Wind

theBlob

Bokeh master
Sep 28, 2011
It's like a hill without a hill. This morning I had a quick run up Arakawa. For the ride up I was in close to the same gear I used to go over mt takao last week. With an average of 24km/hr. On the way back it was like I was riding in a bubble. It was the strangest feeling to be doing 45km/hr with absolutely no wind noise. Anyway with a 41.5pm/hr average for the ride back it was all worth the slog up!!

I was trying to tell myself it was all good traning but I think I prefer hills to a strong headwind. Here is something demotivating about slogging so hard on a flat cycle road. Nothing dotivating about having it at your tail though! :bike::D

bird

Speeding Up
Nov 30, 2010
Kawasaki
Unlike a real hill, wind can CHANGE....:)
I used to ride along Edogawa a lot, and often had to ride against headwind both ways. Especially if you reach the turning point around noon.

Anyway, glad you had a great ride while I was sleeping all this morning.

FarEast

Maximum Pace
May 25, 2009
Yokohama
Well if you stop using your speed as a performance indicator and use wattage you'll see cycling in a whole new light, especially if you are "actually" training rather than just riding

Forsbrook

Maximum Pace
Feb 13, 2008
Katsushika-ku
Bird,I Hear You

"Unlike a real hill, wind can CHANGE....
I used to ride along Edogawa a lot, and often had to ride against headwind both ways. Especially if you reach the turning point around noon."

You are competely right!

There's nothing more demoralizing than riding against the wind in both directions.

Over the years I've managed to find the Nakagawa,which is less open to the wind, that runs parallel to the Edogawa from Sekiyado to near Misato to offset the wind somewhat.

StuInTokyo

Maximum Pace
Dec 3, 2010
Yes it was windy today, going up a hill with a full load of empties (still heavy!) I could really feel the wind moving the trailer around behind me, kind of a strange sensation.... oh and hard work too, as I provide a large area for the wind to push on....

theBlob

Bokeh master
Sep 28, 2011
Well if you stop using your speed as a performance indicator and use wattage you'll see cycling in a whole new light, especially if you are "actually" training rather than just riding
I don't think what I do would qualify for you as training, I am quite sure there are all kinds of things that constitute "proper" training that I do not do or even consider.

I just go as fast as I can and pretend I'm in the Tour de France, especially when I go past guys wearing yellow:D