What's new

Winter is coming - TR?

wexford

Maximum Pace
Jul 3, 2012
Got an email from TrainerRoad the other day saying that I now had referrals to give away. So here goes.

I have 3 months free to give away. Personally, I love it and will be using it again this winter.
[[Edit: to be clear, it's 1 month to 3 different people so not quite as good as I first thought]]

In order for this to be useful to you though you do need a few things. Best to see their getting started page for how all that works and decide if you can actually make use of this subscription or not.

If you are interested in using TrainerRoad let me know (via PM).

Last edited:
I got that too but was pretty sure anyone can sign up for a month free anyhow. Do you get something for referring someone? I didn't read that.

Started on my trainer this week and having a blast:D

Don't think you get anything yourself if you refer anyone. 3 months free would get you most of the way through the winter (when it does come) though so pretty good I think. I'm looking forward to (in a very non-@leicaman way) a few good hard indoor sessions this winter.

I got that too but was pretty sure anyone can sign up for a month free anyhow. Do you get something for referring someone? I didn't read that.

Started on my trainer this week and having a blast:D

Oh I see. When I read their email, I read "3 Free Months to give to your friends and fellow cyclists". It sounded to me like I could give 3 months to others. But, on a more careful read I see now that they mean I can refer a friend and give them a free month. However as you point out, there is a money back guarantee on the site if you are not satisfied within 30 days so it is rather lame... Maybe I am going to hell.:devil:

30 days in purgatory for you.... Behave and we'll have you back. Minus the Jesus beard, That is clearly blasphemy without sleeve tattoos.

I understand that The Telegraph cycling podcast also has a free month offer on now.

3 months would've been ace.

30 days in purgatory for you.... Behave and we'll have you back. Minus the Jesus beard, That is clearly blasphemy without sleeve tattoos.

The beard was shaved last night. As fantastic as I looked, it just wasn't aero, so it had to go.

I understand that The Telegraph cycling podcast also has a free month offer on now.

3 months would've been ace.

They are now sponsored by TrainerRoad and are advertising the fact that there is a free month trail available to anyone. The month is not connected to the podcast (which is pretty good, btw) in any way.

Yes, @wexford I think I originally read it that way and then worked it out and then remembered I had heard it on the podcast and then realised that a month free trial is how I had begun all those moons ago.

@xDOMx I did a Zwift/Stages PM comparison the other day. Take a look on my Sravr. If you go all out for sprints and high power work it wont do you much good but otherwise it works pretty well.

They are now sponsored by TrainerRoad and are advertising the fact that there is a free month trail available to anyone. The month is not connected to the podcast (which is pretty good, btw) in any way.

Yes, @wexford I think I originally read it that way and then worked it out and then remembered I had heard it on the podcast and then realised that a month free trial is how I had begun all those moons ago.

@xDOMx I did a Zwift/Stages PM comparison the other day. Take a look on my Sravr. If you go all out for sprints and high power work it wont do you much good but otherwise it works pretty well.

I am a subscriber so you are preaching to the converted haha.

That's interesting actually as to Zwift etc so I will give it a try more (albeit Zwift will become non-free from the end of this month...).

But it will be without a contract, as far as I am aware, so you can just pay for a month at a time. Drop it whenever you want. TR works that way now, too.

Still using both TR and Zwift.
Two things bug me on Zwift that they have failed to correct before charging and as a result I suspect I won't continue with it after ME.
  • If you have a PT they don't let you adjust the overall resistance. They let you adjust the compensation between hills and flats (ie make the hills easier and the flats then become relatively harder Or vice versa), but not the overall resistance. I want to increase the general resistance at all given cadences, primarily so I can reduce the noise of trainer and also to stop me spinning out on the gentle downhills. At the moment the overall resistance isn't right. Even on the "hilly-est" compensation setting I never need to shift more than 5 or 6 gears on the back (mainly between 50x11 and 50x16) from downhill to steep uphill.
  • They haven't split the leaderboard between people using their power equation and people using a real power meter/powered trainer (eg Wahoo Kickr). As a result there are still too many people on there juicing up the equation in their favour. The top of the leaderboards are dominated by people using the equation rather than a PM/PT, despite there being fairly high numbers of power users

Have you or others suggested these things?
They were in the past (haven't used it for a while) quite active on the forum about bugs and additions people wanted and the like.
The leaderboards now hold your records and in the end those are the ones that matter to me. Am I improving against myself? Stevononutz1979 can eat a bag of dicks with his 2000watt sprint up the hill, I couldn't care less what lies he tells his fat Twinkie eating family to help him sleep at night and convince himself he is really exercising.

It's an imperfect world find your centre.
The power thing is a bugger

Yes I have them up on the forum and have some support for them. I might raise as new ones though - they are now a few months old

Can your personal leaderboards show more than 30 days history? When I was on it last week I couldn't figure out how to see anything further back than a month.

From what I gather that's it, 30 days. Whether or not it'll stay that way I don't know. It would be nice if you could have some control over it.

I'm considering paying for a month after it goes pay to play just to see what gets implemented. Not right away but maybe December or later.

Just got a mail from Zwift. The beta was meant to end yesterday but isn't ending. They have a new workout bit which I didn't try the other day but because of the extended beta I might give it a go. I was thinking of doing another Sufferfest video now but I think I'll do this instead and let you know how I find it.

Zwift said:
Hey Zwifters!

We know how much you like beta. So as our Halloween treat to you, we thought we'd extend it another week. Yep - one more week of beta.

The response to workout mode has been incredible. We've completed over 1,500 FTP tests in the first 72 hours alone!

Just got a mail from Zwift. The beta was meant to end yesterday but isn't ending. They have a new workout bit which I didn't try the other day but because of the extended beta I might give it a go. I was thinking of doing another Sufferfest video now but I think I'll do this instead and let you know how I find it.

Cool. DC Rainmaker also has a review of the workout mode. I like the look of those halo style banners to bring an end to the pain.

So, you're on the regular Watopia course but the segments are disabled and you have the "halo style banners" that indicate your interval changes. Right now, there are only a limited number of workouts available which is quite lame as they have had this idea for quite a while and it is a well established area of turbo trainer culture (yes, I just typed that) now. TR has hundreds, literally hundreds of workouts to choose from. Zwift could never really compete but they need to do better than what they have. They do have FTP tests and if you don't know yours and don't have a PM it is best to do one as all the workouts are based on this metric.
I picked a workout that was 1hr26m, a bit longer than I wanted but the alternatives weren't really there for me. They have 6 week and 12 week courses which I have't looked at yet. Today was just a taster.
The warm up was 10 minutes and had 2 power target changes which weren't cued visually. There is some lame muzak on Zwift and some environmental sounds (you are "outside" after all) but I tend to go dark and heavy with some drum&bass or industrial techno so if there were audio cues I missed them. The intervals were good but, again, they could do with some motivational text to take your mind off things like TR and Sufferfest do. I am ready to admit that indoor trainer riding has a fairly low boredom threshold and these messages do aid the passing of time.

Zwift needed this and I passed quite a lot of folk using it. Plodding around the course thinking of reasons for being there as you go is only good for a short while. I did 45 minutes as that was all I had time for today and it was a good way to work out. There was no summary at the end, which they need, and I didn't really feel any sense of accomplishment. Though that is maybe because I accomplished nothing apart from sweating on my floor and producing more washing whcih has to stay inside tonight as the rains are coming again.

Photo Oct 28, 8 47 11 PM.jpg Photo Oct 28, 8 46 53 PM.jpg Photo Oct 28, 8 46 37 PM.jpg Photo Oct 28, 8 46 22 PM.jpg

Back
Top Bottom