What's new

Winter gloves

If you are using cycling shoes, I highly recommend these.

Andy

Going to give these a try.
My long-suffering wife bought me some skiing socks for Xmas that have helped. Have tried the toe covers @pesos suggested (thanks!) in the past, but they weren't great. Also tried the sock on shoe and that wasn't too bad. Other efforts have included heated socks (worked for an hour), kairo (ditto) and winter boots (pretty much ineffective and the second pair of those earned me a ban from Aliexpress because I asked my credit card company to halt a transaction as the seller had lied about deliveries).

My long-suffering wife bought me some skiing socks for Xmas that have helped. Have tried the toe covers @pesos suggested (thanks!) in the past, but they weren't great. Also tried the sock on shoe and that wasn't too bad. Other efforts have included heated socks (worked for an hour), kairo (ditto) and winter boots (pretty much ineffective and the second pair of those earned me a ban from Aliexpress because I asked my credit card company to halt a transaction as the seller had lied about deliveries).

They are very good. I too use wool hiking socks for winter riding and snowshoes. I find they make a big difference. Hopefully the overshoes will too!

Andy

Neoprene can't be beat, your feet will sweat however so make sure you air your shoes out after each ride.
And start with a bit of a lose fit as your feet should swell a touch and making adjustments on the fly is nigh impossible.

Neoprene can't be beat, your feet will sweat however so make sure you air your shoes out after each ride.
And start with a bit of a lose fit as your feet should swell a touch and making adjustments on the fly is nigh impossible.

Always starting loose is a good idea. One good thing about Sidi shoes is you can leave the dials up and tighten them on the go even through thick neoprene.

Andy

Jokes aside, this is potentially the best cycling hack I've never heard of (assuming it works, and I don't doubt that it does). I'm going to try it starting with my commutes this week. Cheers!
Also consider the disposable gloves. I always have a pair in my saddle bag plus plastic bags for my feet. Weighs nothing and is really useful.

kairo (ditto [worked for an hour])
I dunno what you're doing differently, but I use kairo daily [same ones as in @GrantT 's post above] and they last 10 hours or so for me.

If kairo are exposed to too much air they burn out quickly. Thus, if I have to remove my shoes for any reason, e.g., taking a shower after commuting, I'll roll my socks up in a tight ball and tuck that into a shoe to minimize the airflow.

Can't find the overshoes in my size! Will keep looking
Squeaking - as we were - of Workman, this guy made his own bike shoe covers from one of their products. It's a step up from Ghetto Joe level, and YMMV, but just in case useful...

I'd still recommend putting a pair of latex gloves and two plastic bags in your saddle bag, they weigh almost nothing and really add warmth. They keep the moisture in and cut the evaporation cooling to zero. Cheap and lightweight.

I dunno what you're doing differently, but I use kairo daily [same ones as in @GrantT 's post above] and they last 10 hours or so for me.

If kairo are exposed to too much air they burn out quickly. Thus, if I have to remove my shoes for any reason, e.g., taking a shower after commuting, I'll roll my socks up in a tight ball and tuck that into a shoe to minimize the airflow.

Squeaking - as we were - of Workman, this guy made his own bike shoe covers from one of their products. It's a step up from Ghetto Joe level, and YMMV, but just in case useful...

This is also a fantastic idea...except my feet are too big for Japanese sizes. I have feet like a clown.
I must be exposing the kairo to air through the holes in my soles.

My Giro Cyclinder shoes are EU 45 / US Men 11 which is 29 in Japan, that means I need size 2XL of the CXWXC overshoes.

Looks like Amazon only has them up to size XL, but I found the right size on Yahoo Auction for 3,200 yen (1,900 yen + 1,300 yen shipping). I should be able to report on them soon.

Though I was happy with my old socks as ghetto shoe covers for dry cold winter days, I also needed something for rain and these look like they may do the job! (*)

Still on my to-do list: mud flaps for my SKS mudguards, not just for the feet but also for the drive train.

(*) As long as the overshoes fit around the shoes, I can always upgrade the rain protection level with a thin layer between the shoes and the overshoe if needed.

After 5 years in Hawaii and a year in Austin I knew I would need something hardier over here, so I picked these up and have had them out at 3 degrees with no issue - in fact I have only worn them the first 15-20 or so minutes of my rides and then I've had to switch to fingerless as once it hits 6 degrees I'm getting too hot. SPETTACOLO RoS GLOVE | Castelli (castelli-cycling.com)

At 31cm I have never had luck with the full foot covers (although it's been since pre-amazon days that I searched for some so probably easier to find larger sizes now). I muddle by with the toe covers I linked earlier, but having just bought new super-breezy shoes a couple months ago I may need to get on that to get through the next 6 wks!

My Giro Cyclinder shoes are EU 45 / US Men 11 which is 29 in Japan, that means I need size 2XL of the CXWXC overshoes.

Looks like Amazon only has them up to size XL, but I found the right size on Yahoo Auction for 3,200 yen (1,900 yen + 1,300 yen shipping). I should be able to report on them soon.

Though I was happy with my old socks as ghetto shoe covers for dry cold winter days, I also needed something for rain and these look like they may do the job! (*)

Still on my to-do list: mud flaps for my SKS mudguards, not just for the feet but also for the drive train.

(*) As long as the overshoes fit around the shoes, I can always upgrade the rain protection level with a thin layer between the shoes and the overshoe if needed.
Hi Joe, sorry I didn't check earlier. I have XXL for 30cm feet so XL may have worked.

IMG_20210112_134444.jpg

I used mine mostly offroad in wet muddy conditions. The only place I think water may enter is from beneath.

IMG_20210112_134358.jpg

To keep feet warm even when wet, wool socks like these under neoprene overshoes is a good idea.

DSC_0220.JPG

By the way, after shoveling snow this morning, my neoprene Workman gloves were letting off steam!

Andy

Hi Joe, sorry I didn't check earlier. I have XXL for 30cm feet so XL may have worked.

I checked the product images on Amazon. The last one listed 27-28 as XL and 28-29 as 2XL. Mine are 29 so XL looked like it was going to be too small for me.

FWIW I got some Danish Endurance merino socks off Amazon the other week. I take size 47 in Shimamo shoes / 31 Adidas and the 28.5 - 30.5 cm socks fit me fine. Obviously I've only worn them a few times but they kept my feet warm enough in the snow last weekend (the shorter ones are good, too).
These shimano shoe covers will just about go over my size 47 Shimano shoes and seem to do a good job of keeping the wind and rain out. Altrura Thermostretch in XL are a bit roomier if you can find them in stock anywhere.

FWIW I got some Danish Endurance merino socks off Amazon the other week. I take size 47 in Shimamo shoes / 31 Adidas and the 28.5 - 30.5 cm socks fit me fine. Obviously I've only worn them a few times but they kept my feet warm enough in the snow last weekend (the shorter ones are good, too).
These shimano shoe covers will just about go over my size 47 Shimano shoes and seem to do a good job of keeping the wind and rain out. Altrura Thermostretch in XL are a bit roomier if you can find them in stock anywhere.
Cheers, I just double clicked on some of those Danish Endurance bad boys in electric blue. They look a bit tall but it will entertain the missus if nothing else!

Andy

Back
Top Bottom