What's new

Winter clothing education thread

If anyone is interested these, I can get them direct from Peter. Even more so, if TCC wants a logo on them, that's cest possible!

They look good. (Well actually they look hideous, but that's the point. Visual aesthetics aside, they look good.) And the price is right.

At least at the beginning, an ordering process in French was refreshing. (Even my crap French was adequate.) Résumé, done; Identifiez-vous, done; Adresse, done ("Japon" was as usual one of the many nation options, together with cycling-needy Nauru and the rest); Frais de port: uh-oh, Choisissez votre mode de livraison Aucun des transporteurs ne peut distribuer à cette adresse ! ("Choose your delivery method / No delivery service can send to this address!").

I could have a couple sent to a friend elsewhere, who'd send them on to me; but that would mean inconveniencing the friend. So I'll settle for Wiggle, which has lots of options (example).

(More options are better, but I sometimes wish Wiggle had fewer. I'm exhausted by looking through them. And as for the Mechanix brand gloves....)

Or you could go to the Japanese store "Work Mate" and pick up exactly the same thing there for a fraction of the cost. They do windproof, water proof and even ones wwith built in LED's for those that REALLY want to stand out.

On the Vü brand fluorescent yellow and blazing white "We are digging up your road so that neighbours you've never seen or heard of can watch cable TV" thingies from http://www.gilet-signalisation.fr/

If anyone is interested these, I can get them direct from Peter. Even more so, if TCC wants a logo on them, that's cest possible!

Yes, I'd be interested -- in two (one for me, one for the missus). But only if mates of yours are interested. (I'd hate to waste the time of both of you.)

As for a TCC logo . . . hmm . . . I'd wear it with pride, of course. But also with shame. I mean, what would my (slow, panting) display of it say about TCC?

The page about "personalized" versions talks about a minimum order of 40; that'd be two down for me and only 38 more customers needed; by the time the 38 had been rustled up, I might have raised my cruising speed somewhere more respectable.

Or you could go to the Japanese store "Work Mate" and pick up exactly the same thing there for a fraction of the cost. They do windproof, water proof and even ones wwith built in LED's for those that REALLY want to stand out.

The Vü gilet is EUR 14.90. A simple reflective vest from a hardware store like the one I used for the brevet is 1480 yen, virtually the same.

RIMG1120.JPG

The LED ones are more expensive, about 3500.

The Vü gilet is EUR 14.90. A simple reflective vest from a hardware store like the one I used for the brevet is 1480 yen, virtually the same.

Yes, stores selling hardware and/or work clothes offer good deals. But for November onwards, a plus for the Frenchy gilet is that it's a gilet and thus something of a windbreaker. Of course Wiggle sells similar things too.

Come to think of it, the hardware stores may sell gilets too. (Though probably not under that name.)

Like I said go take a look at the hardware store - they sell windproof and waterproof variants.

James, I disagree with your comment about local reflective goods being "a fraction of the cost" of Tim's gilet, which I see as good value (excluding single unit shipping costs!) compared to the rather simple reflective vest I got. It probably fits a lot better and is wind proof, while the only real advantages of my vest are its adjustability and easy local availability.

However, if one does significant night time riding, getting a reflective vest from wherever is a good idea, as is a small helmet light.

Another tip - Y's Road just got in their Bicycle Line winter selection. Go check it out! Since they (Y's International) are the sole importer and distributor in Japan, the pricing is very good considering most imported items. Bicycle Line uses MiTI fabrics (top Italian mills) and have awesome gear. In fact, many of you are probably wearing it - just branded slightly different. I'm gonna spring for their long bibs and probably a Jacket. Can't resist.

Quick search on Monotaro brings up alot of vest options:

http://www.monotaro.com/s/q-%83x%83X%83g/page-3/

I think the VU gilets are pretty good value at about 1400 yen - they are cut for cycling so they cover your tail. One thing I don't like about construction vests is they are too short in the back.

Also why my 100y store rainjacket gets my 1000% vote. Less than 150gr and you take the longer one and just cut it to make a really good fitting jacket. It's semi-transparent , meets most bib visibility rules and has a hood! Under more inclement conditions you can wear the hood under your helmet. Oh, yeah, did I say it's only 100y?

Monotaro also has some cycling specific stuff if you dig deep .. great prices, too! I get HOZAN tools from them, for example. And NTN bearings...

http://www.monotaro.com/k/store/TS DESIGN(Top Shaleton Sports)/

Another tip - Y's Road just got in their Bicycle Line winter selection. Go check it out! Since they (Y's International) are the sole importer and distributor in Japan, the pricing is very good considering most imported items. Bicycle Line uses MiTI fabrics (top Italian mills) and have awesome gear. In fact, many of you are probably wearing it - just branded slightly different. I'm gonna spring for their long bibs and probably a Jacket. Can't resist.

I second that recommendation! Just got a pair of Bicycle line Bib tights two days ago from Ys. Just around the 10,000yen mark and felt as good as other brands almost twice the price (Mavic and Pearl Izumi was the other ones I tried on).
Just need it to become a bit colder so I can use them for real.

James, I disagree with your comment about local reflective goods being "a fraction of the cost" of Tim's gilet, which I see as good value (excluding single unit shipping costs!) compared to the rather simple reflective vest I got. It probably fits a lot better and is wind proof, while the only real advantages of my vest are its adjustability and easy local availability.

However, if one does significant night time riding, getting a reflective vest from wherever is a good idea, as is a small helmet light.

But yours is a not a jacket its basically a belt. You can get high vis jackets that fit very close from Workmate - I know this because I looked in to it when commuting daily in to Tokyo.

Great thread (and great group - happy I joined!). Since I only recently got my bike this will be my first time to ride in winter here. I've been looking at wiggle as there's no way I can find any clothes here that will fit me (that goes for non-cycling wear too).

My biggest trouble in winter is if my ears get cold I'm miserable (and often get a headache). Do those skull caps make your head too sweaty? In the UK I used just those ear warmer things, but didn't generally go out when it was freezing.

So I decided it was time to look in a work-clothes store today. I was sure there were one or two close to where I lived, but perhaps I was whizzing along too fast to be able to notice them today when I wanted them. I thought about this, slowed down, and spotted Nakkuru Musashi-koyama-ten (close to Nakahara-kaidou). This is shopping I can enjoy: I filled my backpack with all kinds of goodies and a 5,000 yen note covered the lot. Aside from the goodies themselves, special attractions include the name (when I googled for ナックル just now the first hit was for brass knuckles / knuckledusters) and the advertising, in which men of menacing appearance are identified as kickboxers.

I learn here that each branch of Nakkuru opens on weekdays at 06:00.

I recently bought some dhb leggings and an odlo light base layer from wiggle.
Got to test them out this morning. Both were excellent.
The odlo base layer was very warm and nicely fitting and long so it ran right over my bum.
Now I can stay in my summer kit for a while longer.

I much prefer the freedom of the lighter kit and with my purchases I can exten it's use up till jan I would think.

Here is my pre dawn line up

Hat helmet
Odlo base layer, summer short sleeve shirt. Arm covers
Summer bib
Dhb leg covers
Socks full finger gloves. Toe covers.

The arm covers can come off as the sun comes out. If I was out for the day I would bring fingerless gloves too.

Agree about the lighter/more flexible kit, and I find the full-on jackets to be a tough one to figure into my kit.

I just got some Castelli Nano plus gloves and Gore Windstopper booties (can't justify the winter shoes when my Garmin is on the fritz...)

When I'm over my sinus infection and cold I will post a review in the proper forum and an update here

The Odlo Light Base Layer looks good - might pick up a couple myself.

I've been using these foot warmers for the past week:
http://webshop.montbell.jp/goods/disp.php?product_id=1130302

I have only platform pedals and I cycle in Nike Free 3.0s (with very porous mesh upper) and, since I usually ride at night, my feet have been getting very cold. I was looking for foot warmers that were not cycling-shoe specific and thought I'd take the plunge with these given the low price.

Pros:
Easy to put on.
You can walk in them normally.
Cheap.
Can use with trainers.
Reasonably lightweight.
Keep your feet warm (I have been cycling with one pair of woolen socks, my nike frees, and these warmers in 5-10C for a couple of hours and they hold up reasonably well).

Cons:
The velcro wrap that goes around the ankle is very, very tight - unless I have the velcro strap barely secured, I feel them constricting my Achilles' tendons.
After a couple of hours at 5C, my feet were starting to get pretty chilly - not suitable for very cold temperatures.

I'm hoping for some winter bottoms advice.

I currently cycle in generic cycling shorts over uniqlo heattech tights. I'm looking to get something warmer that I can both cycle in and run in during the colder months.

Do you think it's better to
1. get running tights and cycle in them;
2. get cycling tights and run in them;
3. something else?

And, will good winter tights be noticeably warmer than my current set up?

I'm hoping for some winter bottoms advice.

I currently cycle in generic cycling shorts over uniqlo heattech tights. I'm looking to get something warmer that I can both cycle in and run in during the colder months.

Do you think it's better to
3. something else?

No idea about the running part, but I'd suggest the DHB line of winter rights on Wiggle. The stuff is good quality and cheap, I have two pieces of the Roubaix Veron line and I recommend.

Sounds work-able. Curious to know how this is, myself.... I'd like to try Skins or something underneath. Just to try it, I guess.

That sounds very uncomfortable. Padding seems like it would just be a bit weird for running. Never tried tho, maybe it's all right.

3. something else?
Dedicated winter bibs are great. I've got one, I like it a lot. My other winter bottoms are not the bib style and I don't find them nearly as comfortable.

could be, the ones I have seem to do really well for insulation and from wind....

Actually, I was in Sports Depot last week and after trying on their admittedly limited range of cycling leggings, opted for some running tights (Adidas) as decided they were much more practical for actually cycling in - some IQ Windbreaker ones spring to mind - and also offer slight compression, which I like. I`ve only used them a couple of times - just over my usual shorts - but seem fine so far. Caveats though, are that it doesn`t get that cold down here, and my legs are the last part of me that feels the cold, so I don`t need anything more than a cover really. The only time I tried cycling with my heat-tech tights, I was over-heating badly.

Pretty much everything I've posted before I used on a recent ride in Taiwan which started at sea level and went to over 3000m elevation in the same day. We had to carry everything with us as support van assistance was not ensured due to multiple road closures and rider spacing.

The first trip over the mountain I succumbed to near hypothermia. Nothing in particular was cold - just overall I lost core body temp and couldn't recover. The key factor was the pouring rain. I prepared too little due the warmth at the bottom.
- Bibs w/ Outwet leg warmers
- Silk basewear with SS Jersey and Arm warmers
- Wool socks w/shoe covers
- 100y store rain jacket
- Nylon 'VU' Gilet
- Long finger gloves (spring type)

At the pre-summit checkpoint I added another LS Jersey and also a layer of newspaper. I also put on my Pearl Izumi scull cap. As I mentioned, I nearly froze to death , was wet, miserable and had to be sagged to the noodle shop. Only 1 person out of 16 (several pros, btw) actually completed the full descent.

The reverse trip I prepped much better and in addition it wasn't raining.
- BicycleLine Winter bibs
- Odolo LS Base
- Rapha Merino Jersey (2nd base)
- Poly LS Jersey
- VU Gilet
- Wool socks
- 100y store rain jacket
- Long finger gloves and scull cap

It was actually colder at the summit, but no rain. I also packed in a layer of newspaper mainly to absorb sweat and windshield on the initial descent.

I'd love to add a couple of technical pieces to my kit selection:

1) Lightweight form fitting rain / wind jacket. Softshell type. To use instead of the gilet.
2) Hardshell formfitting rain / wind jacket. When the weather gets nasty.

I have some Northwave Gortex riding shoes - but didn't bring them as the weather report showed pretty docile conditions. Not sure I would have needed them on this trip as the severe cold was limited more or less to the summit area. Shoe covers and hot kaido worked fine for my feet. Though the wet conditions disabled the hot kaido.

The highlight items for sure were the Odolo basewear , BicycleLine Bibs and the Rapha Jersey and Rapha Socks. The 100y store raincoat worked great, too - an effective wind /water barrier. Where I messed up on the first day was not having the winter bibs and wool jersey on from the get go.

Back
Top Bottom