What's new

Winter cycling shoes

Now this may sound crazy but hear me out. I took the insoles out of my shoes and then cut out some aluminium foil inserts to help retain heat. Combined with some heat tech socks from Uniqlo, and also a heat pack, my feet were nice and toasty after 3 hours of cycling with winds. I'd like to try a longer ride to see how they hold up but I think I'd go four or five layers of foil next time and see how they are without the heat packs.

Attachments

• C868CEA8-1A22-4261-932D-BFEC0AE9D1A7.jpeg
    C868CEA8-1A22-4261-932D-BFEC0AE9D1A7.jpeg
    226.6 KB · Views: 6
Now this may sound crazy but hear me out. I took the insoles out of my shoes and then cut out some aluminium foil inserts to help retain heat. Combined with some heat tech socks from Uniqlo, and also a heat pack, my feet were nice and toasty after 3 hours of cycling with winds. I'd like to try a longer ride to see how they hold up but I think I'd go four or five layers of foil next time and see how they are without the heat packs.
Hmm, maybe I should expand on this idea and put aluminium foil over my head (to keep it warm of course)

Now this may sound crazy but hear me out.
This is not crazy at all. Insulation by reflection is a thing, and is not just used in clothing but also for building materials.

How well this works in a given application depends on the situation. E. g. if the issue is wind chill, then you should start by making your shoes/sock/outer shoe combo more windproof. That is why I think outer shoes are necessary in those situations. Ditto if the problem is water ingress, you need to add a layer that prevents your feet from getting wet before doing anything else. In both situations adding aluminum foil likely won't do much, at least later on in the ride. But once you have ensured wind and water stay out, then it'll probably make a big difference.

When shoe shopping, one thing @OreoCookie mentioned above is a big toe box--ample room for your forefoot.

This makes a difference in cold weather. Not being tight (like chinese foot-binding) means better blood circulation, besides some extra space for heavier socks and/or a kairo.

(I know the POV that a tight/snug shoe provides better feel, control, power, etc., but comfort can be important, too.)

This is not crazy at all. Insulation by reflection is a thing, and is not just used in clothing but also for building materials.

How well this works in a given application depends on the situation. E. g. if the issue is wind chill, then you should start by making your shoes/sock/outer shoe combo more windproof. That is why I think outer shoes are necessary in those situations. Ditto if the problem is water ingress, you need to add a layer that prevents your feet from getting wet before doing anything else. In both situations adding aluminum foil likely won't do much, at least later on in the ride. But once you have ensured wind and water stay out, then it'll probably make a big difference.
I've got some outer layer covers as well but still find my feet getting cold after only an hour or so on the bike in this weather, in spite of merino / heat tech socks.

I've got some outer layer covers as well but still find my feet getting cold after only an hour or so on the bike in this weather, in spite of merino / heat tech socks.
In those cases I use a merino wool sock, put a plastic bag over it, put on my shoes and put overshoes, well, over my shoes. Also, not all overshoes are the same, some are warmer than others. For hands you can do something similar, put on a pair of nitryl gloves. I always have a pair and two plastic bags in my saddlebag for emergencies. They weigh literally nothing (I'm sure @saibot would approve, although he might cut the plastic bags to size), and they really helped me in a pinch on more than one occasion.

I have very cold hand and feet, and I can go with bib shorts if my feet are warm enough. That's much more comfy than having either bibs or bib shorts and legwarmers, but no overshoes.

Maybe Uggs should get into the winter cycling shoe boot business...? :flip:

Get a couple high profile endorsements, hope for a new fashion trend?

Back
Top Bottom