What's new

Wind jackets

scandiman

Warming-Up
Aug 12, 2010
Wind jackets (and layered clothing in general)

Do you love yours? Would you recommend it? Thanks!

Criteria:

- Wind proof and water resistant
- Lightweight
- Comfort fit as opposed to race fit
- Works well with multiple layers in Tokyo winter (prefer thin jacket instead of soft shell)
- Works well with a single layer in Tokyo early spring/late fall (cycling vest in summer)
- Other important considerations?

Jackets I have been looking at:

1. http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-hunston-clear-race-jacket/

Nearly everything sounds great from the reviews. But can I trust these? Price is of course a big plus.

2.http://www.wiggle.co.uk/gore-bike-wear-balance-iii-windstopper-jacket-aw10/

Reluctant to spend this amount of money, although I know there are far more expensive jackets around. Worth it?

3. http://www.wiggle.co.uk/giordana-body-clone-forma-red-protection-jacket/

If only this statement was true: "The material of the pouch allows a wet jacket to air dry, even when packed up."

Cheers!

I am a big fan of the Gore Windstopper stuff! I own two non-cycling Windstopper jackets that get a ton of use, and as of this winter I have Gore Bike Wear Windstopper jacket that I'm already in love with. Additionally just for comparison, it is significantly warmer than an equivalent weight Pearl Izumi P.R.O. wind blocking jacket.

Spend the money on the Gore product, you won't be disappointed!

I have several 'jam econo' wind jacket / options.

1) Pearl Izumi windjacket - got on sale at BIC for like 2500yen.
2) Wind 'gilette' that came with race entry at one of the HC.
3) Newspaper stuffed down my jersey (one of my favs for descending cause it also absorbs the sweat accumulated from the ascent and can easily be tossed as its 100% biodegradable)
4) 100yen store plastic basket cover - which also doubles as my bike 'rinko'.
5) 100yen store plastic rain jacket cut down and tailored. Fits in seat bag or waterbottle tool can. Perfect for those bitter cold and / or rainy events.

The thing I hate is that damn law of physics related to the heat of reaction exchange due to evaporation. Meaning, as you workout, you may sweat (moisture). Any clothing that breathes naturally allows for evaporation (cooling). How to balance this out is key. I don't mind blocking all the wind on the way up - as long as I can unzip enough and balance the heat. On the way down, I freeze and want full blockage and insulation as well as maximum moisture control or wicking.

Now, if I can just solve the frozen fingers issue as easily ...

I am a big fan of the Gore Windstopper stuff! I own two non-cycling Windstopper jackets that get a ton of use, and as of this winter I have Gore Bike Wear Windstopper jacket that I'm already in love with. Additionally just for comparison, it is significantly warmer than an equivalent weight Pearl Izumi P.R.O. wind blocking jacket.

Spend the money on the Gore product, you won't be disappointed!

I`ll second that! I have a Gore wind stopper jacket, its a "race fit" so doesn`t flap. Thin but warm, is rainproof in all but the strongest downpours and doesn`t show any signs of wear after 2 years. It was expensive but is the best piece of kit ever bought.

The thing I hate is that damn law of physics related to the heat of reaction exchange due to evaporation. Meaning, as you workout, you may sweat (moisture). Any clothing that breathes naturally allows for evaporation (cooling). How to balance this out is key. I don't mind blocking all the wind on the way up - as long as I can unzip enough and balance the heat. On the way down, I freeze and want full blockage and insulation as well as maximum moisture control or wicking.

While there is no perfect solution, that is precisely the thing that, IMHO, the Gore Winstopper handles admirably! It's the best I've found so far!

As I side note, because I am so satisfied, I just ordered a pair of Gore Windstopper bibtights to match the jacket!

I know you probably aren't looking to buy a women's jacket... but for whatever my two cents are worth, this is what I like/look for in a jacket.

I have two jackets, one a friend gave me (I would never have chosen 'screaming yellow' as a color) by Pearl Izumi.
http://www.rrsport.co.nz/product/PEARL-IZUMI-WOMENS-WHISPER-JACKET?p=33959
It's good for fall/spring and packs small. The arms zip off and when all the zippers are undone it has a nice balance for breathable plus windbreak. Though I don't like the color, it is very visible. And that's good.
Things I like and would look for again:
packs small and super light
zippered pockets (two in front, plus a breast pocket, one in the back)
underarm zippers for ventilation
long in back
machine washable

Things I don't like
arms are a little short
sleeves have elastic
not waterproof

I also have a heavier water proof jacket (unfortunately less waterproof after I crashed in it Jan 2010...) http://www.showerspass.com/catalog/closeout/womens-club-jacket

I bought it in Portland-- people who should know how to do rain cycling gear -- but there is a dealer in Tokyo. http://www.mizutanibike.co.jp/showerspass/index.html
Heavier, great for winter. This plus a winter jersey has kept me totally warm in the snow and sub-zero (Celcius) weather. Most recently I biked through -7C windchill (reportedly...) night and my core was not cold.

Things I like
I like the color and reflectivity
big vent on the back
underarm zips
velcro wrist closures-- big difference in keeping body heat if they are open or closed
big enough to fit over my 10L backpack (good for a rainy commute or tour)
good for rain (and snow)
back zip pocket
all things considered, withstood a crash pretty well
if buying things for small companies is important to you...
machine washable

Thing I don't like
hard to do the zippers with one hand (get stuck too much)
after a year, it is showing wear in the shoulders (I did commute last winter with it)
(probably harder to get and more expensive to buy in Japan)
too big to put in a jersey pocket (but much less bulky than any Gortex jackets I looked at)

Castelli Fusione Jacket

This is a nice jacket good in a lot of situations. It has front and rear zip vents and you can open the rear zips on the fly. The front zippers are a little tough to get open while riding, but you can do it. I was out this morning with a tee shirt, long sleve jersey and the jacket and was more than warm enough.

They are expensive and that is the big drawback to this jacket. I got mine used on ebay.

Cycling Plus recently rated "winter rain jackets." The Gore Path II was a 9/10 and their "editor's choice." The dhb Signal got an 8/10. It was by far the best buy at 55 pounds. If you are interested in the entire list, I'll be happy to post names and their ranking, just let me know.

Another vote for a Gore jacket from me. I have the Phantom Windstopper. It's a race fit model so pretty tight. It doesn't have an annoying flap in the wind.

One big extra benefit about this jacket is that if you get too warm during a ride it is easy to remove the sleeves and put them in your back pocket. Making it usable in the winter, spring and autumn.

Well worth the extra money. And it should last for many years. :)

I have a relatively cheap rain jacket that doubles as wind breaker. For me it was most important that it was small and light, and visible. I hardly ever use it. I need the ventilation which it normally blocks. I take it out only for really long descents and even then it depends what else I'm already wearing and the temperature. Or of course when I get caught in rain.

All I needed was something light, breathable and cheap.

Went for the dhb Wisp wind stopper, meets all my requirements as its the last layer of my seasonal layering.

One thing you should bear in mind is that you shouldn't be looking for a "One Jacket fits all jobs" for outer layers.

A lot of water resistant jackets will make you sweat, my Pearl Izumi jacket does and once you over heat and take it off then you'll get chills due to being wet.

Best solution is to wear multiple layers, reduce layers as the seasons change its more cost effective in the long run and enables you to strip layers and store on your person as you ride.

Best solution is to wear multiple layers, reduce layers as the seasons change its more cost effective in the long run and enables you to strip layers and store on your person as you ride.

That is the key right there, whether cycling, snow skiing or just about any other winter sport. It's all about high-tech, thin, lightweight layers.

That is the key right there, whether cycling, snow skiing or just about any other winter sport. It's all about high-tech, thin, lightweight layers.

I wear a thin Uniqlo heat tech inner under the Gore Windstopper . No sweating problems as its breathable. I also have a Pearl Izumi jacket which seems thicker but isn`t as warm as the Gore.

From high tech to newspapers -- liking it

Thanks all for advice so far.

Pete, Pete and Zenbiker: The Gore jackets indeed sounds like quality and certainly come across as much nicer than the name indicates. Finding both the Phantom 2 and the Countdown AS interesting - soft and active shell respectively. Sure, bit pricey but since both jackets can turn into vests...

Kori: "I know you probably aren't looking to buy a women's jacket (...)". True, but plenty of good advice nevertheless :) Thanks.

Fred: Sure, please post that list.

Ludwig: I wish I could be as warm as you without a jacket on descents!

Le Directeur: Very valid points about avoiding the "one jacket fits all jobs" thinking. I do not want to save money now and then realize that it was not really saving in the long run.

Tim: I must admit I am kind of weak for the newspapers and beyond approach. Not exactly Rapha from top to toe and you can take that as a compliment.

So, who knows what I will be wearing by the end of the day...

Frode

Now, if I can just solve the frozen fingers issue as easily ...

Marigolds - or to the rest of the world washing up gloves. It's the ultimate in windproof-water proof gloves.

Method:

• layer 1: Thin cotton glove that hug the fingers and hands.
  • Layer 2: Rubber gloves, latex gloves or other thin non breathable gloves (Ones you get for free at the petrol station work great!)
  • Layer 3: Standard outer bike gloves.

Le Directeur: Very valid points about avoiding the "one jacket fits all jobs" thinking. I do not want to save money now and then realize that it was not really saving in the long run.

I would use the money to by multiple layers right now this is what im wearing:

Top:

• Fast wicking vest by outwet
  • Under Armour long sleeved thermal turtle neck
  • Team issue jersey
  • dhb Wind slam long sleeved jersey
  • Team issue Gilet
  • dhb Wisp wind breaker
Head:

• ASSOS Robo cap
  • dhb buff
  • LAS Victory helmet with winter pads

Lower:

• dhb Super Roubaix windslam bib tights
  • Team issue shorts
  • wool socks
  • Shimano RW80 winter and foul weather SPD-SL shoes

Not sure how much it all weighs.... may get on the scales today when I get home.

But im in no hurry on my rides at the moment..... come spring though the cardiovascular workouts begin and so does the flying ;)

Great tip about the washing up gloves. I put on some taxidriver thin cotton gloves under my windshells and it was ok - but still freezing. Threw a couple of thermonuclear heating pads and that worked pretty good except my palms good 1st degree burns and my fingertips frostbitten! I'm with you on the layers, mate. Wick,Thermal,Absorb, Break. My head is cold as well - the Assos Robo you mention looks great - how is i for foliculary challenged? I'd like to find a nice wool/silk blend skully. Using a neck buff now, as well. Its great cause I can pull it up to cover my nose, or down and keeps the back of my neck warm without having to zip up the jerseys so tight.

Today:

Bottom -
- Betones Cycling Undershort
- Crane Winter Bib (fleece lined with windstop on the front)
- Surly MTB wool socks
- Specialized cyclocross shoe
- Thermoactive pad on TOP each toe area - great tip! This works awesome
- Cheap sock pulled over the shoe
- Embrocation on the knee areas for a little extra heating action.

Top -
- Pantagonia wicking shirt (LS)
- 2XU LS Jersey
- Crane Jacket
- Pearl Izumi Wind Jacket

Head -
- Pearl Izumi beanie (too cold , imo)
- No winterpads on my Limmar - need to get a helmet cover or winter insert
- Poly neck buff

Hands -
- What hands? They froze!
- Thermoactive pads did help quite a bit , though not a perfect solution
- Tokyo Taxi Driver cotton gloves
- Windproof shell gloves

Once I get the extremities dialled in , I'll be fine.

FREEBIE

Not a jacket, but I have this thing in black, and I doubt I'll use it. (It's brand new.)

Besides being for colder wx than I ride in, I don't think it fits well at all--the front seems okay, but the velco straps that attach to each other in the back just don't fit right (design?). IMO

Free to whoever PMs me first, send along your postal address. If you don't like it, please pass it on to someone else.

((PS--you might not want to wear this into your local bank or combini))

Recntly rated by Cycling Plus

dhb Signal 55 poinds 8/10

Madison Stellar 70 pounds 7/10

Altura Night Vision Flite 80 pounds 8/10

Endura Flyte 100 pounds 9/10

Polaris Neutron 100 pounds 8/10

Mavic Flash 108 pounds 7/10

Showers Pass Touring 115 pounds 8/10

Santini 365 Rain Jacket 125 pounds 7/10

Montane Velocity 130 pounds 7/10

Gore Path II 140 pounds 9/10 Editor's choice

Foxwear Bootex 150 pounds 8/10

Zero RH 160 pounds 7/10

IXS Imperial Elite 160 pounds 6/10

The North Face Xenon 160 pounds 8/10

Pearl Izumi Pro WXB 200 pounds 8/10

Cycling Plus is one of the few places that will rate products side by side. They don't give everything they touch glowing reviews like some publications do. I generally like what they review. www.bikeradar.com (same publisher) has some pretty good reviews of products.

RE: Washing up gloves.

I might give these a go, though I fear that my hands will just become really wet and then freeze once I stop.
Actually, the tops of my thumbs are still numb since my ride on Saturday.
I wore Nike windproof gloves (albeit rather old and worn now) with some small conbeni gloves. To top it off I had a hokkairo down each glove as well.
Useless.

Needless to say, I went and got some new PI winter gloves after that. I'm still a bit curious if they'll do the job or not.

Back
Top Bottom