What's new

Winter Training Time

GSAstuto

Maximum Pace
Oct 11, 2009
My last event is finished and now I'm looking forward to a couple months of winter training - this will be my second year (since rebooting) so I have some specific (different) goals than last year:

1) More gym
2) More LSD
3) More beer
4) More fun

I'll be following my old school Italian Cycling Federation Manual, btw - as 'it works' (Agnostic Cycling). How about you?

It's pouring rain outside right now, and soon it will be that mixed with snow/sleet (winter here is actually wetter than the summer rainy season). More of the frozen wet stuff as we approach January. Total bummer. :(

So I'll match you with more gym (stationary bike, even tho the ones I use seem to have a meter-long top tubes), I'll fold on LSD (unfortunately, due to wx), raise you on less beer, see you on more fun, and double down on many+ good laps in the pool.

And no idea what the ICFM says...

(also, I've been prepping an email for you, look for it maybe tomorrow...?)

And the other downer is that the reduced number of daylight hours is compounded by the skies typically being overcast & gray.

After the last race in December I will be doing the most important off season training.... walking away from the bike completely for 6-8 weeks.

If you ride all year you burn out and leave no time for your bodies to recover. Take some time off, then go back to it.

Will get some cross training in and some Skiing/boarding and plenty of gym work..... oh and get flexible.

Totally agreed! Especially the skiing / boarding part - excepting I can't board due my knee instability - but ski is fine! How about a 'hot yoga' class or 2 ??? (If the SA's will allow)

After the last race in December I will be doing the most important off season training.... walking away from the bike completely for 6-8 weeks.

If you ride all year you burn out and leave no time for your bodies to recover. Take some time off, then go back to it.

Will get some cross training in and some Skiing/boarding and plenty of gym work..... oh and get flexible.

I'm just out of my back operation. For me it will be as of today:

- One week of lying down as much as possible

- Then five weeks of zero sports activity, not even hiking

- Then some light activity, like short gym visits, short hikes

- In about six months from now, get back onto the bike and train up!

All of this assuming that today's intervention will actually result in a pain free back eventually, which is not guaranteed. The first two weeks are likely to be even worse than before...

I'll try to write up what has happened to me on another thread.

Ludwig - hope the operation was successful. Best wishes on speedy and complete recovery.

I'm just out of my back operation. For me it will be as of today:

- One week of lying down as much as possible

- Then five weeks of zero sports activity, not even hiking

- Then some light activity, like short gym visits, short hikes

- In about six months from now, get back onto the bike and train up!

All of this assuming that today's intervention will actually result in a pain free back eventually, which is not guaranteed. The first two weeks are likely to be even worse than before...

I'll try to write up what has happened to me on another thread.

Ludwig, I know the feeling so can totally sympathize with you. There are absolutely no short cuts to recovery and it going to be tough not to want to jump on the bike even when you are feeling great. Listen to the doctors and those on monitoring your rehab and follow it to the book.

Ludwig, I hope you are well soon! Several of us have been through excruciating painful injuries and lengthy recoveries - all I can say is the human body DOES have an amazing ability to HEAL! Trust it and never give up! Like FE says - there are no short cuts, but then, if there were, you'd miss all the fun and views of the long road!

Ludwig,
All that time off will be tough, but hang in there. Good luck.
Alan.

Ludwig...I hope the surgery went well and that you will completely recover before long. That would surely make myself feel less guilty about the damage caused by our endurance, or - to borrow one of James M's favorite expressions - our "brutal sufferfest" rides in the heat of last summer...:angel:

Get well soon, I mean it man!

Ludwig

Ludwig: All the best for a speedy and full recovery. I can only echo every ones words to take it easy!

And it was good to run into a couple of times over the past few weeks.

Take care.

Keren

Ludwig, I hope you'll fully recover. Take care!

I'm finishing off this seasons with a few cyclocross races and some running and light weightlifting to burn some fat. Then its off to Minnesota in January for a 3 week visit. I am bringing my Rollers back and my Park prs-20 bike repair stand, two things I have missed so much. I will do allot of snow hiking/running on my parents land in Cannon Falls and core workouts and REST!
Upon arrival back in Japan I will start LSD depending on weather and lots of rollers and weights and 5 weeks later integrate plyometrics and intervals into training and instead of only focusing on long distances I will start training for my goal, flat land and slight incline DOMINATION! I will hone my skills in this and only this. I will do Yatsugatake,and Shirabiso hill climb (early season) just to get some fitness and may do Fuji, but I wont focus on results as much. I think the 4 bigest mistakes I made this year were.

Not resting

Not eating properly

Not Hydrating properly

Not sticking to my annual training plan

If I can fix those and lose some kilos, there will be a dramatic improvement.

I also have the perfect bike for what I want to race, so now all thats left is training.

Ludwig I hope you recover well!

And of coarse this is all up for further discussion with my 3 coaches James, Tim and Patrick!

Ludwig, I wish you a speedy and successful recovery! :D

My winter training will be to try to eat less and move more, I would really like to get out of the triple digits in weight (that's in kilograms!) by spring, I can do it, I just have to get back on a much stricter diet. For riding I'm just going to try to put in more miles, my goal of 3000 Km for this year has been surpassed, I'm going to up the ante for next year to 4000 Km. If I can get my weight down I'll also start running again and maybe even mix in some Aikido, but my biggest challenge is to eat less.

Cheers!

Thank you all for your best wishes!

That would surely make myself feel less guilty about the damage caused by our endurance, or - to borrow one of James M's favorite expressions - our "brutal sufferfest" rides in the heat of last summer...:angel:

I take full responsibility. After all, it was me who had planned the rides and me who pushed us on all the hard climbs in gruelling heat, over incredible distances... :) I can't say I have regrets - I couldn't know what the risks were.

I take full responsibility. After all, it was me who had planned the rides and me who pushed us on all the hard climbs in gruelling heat, over incredible distances... :) I can't say I have regrets - I couldn't know what the risks were.

Conscience cleared :warau: and no regrets on my side either. The rides Ludwig planned were just incredibly fantastic. I would have never been able to do such memorable rides without Ludwig's superb planning/navigating skills (and of course his pushing too, although I did my bit of pulling :D)

On the topic as to my own winter training, I will focus on LSD rides to build up stamina staying on flatter grounds and avoid the mountains/injuries.

Kicked off my WTP (Winter training Plan) with a couple hours at the Pool. Actually it was more 'dad and daughter' swimming time - but the change of venue was really nice and I got a few laps in myself.

Yes, Ludwig....get well, get rested, get strong!

I'm hoping to kick start my winter riding tomorrow with some commuting.... Think I need some new winter gloves though!

Good luck, Ludwig. I''m confident you'll be back sooner than later!

Back
Top Bottom