What's new

Winter gloves

FWIW I got some Danish Endurance merino socks off Amazon the other week. I take size 47 in Shimamo shoes / 31 Adidas and the 28.5 - 30.5 cm socks fit me fine. Obviously I've only worn them a few times but they kept my feet warm enough in the snow last weekend (the shorter ones are good, too).
These shimano shoe covers will just about go over my size 47 Shimano shoes and seem to do a good job of keeping the wind and rain out. Altrura Thermostretch in XL are a bit roomier if you can find them in stock anywhere.
When I saw your recommendation, I checked them out and ordered two pairs — one for yours, truly, and one for my wife. Funnily enough, I ordered both in the same size. Plus, I also got some plain merino socks from them. I can't wait to try them tomorrow, my feet are freezing! 👍

When I saw your recommendation, I checked them out and ordered two pairs — one for yours, truly, and one for my wife. Funnily enough, I ordered both in the same size. Plus, I also got some plain merino socks from them. I can't wait to try them tomorrow, my feet are freezing! 👍
Mine came today. If you don't want to see, look away now!

20210114_172722.jpg

Proper sexy!

I have a little pain in the calves from snow shoes, so these may be good compression socks too.

Sunshine tomorrow so will test them on Mt. Yoneyama.

Cheers, Andy

I believe the colour is "celeste" made famous by Bianchi and also the custom colour choice of my Trek Speed Concept TT bike. Though I doubt I'd get through the sock measuring brigade and onto the TT ramp with these bad boys!

If you check their site shop on Amazon, they have lots of different products, so if these turn out to be good, I'll try some other stuff too.

For late autumn, early spring I really like these Pearl Izumi that I bought in camouflage red and green.

Right now they are warm enough in hiking boots and in cycling shoes in the garage or on the trail, but maybe not warm enough for Tokyo river bank sub zero weather...

Andy

@OreoCookie - hope you like them! I've got a few pairs of the DHB winter merino socks which I really like but I wanted something more colourful.
@andywood - I got the same colour. Wore them again this morning - foggy, 0 degrees - and no problems with cold toes or anything - only an hour, though.

PXL_20210115_002558524.jpg

The shoe covers have arrived. They were only 1345 yen with free shipping on Yahoo Auction after a 50 % discount as someone who hasn't used the service much recently. The size is adequate for my size 29 MTB shoes.

It's great to finally have something to keep my feet dry in rainy rides. There's not much joy in riding in wet socks 😅

@OreoCookie - hope you like them! I've got a few pairs of the DHB winter merino socks which I really like but I wanted something more colourful.
I'm wearing a pair of these at the moment and OMG are they amazing. In winter I was usually wearing two pairs of cheap uniqlo socks and still felt cold. Now this pair feels thinner, but my feet are warm. I just order 4 more pairs for my wife and I. Thanks! 👍

Edit: I should have added that my feet are usually constantly cold, on- and off-the-bike. They are a godsend!

Last edited:
I became a Merino socks convert a few years ago when I bought my first few pairs of Point 6 Merino socks. That's basically all I have been wearing for socks since then, summer and winter. I usually have three pairs that I cycle though.

The Point 6 brand socks are significantly more expensive (2200-3300 yen a pair) than the Danish Endurance, perhaps because of the higher Merino wool contents of the wool / synthetic blend they use, which is roughly 2/3 Merino, 1/3 synthetics vs. 40 % Merino, 60 % synthetics in the Danish Endurance products.

The lanolin oils in the Merino wool act as a natural antibacterial agent that prevents the buildup of smells so a higher Merino content may improve this aspect, on the other hand synthetic materials may have a slight edge on wear resistance. Either blend will work pretty well.

Merino is also not moth resistant ,but my 23yr old Icebreaker pullover hoodie is still going strong despite a few moth holes.

With both hands and feet an air gap is important. If the gloves are very tight fitting your hands will be cold.
About 6 years ago I bought a pair of winter specific shoes. Got them in a spring time sale..... Haven't suffered from cold feet since then!

Got my stipend from the "volunteer" fire dept the other week so splashed out on a pair of these. Arrived yesterday so tested them out today.
I should've read the info a bit more carefully given the ridiculous price, and when they arrived I was a bit surprised at how thin they were - the same thickness as some running gloves I picked up from Costco a few years ago.
Was out for about 3 hours this morning, temperature ranged from 5 (but blowing a gale) by the house to -2 at the top of the main climb. Gloves were great for the flats and the climb, didn't get clammy like a pair of regular winter gloves, and good in that there's no need to take them off for opening stuff or taking photos etc. The first 15 minutes on the way down my fingers did get pretty cold, although not really any colder than my much bulkier Shimano gloves, but 10 minutes of pedaling again and my fingers were fine.
Hopefully (?) there'll be some properly cold mornings in the next couple of weeks so I can test them out properly.

Last edited:
Tried the socks on a big sub zero snowshoe today.

No probs at all.

The 1,700 yen Workman gloves were as toasty as ever. One of the fingers is wearing a hole though. Probably from grabbing at tree branches.

Not used them for cycling yet but I'm guessing the waterproof neoprene will mean windchill on descents is no problem.

Andy

received_3957848800927066.jpeg20210117_144653.jpg

I have a pair of mavic winter gloves that have been my go to for a few years of pre dawn riverside winter riding. I other more ski glove style and they seem to work worse despite being thicker.

PXL_20210122_123554053.jpg

The three pairs of Point 6 merino socks that I had recently ordered to replenish my stock arrived today. They were 2,156 yen a pair including tax with free shipping.

Back
Top Bottom