What's new

Who would have replaceable hangers in stock?

GSAstuto has or at least had some emergency get-you-home ones that clamp in the QR assembly.

Other than that... you'll be very lucky to find the right one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ugh. I was fearing that. His current one is working, but obviously out of whack.
I can't imagine an emergency one being much better than what he has.

Y's Road Shinjuku or Yokohama has a pretty good selection of hangers. You could also try the Akihabara stores as they also carry a lot of parts like this.

That's the kinesys one. I have a spare, but had to take the dremel to it for where the edge I in the middle to make it fit. Ill send you a picture this weekend and you could have it or free.

In the end I couldn't locate it in Japan that time and ordered from abroad. After that I saw it in some store here too, though I don't remember which one.

You could try sending a fax with the picture and your return number to Ys maniac in Shinjuku...

Spoke with Y's in Yokohama and they do not have it in stock.
It is ordered and they said 8-10 days.

But he is hurting with such a limited gear range for his commuting.

Thanks @Gunjira

This is on a less than top end frame - but there is a visible twist.
I made adjustments as best i could without the proper tools.
He can shift cleanly in roughly 4 gears... after that, it just goes to poop.

We are talking Tokyo right? Its flat as a pancake....4 gears, plus I assume 2 up front should suffice.

If he is worried about dropping the RD into his rear wheel, block the RD out as best you can using the limit screws.

MacGuyver time until Y's gets a new one.

Already MacGuyvered it to get him 4 gears.

And we are in Yokohama - his work is in Yokosuka - roughly 20k each way with two 'hills' that are not killers, but not ideal with only 4 gears.

He also does a group ride with us every Saturday and we do hit climbs > 8%.
Not quite fair to send someone out to keep up when he has access to less than half his gear range.

I have it. If it's for Wilier Izoard or similar. --- 2500 yen.

Try C-Speed kawazaki- he has the tools to twist it back in to position plus check frame alignment.

His wife ordered it, I know they ordered one for her bike too. Whether they ordered a spare for his or not, I do not know.

Just found it deep in the tool box. Shape is the same, but unfortunately one bolt instead of the two he needs. Sorry...

get some clamps and you should be able to straighten it at least a little, I was able to do that with mine (on the MTB after sagamiko crash) while waiting for a new one.
The best way to straighten it would be to get 2 matching bolts in a vice to simulate the frame mount, and one long bolt that would simulate derailleur and give it a few good smacks with a hammer, pliers or some wrench.
if the hanger is from steel it should be just fine, if it's alu - as long as it's not cracked it will give in to some extent.

Steel and to some degree, Ti hanger or dropouts can be straightened. 6XXX Alloy hangers may be straightened maybe 1 or 2 times before they crack and break. 7XXX hangers or those that are T4 or higher are designed for much higher stiffness and may yield only once before sustaining cracks. So - if it bends, don't try to bend it back, it will just break. Carrying an emergency hanger is a good idea. Then even if someone else in the group has a failure , you can help them. As a side note - one of the most common issues I see on bikes is mis-alignment of the rear dropouts. Especially for wider range gearing and 11sp its critical the derailler travels in a horizontal plane with the cassette. I use a beefy VAR alignment rod to check this whenever I service a bike.

Back
Top Bottom