What's new

Winter Shoes/Boots.....?

Lost solution to winter cold feet

Years ago I bought a pair of "Chiba" brand inner shoe liners made with Gore wind stopper material for winter riding, at Y's along the Tamagawa.

They have been great and on any dry winter ride get me almost all the way to warm feet. They are thin enough to fit between a wool Pearl Izumi cycling sock and my road shoes. Add a basic outer toe cover and/or one of the basic disposable "kaero" chemical inserts on the coldest days, and I had no need to mess with the full shoe covers or special winter shoes for riding in Kanto in the winter.

Unfortunately, the shoe liners are now completely worn out (worn through) on the bottom side under the balls of the feet and the heels. I have not seen them at Y's in at least 2-3 years, and never seen them sold elsewhere. ... so I will be experimenting with other solutions this year, based on the advice below.

Years ago I bought a pair of "Chiba" brand inner shoe liners made with Gore wind stopper material for winter riding, at Y's along the Tamagawa.

They have been great and on any dry winter ride get me almost all the way to warm feet. They are thin enough to fit between a wool Pearl Izumi cycling sock and my road shoes. Add a basic outer toe cover and/or one of the basic disposable "kaero" chemical inserts on the coldest days, and I had no need to mess with the full shoe covers or special winter shoes for riding in Kanto in the winter.

Unfortunately, the shoe liners are now completely worn out (worn through) on the bottom side under the balls of the feet and the heels. I have not seen them at Y's in at least 2-3 years, and never seen them sold elsewhere. ... so I will be experimenting with other solutions this year, based on the advice below.

That is a good point about another special layer, I wonder if other sports make such things?

A quick google.....

http://www.drymaxsocks.com/cycling.php
http://www.smartwool.com/mens/phd-cycling-ultra-light-34-crew.html

or like this?
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/klim-covert-gtx-waterproof-boot-liner

Might want to check a hiking or outdoor shop?

BTW lots of good info >> HERE << and one that I'm going to take up is to cut an extra foam insole to insulate my foot from the steel cleat on the bottom of my shoe, when you think about it the SPD pedal and clean in the winter is a big heat sink, I put the seal in to stop the water from getting in, but the heat transfer might be fairly big, I'll report back :D

That is a good point about another special layer, I wonder if other sports make such things?

Might want to check a hiking or outdoor shop?

I've looked for something comparable, and will continue to do so. They must not have sold well, since Y's had a diminishing supply of them for several years after I bought mine.

The motorcycling boot liner is not too far off ... if you were to cut off the top 3/4 so it just goes inside the cuff of your winter long cycling tights, and replace the goretex with thinner "wind stopper".

< and one that I'm going to take up is to cut an extra foam insole to insulate my foot from the steel cleat on the bottom of my shoe, when you think about it the SPD pedal and cleat in the winter is a big heat sink, I put the seal in to stop the water from getting in, but the heat transfer might be fairly big, I'll report back :D
Four words for a Canadian worrying about cold in Tokyo, HTFU. LOL

Just using toe covers makes a huge difference.

My first winter cycling here I cut up old snowboarding socks and put the toe over the ends of my shoes. Worked a treat, but admittedly looked fairly daft...

Four words for a Canadian worrying about cold in Tokyo, HTFU. LOL

It's just my feet otherwise I do fine, and I'm the first guy to say to the people around here +10C is NOT cold!

OK a little DIY experimentation :D

I took the insoles out of my Shimano MT42 MTB shoes, and I got some 2mm thick white foam stuff we sometimes wrap around bottles so they don't clank together.

I first traced out the insole....
hot_feet_1.jpg

hot_feet_2.jpg

Then I stuck on some of that thick aluminum tape

hot_feet_3.jpg

I cut out the new hot feet insoles

hot_feet_4.jpg

I put the aluminum tape sides towards my feet and the white foam side down.

hot_feet_5.jpg

While I was at it, I used some duct tape to tape up the holes in the regular insole.

I tried them out and of course the two insoles now slipped around on eachother :eek:uch:

Well I can fix that.....
hot_feet_6.jpg

Some spray on glue and I was good to go.

How did they work?

Not bad, my feet were certainly warmer today than yesterday, but not toasty warm, certainly an improvement, with the Hokkario hot pad things added to the equation I'm sure my feet will be toasty warm!

Cheers!

I just use thick wool socks (true wool, not the wool-like imitators).

And in a real pinch, I'll add a silk liner, maybe with a kairo thingie in between.

I still have several unused pairs of great woolies that I picked up in NZ years ago. Talk about truly plush luxury!

What is the Aluminium foil for?

What is the Aluminium foil for?

In theory, to reflect heat back to the foot. I imagine, that idea was inspired by the ultra lightweight mylar survival blankets. http://adventure.howstuffworks.com/survival/gear/space-blanket.htm

They seem to work, but who knows :confused: The plan was to reflect back some heat, no hard science on how well it works :eek:

Today I had warm feet to start, I then put on my pressure stockings, and some of the under the toe area Hokairo into my summer shoes, MT42s, with my DIY Hot Feet insoles, added my PITA rain booties and my feet were fine today, but then again it was not exactly COLD today was it :D

Cheers!

Sounds like a lot of hassle, but each to their own. :D

In regards to the aluminum, I would guess it acts as a heat sink again drawing heat off and away from the shoe rather than reflect it back. The reason for this is the way the body works in regards to thermoregulation.

I would suggest bubble wrap if you want to trap and maintain heat or other materials with pockets that "trap" air and warm.... one of the reasons why neoprene works so well.

Someone here recommended to put the hotkaido pads ON TOP your feet -- last year I read it and started doing it that way. It's been THE KEY to keeping my feet warm ever since. The pads will last about 6hr. My winter 'cold feet' regime:

1) Embrocate the feet. Besides just the added 'heat', it keeps my feet from absorbing water. Somehow, I don't have any issues with sweating - so , I'll leave it at that,

2) Wool cycling socks. I have the Surley ones and love them. Also Bicycle Line makes a great cycling sock. Gotta have merino wool. Even when damp or wet, they still insulate.

3) Hot Kaido on top - about 40degree angle across the toes. Besides generating heat - they also act as a windstopper right where the wind is hitting. Or , so it seems. Anyway - these bad boys really heat up my feet.

4) No rain: Belgian Shoe Covers. Which means - just an old pair of socks. Works surprisingly well. I have no clue about the physics of this - but that single added layer of cloth really cuts the final edge of cold. As good as any thermal 5000y+ shoe covers I've destroyed over the years. And, after they've been trashed from riding, you can use them as shop rags. Rain: Plastic bag over the sock. BTW - I have extra holes drilled in my shoe to allow water to drain. Race in the rain mod: Lots of embro, thin poly socks, no liners, no nothing in the shoe to absorb water, shoe covers (thin neoprene is best).

Shoes: I stick them by the gas heater in the morning so they are well heated by the time I hit the road. This seems to 'jumpstart' the heating process when I need it most (just getting out the door). Also After riding, shoes get stuffed with newspaper. Having a few sets of shoes really helps when you're riding in rain regularly. Cause nothing is worse than putting on wet or dampened shoes.

Hint hint - have decent, cheap, Diadoras AT COST for any TCC'ers. The 'relaxed toe' area gives a little extra room for the 'kaidos and heavier socks - without sacrifice in the heel cup. Love them! (So does Cadel, by the way)

I got my Shimano MT71s today....

View attachment 955

I was out early doing deliveries, just missed the rain, my iPhone weather app said it was 5C out there, my feet are toasty warm and comfortable, not sweaty either. The last ride I used the Hokairo, my DIY hot foot insoles in my summer MT42 shoes and my rain booties, my feet were warm, but they were also sweaty at the end of the day. I've been wearing these new shoes all day and my feet are super comfy. I usually wear a 43.5-44 shoe, but with the MT42 shoes I found the 45 fits nicely, so I bought the 45 for the new MT71s. The feel like they have a bit more room in them, but that is good for a winter shoes, as you have room for a second set of socks if you like.

Very impressed so far :D

The Gore-Bike overshoes look fantastic as well, I think in the rain my feet will be just fine!

cheers!

I`ve just picked up a pair of these which I`m trying out. Much easier than whole overshoes, and no annoying zip on the back of the heel (velcro strap), and also, with them not being full covers, they don`t get in the way of the buckle on the Specialized shoes, so can adjust shoes whilst riding with no probs. There is a pad under the toe box to protect the material whilst walking. Working fine so far, but highest point today was only 350m and lowest temp I faced was 6C.

09_plizm_017417.jpg

Also another tip about winter riding is this:

Don't fasten your shoes up too tight, as this restricts blood flow. Not a problem in 40c heat but come winter your toes can take a real beating if you are even slightly reducing blow getting to the extremities.

Back
Top Bottom