What's new

Who is the best sprinter this year?

ProRaceMechanic

Maximum Pace
Dec 31, 2009
Who will tally the most wins in sprint finishes in La Grand Boucle?

Tyler, Thor and Heinrich together Hmmmm. Thats sounds like a plan. McEwen is sharp as a Shack but is his time up? Maybe not after a strong showing at the TDU and he may have a new zest following his recent turmoil from the pipe dream Peg-in-th-asis. Bonnen wants to prove he is worth his salary especially after his knee problems. Will he have the help of the Stybar? The cross champ will do the TOC, why not the TDF? Katusha is a stong team as well will Pozzato be there guy? Baden Cook from Saxo may add some more to wins to his list but with JJ who will be the whip and who will be the whipped? David Vigano from Leopard trek is labeled there sprinter, but will they waste amo away from the yellow bid? Greg Van Avermaet is BMC's young sprinter. Griepel is ready to win after draggin Cav to the line and is thirsty to show his new sponser Omega Pharma Lotto just why Cav was so fast. Graeme Brown and Oscar Freire @ Rabobank definitly need to be watched. Team Sky has shown how Swift can put his hands in the air above top sprinters this year already, is his form too early though? The green Jersey bid should be very intetresting given no bonuses will be awarded during the intermediate sprints and stage finishes.

Needless to say this the most exiting tour I have witnessed. It will be a great one. Don't Miss it!
Dont even have to question that Schleck will be in yellow on the Champs!

Boonen has made a good start to the year at Qatar. Cav, still on Christmas holidays.
Certainly a lot of young sprinters coming up as well.
I hope McEwen gets some good wins this year but he may be over the hill. He seems to be running on experience and ego at the moment which is a lot but I think that knee injury will flare up again after a few heavy tours.

Too bad Renshaw is riding for Cav. He is probably better than Greipel.

Poor Thor

I have has soft spot for Thor being a fellow Norwegian and dont know how he will handle being a helper when the tour comes around. Its also too bad he made negotiations before his world title. He doesnt seem like the bitter type though. Sure he he will get help in the classics but has he ever really needed it? I like Tylar Farrar as well. I watched him race in the Nature Valley Grand Prix in Minnesota as a Neo Pro and he always inspired me as he was the same age as me. I really do think Garmin has a great team this year epecially with the likes of Millar and Hausler

Cav has proved time and time again that he doesn't require a lead out to out sprint everyone else in the Peloton.

The changes by ASO regarding the sprint points certainly play into the hands of Thor. But sorry Cav is still the fastest man on 2 wheels and I predict he won't disapoint this year!

Tom Steels
" When he (Cavendish) is in form, he's almost unbeatable. His team is so strong but the best thing about Cavendish is that his position on the bike is incredibly good. He gets very low and that makes it difficult for the riders behind him. Normally the other sprinters would fight to be on Cavendish's wheel but it's no use because you don't get any shelter. It's better to be another place back - but then you have to come from further behind, so that's not easy either. It's very difficult to beat him. Even when he's not in the best form, he's still very fast."

Love the "Manx Missle" or not but I love the polarising effect he has on the fans... recently the peloton has been too chumy... look at last years TDF rivals..... Andy and Contodor where basically dating!

Bring back characters like the Badger, Cannibal and the Professor, I want pre race bitch talk riders grabbing jerseys and getting verbal with each other in the race at least Cavendish has a set!

Cavendish

He is definitly without a doubt the fastest in peloton. I like rooting for the underdog sometimes. I did extremly enjoy wathching him dominate the last few seasons though! I think it is everyones focus to close his doors anyway they can and they may resort to dirty tactics as well this year. I really think given his background as a track racer he races on the instinct he was bred with, and thats why you always see him closing peoples doors (thor, hausler, farrar) but even if he doesnt cut over peoples lines he would still win thats why sometimes it is frustrating not to see him run a straight sprint, but he is a professional and he doesnt want anyone taking the bread out of his mouth!

A good choice for sure though.
Anyone else?

there has to be some one who I have forgotten?

For the Yellow, well with Alberto out its the Shleck brothers. The only person that can really take on Andy is Frank and to be honest I think this years contest for the maillot jaune is going to be the most borring in history.

I can see it now "Oh you win, no you win, no you win,ok lets both win!" If you thought the "Let's be freinds" attitude of Andy and Alberto was bad then this year is going to be worse! I will have a bucket ready.... that is if Frank can stay on his bike this year.

The maillot à pois rouges is a little harder to gauge, a lot of Columbian riders are hitting the pro tour this year so we could see them wipe the field clean in the KOM in most Grand Tours. So I will wait to see who comes in to form before commenting on the climbers.

I think you will find that I was the best sprinter this morning, when the dodgy curry I had last night hit my lower intestines on my ride to work, exactly 1km from the nearest toilet...

I think you will find that I was the best sprinter this morning, when the dodgy curry I had last night hit my lower intestines on my ride to work, exactly 1km from the nearest toilet...

Its a british thing mate..... obviously runs in the genes.

The Columbians

Of coarse!
Great coffee, great climbing body type.
I first learnt of the idea of a smaller frame size for weight by watching the columbians dominate in the climbs of the Red Zinger Coors Classic videos I have for when I get carbon overload and want to see riders ride without helmets or friendship bracelets attached to there sachels. They had these tiny frames such as that there elbows would be far within there knees in the drops, but who could criticize with the speeds up the hills! This same position would do them no good in the flat stages as there chest would be like a sail but with Phinney in the sprint why even try. I look forward to seeing if his son can muster any of the talent his Mom and Pop bestowed him. Hopefully he is not full of himself and has some self drive and can carry his own weight. One thing is for sure he is built like a thouroghbred and if his health stays up he will be un-stopable in the future for the US contribution to the Pro Peloton.

And the whole world knows it!

Its a british thing mate..... obviously runs in the genes.

"Dodgy curry" IS indeed, a "British thing"! :p And it usually "runs in the jeans!"
2 for two!!!
Although, I have to say, the Japanese version of curry is not far behind.
Give me a real Indian "Dhal" any day!

Back
Top Bottom