What's new

Winter cycling shoes

ris

Cruising
Apr 15, 2018
Hi All

My name's Ian. I'm over from NZ until early Feb, based in Tachikawa . I've been amusing myself riding up various riverside paths in western Tokyo. However, I'm finding that even with two pairs of socks and (admittedly old fleece type) shoe covers I'm getting rather cold feet from about 30 minutes into a ride. Can any of you gentlemen (women?) on this forum recommend a bike shop selling reasonable quality spd compatible winter shoes? Thanks in advance :)

I have these boots which I've been meaning to sell, but too lazy to put up a full classified add. slightly used, very good condition. size EU 44, US 9.7 CM 27.8. yours for 15,000 JPY, plus shipping. if you're interested for more details etc just DM me

maniacs-shop_pd-01022819_1

I'm a 41 so would be too large thanks all the same Luka.

Have you tried 'kairo'? I do use heavy wool socks**, but putting one of these on the bottom forefoot seems to help. They look like this in the stores:

カイロ

The large-ish square/rectangular ones are what I use, tho there are some that are rounded. Put them on the outside of your socks, since direct skin contact is a no-no. Also, they take a while to get going, so if possible, open the packs to air maybe a half hour before needing them. One side is sticky, maybe a little too sticky sometimes, since after riding they can be a pain to peel off the socks, but no new shoes needed.

**in general, not just for riding--and, oddly enough, my best ones are from NZ

Last edited:
Actually I hadn't thought of that option and there is a drawer full of them here :) Thanks dude...And yes I also have several pairs of winter weight NZ woolen socks, usually reserved for snowboarding

Reactions: jdd
I recommend these but only available in XL

CXWXC (CX-201) Bicycle Shoe Cover, Waterproof, Cold Protection, Retroreflective, Non-Slip, For Autumn and Winter, Road Bikes, Binding Shoes, Shoe Cover, Unisex https://amzn.asia/d/3Z5oaSx

Same maker but different design, so I imagine the quality is good, full range of sizes

CXWXC Bicycle Shoe Cover, Cold Protection, Waterproof, Windproof, Compatible with Bindings, Retroreflective, Unisex (CX-206) https://amzn.asia/d/56uOcGm

Andy

Have you tried 'kairo'? I do use heavy wool socks**, but putting one of these on the bottom forefoot seems to help.
In my experience, you usually need both: (merino) wool socks keep your feet warm, yes. But you need a shoe cover to keep water and/or wind out. Especially once it is wet, you really, really need shoe covers. My favorite are merino wool socks. They can be pricy, but are totally worth it, especially if you are someone cursed with weak blood flow to the extremities. I think it was @andywood who recommended some to me. They were a revelation and are super useful not just on the bike.

I have Pearl Izumi and Castelli shoe covers. I bought the Pearl Izumi's at a regular price, and I think they were 2–2.5 x of what @andywood quoted. The Castelli's were about the same, but I bought them on this forum from a member who from time to time sells leftovers from last season. The Castellis are made out of a neoprene-like material (not sure if it is real neoprene), so they keep out water better. I think my Pearl Izumi's might be a hair warmer when it gets really cold.

Have you tried 'kairo'? I do use heavy wool socks**, but putting one of these on the bottom forefoot seems to help. They look like this in the stores:

カイロ

The large-ish square/rectangular ones are what I use, tho there are some that are rounded. Put them on the outside of your socks, since direct skin contact is a no-no. Also, they take a while to get going, so if possible, open the packs to air maybe a half hour before needing them. One side is sticky, maybe a little too sticky sometimes, since after riding they can be a pain to peel off the socks, but no new shoes needed.

**in general, not just for riding--and, oddly enough, my best ones are from NZ
That's exactly what I do and works well.

On particularly cold days, I well some shoe covers as well.

Reactions: ris
i tend to have a lot of problems on my feet and still suffering a lot during winter rides.

my last combo was what served me best so far:
regular (non-summer, but also non-winter) socks
regular shoes
piece of a thick plastic bag
castelli toe covers
pearl izumi winter overshoes

kept me pain-free for a 4h ride, ranging from 0 to 5 degrees.

kairo inst an option for me since it wont fit my shoes....

I got some dhb neoprene toe covers from crc. Work pretty well in conjunction with merino socks.

Haven't workman upped their game? Loads of good kit nowadays. My kids wear Famima socks but I'm too long in the tooth to be swayed by social media hype:rolleyes:

even better than that with the ¥ current weakness!

Hi All

My name's Ian. I'm over from NZ until early Feb, based in Tachikawa . I've been amusing myself riding up various riverside paths in western Tokyo. However, I'm finding that even with two pairs of socks and (admittedly old fleece type) shoe covers I'm getting rather cold feet from about 30 minutes into a ride. Can any of you gentlemen (women?) on this forum recommend a bike shop selling reasonable quality spd compatible winter shoes? Thanks in advance :)
I ride in 5•to 0• weather frequently for an hour as my commute. A plastic bag over your foot, under your sock will work well. I've since upgraded to neoprene toe covers and happy with them.

I ride in 5•to 0• weather frequently for an hour as my commute. A plastic bag over your foot, under your sock will work well. I've since upgraded to neoprene toe covers and happy with them.
Under your sock? I always put them over my sock. That felt much better and the skin of my feet did not become all shriveled up. Plus, entry and exit of my feet into and out of the shoe was super easy :)

Back
Top Bottom