What's new

Why do you ride a bike?

Freeride39

Peloton Leader
May 28, 2006
I do it for the love of it... the freedom... exercise... to be competitive, to keep the gas station in my rear view? Does it really matter why? Plus I love the carbon, titanium, aluminum, lycra, and all the colorful jersey's. I love dropping riders on flats and climbs, plus I don't get mad when I get dropped on a climb either....LOL. Makes me train harder for a race that will probably never happen....:cool:

All of the above! And keeps me out of trouble, the wife would say ;)

I love dropping riders on flats and climbs, plus I don't get mad when I get dropped on a climb either....LOL.

Hah, great observation! I'm as competitve as anyone who tries to ride fast and race...but when I'm the one being dropped, I honestly don't mind. Somehow, "losing" at cycling doesn't feel the same as losing at any other sport or game I've done.

(There's a great line about this in Krabbe's The Rider. I think Krabbe asks a pro what it feels like to get dropped on a climb. Krabbe wonders if it isn't frustrating, soul-crushing, tear-inducing. But the pro just shrugs and says, "no, you just can't keep up any more. No big deal. Nothing you can do about it, so you just let the peloton go."

Have to confess though that I'm a little less sanguine about being dropped on the flats... :))

For the fun and convenience of getting around town... to lose a few tyres... and my pocket money has to go somewhere...

(There's a great line about this in Krabbe's The Rider. I think Krabbe asks a pro what it feels like to get dropped on a climb. Krabbe wonders if it isn't frustrating, soul-crushing, tear-inducing. But the pro just shrugs and says, "no, you just can't keep up any more. No big deal. Nothing you can do about it, so you just let the peloton go."

Ah! Someone else who knows that classic book! We need more cycling books like that!

Me too, I wish I had that zen-like clarity whilst being dropped!

Ash

Why to Ride??

All of the previous..........fun excercise blah blah blah

most of all for me..freedom......to take the road to the left or right; to explore routes not taken by many (AKA "the car")...For me the bike allows me to break free from work/life pressures I'm free to go as fast (or slow) as I want. If I am competitive I can enter races or just challenge the clock....

As for shaving............I havent for 20 years and I don't intend to start again! The time saved is in shaving is not measurable! as for road rash I havent fallen off for 20 years either so I don't understand why you need too shave!!! LOL:D I
I agree with Ash the colourful lycra has it's advanages! at least you can be seen!
Most of all I just like to ride!

Survey Says...

My top ten reasons for cycling (not necessarily in hierarchical order, which changes according to mood):

1) Mens sana in corpore sano (Latin: "A healthy mind in a healthy body")
2) The Fraternity / Sorority of Veloists (of other demented humans who refuse to take the underground at rush hour, don't have the money for a car (but somehow find the funds to mount a $5,000 beauty), and who have a passing familiarity with physical pain & discomfort!)
3) The Endless Debates (carbon vs. aluminum, Campy vs. Shimano, shaved vs. hairy bastard, will nail polish harm your paintwork, "aluminum" or "aluminium"...)
4) The Rush (all natural, and adrenaline's quite a bit cheaper, especially on Route 246!)
5) Endless Tinkering with Very Cool Machines (tools, toys & tinkering all start with a "T" (or beer))
6) A Place to Pour Pocket Money (if you don't have a boat, like gmason)
7) The Roar of Blood in the Inner Ear (crude speedometer; "Who needs a HRM...")
8) Most Efficient Use of the Human Engine (well, next to an MIT customized recliner)
9) Lycra (well, you know...)
10) Places to Go & People to Meet (even if it's only on a BBS)

I think I could go on, but let's leave it at that for now!

Ride on, brother!:bike:
Andrew

Eco-friendly, slow life

I got a bike to join the eco-friendly, slow-life movement. I just use it to do some commuting and light touring (in the future). It's made me much more aware of what's going on around me at all times--you gotta be or else.

My bike is just a steel tourer with relatively fat tires--32 mm--but it has a smooth ride in urban areas. It's great for exploring Tokyo, which is a great city for bikes except for all the pedestrians, grocery bike riders, and road traffic :confused:. I've just started but I hope to continue this new hobby for a long time.

Transportation!

Usually between the 20th & 25th (pay-day), I've drank away the last of my allowance (including train-fare) for the month - graciously given to me by my beautiful wife-to-be - And in order to get to work during the next few days... rain, hail or shine...
'Tis still the most convenient mode of transport, and is still the fastest!
(Under 25km across town, anyway) - Will race anyone who challenges this :cool:

The only difference is, I can usually arrive marginally less-sweaty on the train:D
T

Cleats !

I thought you were going to say that you had cleats on the bottom of your feet, which would be neat, to say the least......:p

I see where you're coming from with the expense account Yellow. I have had some huge bills the last few months and from the 16th till the 20th of May I only had 263 yen available. For 263 yen I got more mileage than I imagined.
Having the cycles to get me around saved me. The rain though is going to knock me around tomorrow and Friday and I have to get around 200kms or more in by May 31st to get my monthly quota. Could be a busy Saturday if I don't ride to work for the next 2 days.... :mad:

Back
Top Bottom