What's new

Winter SPD-SL Shoe?

Yamabushi

Maximum Pace
Jun 1, 2010
So I've got several pairs of booties to use with my normal shoes, but quite honestly, they are a pain in the ass and look like they will wear out sooner rather than later. Are there any quality SPD-SL winter cycling shoes out there that anyone could recommend and are available in Tokyo?

Not really, Most of us wear outer socks or booties. I got a great pair of Castenili booties with kevlar bootoms ..... these things are bullet proof :D

A little pricey but will worth it!

For around 13,000 yen you can get real winter shoes - Shimano, Northwave and such. This equals 2 sets of booties... Personally I just go the 'Belgian' method. "Grease the Feet and Sock the Shoe". I'm saving up for the Shimano's myself.

Shimano makes such a shoe, the MW80

>> Review 1 <<
>> Review 2 <<

I don't own them nor have I ever seen them in person, but they seem to get decent reviews :)

I use Shimano winter shoes; I have one pair of MW80 and one pair of the previous model which didn't have the Velcro™ cuff. I preferred them without that cuff because it inevitably attaches itself to the material of my sock.

Otherwise I'm very pleased with them.

Edit: I use them with SPD cleats. Not sure about compatibility with SPD-SL.

Well for ¥13,786 my wife was pleased to indulge my habit, I know have a pair of winter road shoes! :D

I accidentally order a pair of dhb Pace SuperRoubaix Windproof Padded Bib Tights......opps:eek:

Sweet! I'm waiting for a pair of these for my christmas stocking. BTW -if anyone (on the large side) wants a set of winter warmies let me know. I listed them in the classified here. Winter tights (non bib) and Jacket. I'm wearing the Jacket on rides now and combined with my Descent LS Jersey its very toasty.

Congrats on the new shoes!

I found my feet cold at the end of my day's ride today, almost 40Km out and about in Tokyo. I looked at booties to go over my shoes that I have now, but holy cow, they are almost as expensive as a pair of shoes :eek:

Any suggestions for booties to go over some MTB shoes?

I just tried on some Lake CX140's in Ueno, but the fit wasn't for me. The heel cup was too ambiguous. That being said, I am determined to get some winter cycling shoes and am planning to try on the Shimano's as soon as I can.

I just tried on some Lake CX140's in Ueno, but the fit wasn't for me. The heel cup was too ambiguous. That being said, I am determined to get some winter cycling shoes and am planning to try on the Shimano's as soon as I can.

Pete, I went with the Shimano in the end as to be honest they are only used for 2 or 3 months of the year. I've always been happy with Shimano shoes (SPD and SPD-SL) and I couldn't justify x3 the price for the SIDI's, would rather get a spanky new pair of racing shoes for the new season.

Yeah, I've been very happy with my 3 pairs of Shimano cycling shoes as well. I was just in a store that had the Lakes sitting there, so I had to try them.

I'm looking forward to the Shimano's!

So my new Shimano RW80's arrived this afternoon. I cleated them up and took them out for a short spin this evening. I reserve the right to refine my opinion, but based on the brief outing, I think I'm going to be very happy with these. They were comfortable, warm and sufficiently stiff. I can't wait to get out and put them to a more serious test.

Im concerned that you ordered yours afterme but received them before!

Yeah, I was getting concerned that your shoes hadn't shown up either because I figured mine definitely wouldn't make it here till after yours, but...

Maybe it was due to your shoe size? In any event, (and I'm sure you are way ahead of me on this) I'd definitely follow up with them.

All that being said, when you eventually do get them, I think you're going to like them!

email sent to Wiggle, same happened with my Garmin FR60, somewhere some postie has a very nice watch :( Just hope they just don't have a nice pair of winter shoes now!

Back
Top Bottom