What's new

Winter mask and glasses

Bruno BQ

Maximum Pace
Mar 9, 2015
Last year I tried, unsuccessfully, mask and neck warmer. They would make me avoid the winter cold air, but it would constantly fog my glasses.

Does any of you have suggestions how to deal with this?

I use a scarf.
Just lower it from your mouth whenever you stop.
It covers both your neck and mouth.
I know what you mean about the cold dry air.....it sucks.
Other than that if you are going fast enough...........and I am a Clyde your glasses won't steam up.

I have one of those sewn together neck warmers that goes under my helmet strap and covers my nose when need be and I fold it down as things warm up.
But it's rare for me to need it before the new year.

Last edited:
I use one of these, it's nice and warm and covers your mouth and ears. The main downside is that it's not very good at covering your nose, but that might just be my weird shaped face. You can buy it from Workman there are branches all over Japan. They have some pretty good base layers too.

I use one of these, it's nice and warm and covers your mouth and ears. The main downside is that it's not very good at covering your nose, but that might just be my weird shaped face. You can buy it from Workman there are branches all over Japan. They have some pretty good base layers too.

@Conrad I am curious but that 'one of these' link leads me nowhere.

I am also curious about that link! and @theBlob witch one is one of those?
I am asking t.o be able to search and get it before the surprises cold air. Also I bike at night a lot, what is significant colder.

I use a Buff™. Actually I have several, in different colours to match my mood. There are lots of different ways to put them on, depending on how much coverage and ventilation you want at the time.

https://www.buffwear.com/buff-adult-headwear

Available from Amazon, Rakuten, L-Breath, etc. etc.

As for steaming up...
  1. Use anti-fog wipes
  2. Clean your glasses with a small dab of shaving foam
  3. Rub a small amount of pure white bar soap on your lenses, then buff off
  4. Apply anti-fog paste or spray
  5. Use rain repellent on glasses
  6. Clean them with your saliva
  7. Choose glasses that sit away from your face to circulate air

15095114_10154867231947223_7044582389588284936_n.jpg

I have a couple of balaclavas like the one @Conrad recommends. I think they were from Komeri and perhaps even cheaper than that.

I also won two Buff ones at Motegi last week, but the boys have laid claim to those.

14925713_10154835649192223_3238166373493023909_n.jpg

A point worth making is that it helps to carry a few different things with you.

For example, yesterday I did a 5 hour ride.

Through the town it was 7 degrees, up the coast with the sea benefit, 10 or 11 degrees, then I turned in land and it dropped to 4 degrees, it gradually rose as the sun came up, finally back on the coast and half an hour from home it was 22 degrees.

I started with (max 7, minimum 4 degrees): Lightweight shoe covers, wool socks, bib tights, 2 base layers, autumn jacket, windbreaker, thin balaclava (above). (when I turned inland I would have liked the neoprene over shoes but the sun was coming up at least)

I stopped once, when I felt sweat starting (11, 12 degrees) : took off the windbreaker, and replaced the balaclava with a cap

I then stopped a second time (19 degrees) as I was sweating again: took off the cap, shoe covers and gloves

Got home nice and toasty with 150 base kilometres in the bag....

Andy

www.jyonnobitime.com/time

Back
Top Bottom