What's new

Wiggle Vs Chain Reaction

Forsbrook

Maximum Pace
Feb 13, 2008
I've been using Wiggle for ages,with the excellent exchange rates and tax free shopping,etc, I couldn't have been happier.
However,I recently discovered that CRC were markedly cheaper on a number of items so I tried them despite being a Wiggle platinum member.
My order hasn't arrived yet(more than a week since they dispatched it).
I was wondering if this is one of the reasons it is cheaper than Wiggle because the latter's orders always seem to arrive promptly in my case at least.
What are your experiences regarding both the companies?

Used CRC for a while then had a bad experience (goods not as described and not very helpful at sorting out their mistake) so switched to Wiggle and no problems. CRC were good up to that point. I'm not a super frequent buyer of things but feel more comfortable with Wiggle...... For now.
Rob

Robsta,
Thanks for that.
I guess I'll have to wait and see what happens with my order.
Many thanks.

I uses CRC for all MTB stuff and wheels - way cheaper than wiggle.

Never had an issue with CRC and remember

You can't blame Wiggle or CRC for the UK and Japanese postal services and the time it takes from dispatch to delivery.

I put this in bold as it seems to be a regular topic on many forums and people still don't seem to get it- once the items have been dispatched it is out of the hands of the retailer. Also you need to take in to account export and import inspections again something the retailer has no control over.

Also for the record if you use UPS, or other courier services for delivery it will be inspected at customs and it can take between 3-5 days to clear. If you go for EMS then there is a very high chance that it will be waved through.

Far East,thanks for clearing that up.
I guess you are right regarding the delivery and customs issues.
Cheers.

+1 for CRC as well.

ordered a ton of MTB stuff and never had a problem. haven't tried wiggle though. i patronize CRC because they also sponsor a DH team :)

I had been a huge Wiggle fan but in the last two orders I placed, one of the items I ordered was the wrong model. Twice in a row - and no excuse for it!

The second time, I took my bike apart, and one of the main things I wanted to do was put on a rear cog I ordered, but after putting it on, I noticed it was a 9 speed, not an 8, and had a limited range of gears, so I needed to put my bike back together, clean up (read: time wasted and frustration) and shoot and email to them. They came back with some automated-like response saying I should send it back and they would comp me for postage, and then they would send me what I ordered. That did not make me feel any better.

I sent another email and they agreed to send me what I ordered and I was to send them the wrong cassette back at my earliest conveneince, and then they would somehow pay me back for the shipping fee I would incure. Today it finally arrived and I have been looking more and more at CRC.

I have had numerous horendous experiences with screw-ups from Evans and do not plan on using them any time soon, but CRC seems good. More focused on MTB stuff though. Ribble can be good.

I though Wiggle was bought by another company a while back and the new ownership had something to do with this turn in service and was tempted to see if it was only me or others had the same experience, but was waiting to see how long it was going to take them to send me that cog.

Never used Wiggle. Bought a bicycle in February from CRC, ordered it Tuesday night Japan time and it was delivered on Saturday morning. Though shipping was by DHL.

Quite satisfactory on my part.:D

You can't blame Wiggle or CRC for the UK and Japanese postal services and the time it takes from dispatch to delivery.

I put this in bold as it seems to be a regular topic on many forums and people still don't seem to get it- once the items have been dispatched it is out of the hands of the retailer. Also you need to take in to account export and import inspections again something the retailer has no control over.

Also for the record if you use UPS, or other courier services for delivery it will be inspected at customs and it can take between 3-5 days to clear. If you go for EMS then there is a very high chance that it will be waved through.

While this is true, the lines between Japan Post, Yamato, et al, and Wiggle do not sit in total silence. I can't speak for CRC, but I imagine they have something similar going on.

I uses CRC for all MTB stuff and wheels - way cheaper than wiggle.

Never had an issue with CRC and remember

Unless you are me, then 9 out of 10 parcels are opened and inspected, from any retailer, or from family back home, don't matter, I'm on the Japan Post Fascist's $hit list.... :rolleyes: which is my fault, as I pointed out how stupid they were when they miss handled the importation of several Humidors that the exported stupidly labeled "Humidor" not "Cigar Boxes" they could not figure out what a "Humidor" was, so I got called down to the post office to explain myself. They were not very nice and rather rude about the whole thing, when I pointed to an English-Japanese dictionary on the wall and asked to see it, under "H" for Humidor was a translation and description. Ever since that day, 9 out of 10 of our parcels are opened and delayed, so I avoid using Japan post whenever I can!:mad:

Stu,

I hear you and their motorbikes riders are a law unto themselves,or at least think they are.
I was nearly taken out today after a ride down the Edogawa by a postman who just assumed that the road was clear just because it normally is!

Seems standards are slipping fast.

While I found Japan Post motorcycle riders mostly careful and considerate in the past, yesterday I almost hit one due to his reckless driving.

I was making a sharp right turn in my car into a one way street and swung slightly to the left to make the tight turn when suddenly a postal bike came up fast from behind and passed me on the left side around that corner! I'm glad we didn't touch. He sure was in a hurry.

For what it's worth. Recently ems shipments have been coming through much faster. No clue what was going on the lst 6 mo, but, now, Japan customs is quicker. Oh, forgot, the yen is stronger by almost 10% ,jeez, you think that has anything to do with it???

On the other hand, ALL my baggage was alien probed by the TSA coming back to Japan. Glad I didn't have THAT job! Sun total excess baggage charges were 3000yen. Not bad for more tha. 200kg total baggage. (3 passengers)

For what it's worth. Recently ems shipments have been coming through much faster. No clue what was going on the lst 6 mo, but, now, Japan customs is quicker. Oh, forgot, the yen is stronger by almost 10% ,jeez, you think that has anything to do with it???

On the other hand, ALL my baggage was alien probed by the TSA coming back to Japan. Glad I didn't have THAT job! Sun total excess baggage charges were 3000yen. Not bad for more tha. 200kg total baggage. (3 passengers)

Welcome back!!

Unbeleiveable! I opened my recent order from Wiggle today and surprise... surprise. They sent me the wrong stuff - again.

I don't know what to do. The last time this happened was at the end of February / early March and I took this approach:

...all that was required was putting a part in a box, and printing out a shipping label. I thought some sort of bar code inventory system would be used to prevent such errors from happening. Your staff need more training on how to read numbers and letters? Since this is the second time this has happened in a short amount of time, I don't get it. Is there some explanation?

They responded by saying their processing Manager had been made aware of the issues raised and was currently implementing an enhanced system to avoid any mistakes from happening on future.

Am I overreacting? The two tyres I ordered are the correct size, brand and color, but a different model and after reading some reviews, tend to be more prone to punctures. I might have let it go with that because I am an easy going guy, but the shocker, was that they sent me a black Thompson 'stem shim', instead of the silver Thompson 34.9mm seat post clamp that I ordered. WTF? I am still shaking my head in disbelief. I seriously think I could train chimps to put the orders together better.

I had been a huge Wiggle fan but in the last two orders I placed, one of the items I ordered was the wrong model. Twice in a row - and no excuse for it!

The second time, I took my bike apart, and one of the main things I wanted to do was put on a rear cog I ordered, but after putting it on, I noticed it was a 9 speed, not an 8, and had a limited range of gears, so I needed to put my bike back together, clean up (read: time wasted and frustration) and shoot and email to them. They came back with some automated-like response saying I should send it back and they would comp me for postage, and then they would send me what I ordered. That did not make me feel any better.

I sent another email and they agreed to send me what I ordered and I was to send them the wrong cassette back at my earliest conveneince, and then they would somehow pay me back for the shipping fee I would incure. Today it finally arrived and I have been looking more and more at CRC.

I have had numerous horendous experiences with screw-ups from Evans and do not plan on using them any time soon, but CRC seems good. More focused on MTB stuff though. Ribble can be good.

I though Wiggle was bought by another company a while back and the new ownership had something to do with this turn in service and was tempted to see if it was only me or others had the same experience, but was waiting to see how long it was going to take them to send me that cog.

Actually, today the second of my two parcels from my recent order (Wiggle) came through today (they originally tried to deliver it saturday, but the other was wednesday???) and for the first time, no additional fee :beer: I am about to try ProBikeKit for the first time...

I've used ProBikeKit - I like the fact they have multi-buy discounts. Since I typically need to order 5-10ea of stuff this works out quite well for items that are not reasonably stocked by distributors here in Japan. (Like Tubular tires). There is also a current coupon "comeback10" which gives an additional 10% discount - it's worked for me as recent as a couple days ago. I think for small parts or technical items you're much better to simply purchase locally. The price difference is not so much and you are basically getting some 'hands on' support and real time assistance. E-tailing is fine if you have time and /or looking for something that isn't locally available.

Possibly the lightest rinko ?? http://www.probikekit.com/jp/m.html This would work perfect for my coupler bikes. It seems the JR station managers look for 'something' to cover the dirty bits and when I've simply covered the chainline - they were satisfied - as long as the bike was decoupled and folded.

Bloody hell - Probikekit is expensive - almost 2,000 yen more for a set of vittoria tubulars and thats with the multi-buy discount if I buy 6 of them!

thanks but no thanks!

Back
Top Bottom