What's new

Tech Winter Embrocation (2014)

JackTheCommuter

Maximum Pace
Apr 3, 2012
Is there a local source in Tokyo for winter embrocation?

I could likely pick some up from Rapha but surely a local source is available.

Any kind of menthol-infused muscle rub will probably do. Y's Road might have some proper stuff in their bigger shops (Ueno, Yurakucho etc).

Failing that, you can always try live fire ants. I think I've seen them in Family Mart.

Is there any advantage over a decent winter kit? I rode right through last winter starting before dawn and survived without and leg rubs? What is the advantage? Wear less clothes?

It makes you look as hard as nails, that's what. Unfortunately, it also makes you scream like a girl when you get into the shower to wash the stuff off.

Unless you go the TIm smith method and just tape bacon slices to your legs using gaffer tape. Could hurt as well though if you aren't a shaver.

You must mean the GS Astuto "Road Rashers". Use gammon on really cold days (pineapple ring optional).

Another good option might be high fat mince jammed down you bib like 2kg of it layered all around, works well if the pad is getting old too. Not a climbers trick but good for river runs.

Just backed up the whole Wiki, just in case.

Big up man like jdd. Go in sick mate.

Is there a local source in Tokyo for winter embrocation?

I could likely pick some up from Rapha but surely a local source is available.
Rapha seems good but I bet it'll be expensive. Haven't found Mad Alchemy and the other brands here yet (or maybe I'm not looking at the right places).

Two readily available brands Naqi (which I haven't tried) and Sportsbalm at Rakuten. Sportsbalm has 3 levels. I've used Med and Hot. They are waterproof so if it rains during a ride the embro doesn't wash off. In the dry it attracts dust and small insects! If the sun shines directly (for a long time) on the legs you'll feel it tingling. Hot showers are manageable, but your first time will be hillarious and/or down right painful. Get a new loofa (for embro use) and wipe downwards only! You don't want embro in your private parts. Some manufacturers sell "removers" for their embro (tough waterproof embro). I love the warm sensation of my legs after a hot shower. Embro and cuts (from leg shaving, or a crash) hurts at first then dies down. BUT the smell of Sportsbalm makes me a bit quessy, it will also readily stain your lightly colored jerseys!

Got a small sample of Tim's concoction before and it was good while it lasted, definitely smelled better! Feels stronger/hotter than the Hot Sportsbalm.

Massage it in the legs don't just wipe it on. Safe areas (for me) are lower back and shoulders (far from the neck). Embro can be messy and full of hassle but has its uses (outside of being a racer).

What is the advantage? Wear less clothes?
Embro doesn't really make you wear less clothes since it's mostly for the legs, so you only save wearing a knee warmer or a long pants. You still need to wrap up your core properly. For those not too cold (and/or chance of rain) situations in late autumn/early winter and early spring I just embro. In winter embro is best paired with another part of kit (knee warmers, long pants, thermals, etc).

Any kind of menthol-infused muscle rub will probably do. Y's Road might have some proper stuff in their bigger shops (Ueno, Yurakucho etc).
Make sure it has capscicum (the stuff found in chilli) as the active ingredient. Embro is a warming agent.

Back
Top Bottom