materials across the range for whatever reason. I'll have to check which ones I think are 'rough', but for the most part they are great. One line has a cotton blend.

Patagonia: Maybe look for some of the brands that either use materials with silver in them for odor (arc teryx phasic) or straight merino wool instead? I have some capilene patagonia which does tend to stink a bit. I've picked up some baselayers of both merino wool and the phasic stuff to try out. Haven't done it yet as it was purchased with snowboarding in mind, will give it a go soon.

Great feedback!

1) All my Betones are a year or more old. I'll check up on the new ones. That could be the ticket. Other than the slight roughness - I really like them.

2) Aha - yeah, my Pantagonia base is capilene. Works great - just don't like the stink.

Great feedback!

1) All my Betones are a year or more old. I'll check up on the new ones. That could be the ticket. Other than the slight roughness - I really like them.

2) Aha - yeah, my Pantagonia base is capilene. Works great - just don't like the stink.

betones examples:
'Bubbles' I think are a bit rough: 素材/ナイロン70% ポリエステル20% ポリウレタン10%
'Tricot' are nice: 素材/ポリエステル50% ナイロン40% ポリウレタン10%
'Neon' are nice: 素材/ナイロン92% ポリエステル8%

that's what i know...hope that helps. I can't quite figure out anything scientific about them from the above!

For bottom baselayers, have a look at Icebreakers for all-merino wool. not cheap but nice. I thought they had a bit of an odor of its own the first couple of times wearing it, but seems to have settled into being fine now.

Arc Teryx has good stuff, tough to get here, I tend to buy it when I'm overseas. Their Phasic line has silver ions in the fabric which is odor resistant. However, I have read that over time this can wash out which leaves it, well, stinkier. Merino of course doesn't have that prob. They have an EON line which is merino-based. No experience with them. I saw them, if i remember the price tag scared me off....

HOT

Castelli 3-2-1 Radiation Winter Jacket.

Probably on of the lighest yet warmest 3rd layer jacket I have owned. Not only that but you can break it down so it can be worn in the spring and autumn and possibly high altitude passes in the summer.

A little pricy but thats one of my biggest complaints about winter kit.... you only get to wear it for 1 season so bang for bucks most 3rd / outer jayer jackets are steep the Castelli 3-2-1 jacket solves this issue for me - HIGHLY recomended.

Castelli Long sleeve base layer.

LOVE IT! In my opinion better than many of the other brands out there. The reason for this is that the wicking layers are exactly where they need to be while the other areas are the latest generation of heat tech fabrics (titanium weave in to the fabric found on high end wetsuits) yet slightly cheaper than than other high brands.

UniQlo Sports fast wicking base layer (the ones with the spots on)- not an insulator but an excellent 1st layer directly on the skin to wick the seat away and thus helping to keep you warm.

ASSOS Rob Cap - still doing its job 3 seasons later although obsulete now due to the Castelli jacket as it has a detachable hood/skull cap

Shimano Goretex Winter training shoe (MTB and Road)

Best 15,000 JPY I ever spent. No need for shoe covers or other faffing layers - work even better with Merino wool socks.

Merino Wool Cycling Socks - need I say more?

Castelli Gloves Really good and I have worn them in some pretty baltic weather, and my hands have never been cold. Nice kind of loose fit on the fingers.

The Castelli radiation looks awesome - how about durabilty? At 27,000 yen, it's not cheap! @Owen - which gloves do you have? The loose around the fingers fit is what I'm looking for.

HOT

View attachment 1015

Perl Izumi Windbreak Winter Gloves

They are great, warm enough but my hands don't over heat and sweat, they also have a nice soft area on each thumb to wipe my nose :rolleyes:

View attachment 1014
Shimano MT-71 Winter Touring Shoes

My feet have been toasty warm and dry in any weather we have had this year, I even road about 70 minutes in the rain (my rain pants covered the tops of the shoes) and my feet were warm and dry. I wear them as my regular shoes most of the day and they are great, good to walk in too.

For a base layer I wear a long sleeved drytech like shirt that I buy at the DIY shops, a workman kind of clothing, they are great, only 980 yen too.

On the gloves, I had some Mavic Altium Eclipse maybe? Cold weather gloves, but not good enough, fingers froze on the LSD ride with Machin and others.

Locally I ran out to get something else, Mavic Club Gloves. More 'padding', read: insulation. On the same day as you out by arakawa, i didn't have quite the wind issue, but temp wise my hands were fine, if anything a bit warm! Will be sporting these tomorrow.... looks damn cold in the a.m.

Take along some surgical gloves, if you hands are really freezing, put them on under your regular gloves, they will make a big difference. I keep a pair in my tool bag on each bike, that way if I need to work on a bike I don't get my hands all greasy or I can use them to keep my hands warm if thing turn cold, or wet or both :D

Speaking of gloves, I really do like the Pearl Izumi gloves I got, but they lack in one area, that is reflectiveness. I often do deliveries in the winter after dark and I use hand signals on the trailer a lot to let the cars know where I'm going, this seems to work well in the daytime, much less so at night. I think that if the gloves had much more reflective tape on them, drivers would be able to see my hand signals more clearly. Last night I set about fixing this problem.

I turned the flash on my iPhone so you can see the reflective material

glove_before.jpg

Before, not very much reflective material, just near the cuff, this is sometimes covered by my jacket sleeve.

glove_after.jpg

After, much more reflective material. I had an old rain jacket that I was throwing out, as the rubberized layer on the inside was flaking off, not very rain proof, I took the reflective material off that jacket.

I know, pretty mundane, but if it stops some car driver from running me over while I'm working, worth the effort I think.

Cheers!

Got those same gloves from 3 seasons back - very good especailly the SAP pannel on the side (Snot attachment Pannel)

However I feel they are a little too bulky for riding and resemble more of a light ski glove.

Tim,

In regards to the Castelli Radiation jacket ...... it's Castelli and Corsa Strada so actually made in Italy rather than the standard range which is more of a potluck party in regards to manufacturing location. Although it looks like they are pulling out of China and moving manufacturing to Hungry.

HOT. Anything made from Gore Windstopper....wonderful stuff.
Hot Gloves..... Still looking / testing combinations. 100 yen shop fleece gloves inside my snowboard gloves are great on flat bars but too bulky on drops.
Super Hot. Subaru Forester with heater on Full!:D

Gloves are my current weak point. The PI's are junk, IMO. They might be fine for short hops - but have nearly zero windstopping and are too tight around the fingers. Even I get a larger size - then it's baggy around the palm. The problem is that the hands will sweat a bit, then, when the wind hits - it's like a liquid nitrogen cutting fluid hitting your skin. I want a multi layer glove that has decent wicking and windstopping on the front side. And, oh, yeah , decent palm friction would be nice. Another fail for the PI's, they are not very grippy.

@FE - I'll check into the Castelli - I love the 3:1 concept. Crappendale had something similar awhile back - magnetic atachment for the sleeves - you could rip them off in a heartbeat. But - the removable 'radiation' panels is good idea. I do that already - it's called 'tinfoil and velcro'. Or , the real way which is called 'La Gazetta della Sport' Cycling section goes in your pocket for reading and the football section goes on your chest to toss away after it's been sweated through.

Tim, have you tried the Assos Early Autumn (6-12 degrees) gloves? IMO they do really well what you are looking for: block the wind, yet breath out the sweat. The only problem is that there is no real winter version. I found them fine for down to zero degrees, but going down the Tamagawa in the early morning at -5 degrees is not great. One solution is of course to take the PIs just for the early morning temperatures, and then swap to the Assos.

Ludwig thats because they are part of a 3 layer system.

Assos insulator Gloves
Assos Early Winter
Assos Lobster Glove

assos2.jpg

LUST!

Ludwig thats because they are part of a 3 layer system.

Assos insulator Gloves
Assos Early Winter
Assos Lobster Glove

assos2.jpg

glove_after.jpg

I know, pretty mundane, but if it stops some car driver from running me over while I'm working, worth the effort I think.

Cheers!

Completely irrelevant, but I'd really like to see you "flip the finger" to somebody while wearing these gloves.. :D

I'd KILL for one of these! Any pointers to find something similar? Searched amazon for a bit and couldn't find anything that I'd be able to wear under my helmet..

Back
Top Bottom