What's new

Help Who can weld my rear chainstay on my brompton ?

Chancertime

Speeding Up
May 2, 2010
Please email me if you can do this.

It's my daily commute and I need it fixed asap.

Will to pay for time.

It doesn't have to be a great job.

Please email me and I'll send you a pic.

Cheers,
James

include a pic of the damage and are you looking for a TCC member with a welder or a recommendation for a welder? Also what area are you in?

That sucks!
Not going to be easy to weld is it, I'd be looking at a custom frame builder to handle that. I weld, but me and my MIG are not going to be able to handle that, sorry.
How old is the frame?
That looks like a complete failure right on a weld point too.

Ouch, Is that frame just dirty or really old and rusty? Like Stu said the break on the edge of the lug will be tough to repair, probably will need a new tube which means a custom frame builder. Is it worth it?
Might be time to salvage the useable parts and move on.

Hi,

Thanks for the responses.

The frame is one month out of Brompton's 5 year warranty period. I am waiting to hear what Brompton have to say about it given that it was purchased
in the U.K and I now reside in Japan..

In the meantime I've gone and bought a new(slightly used) rear triangle off Ebay for 65 pounds but it's still going to be a challenge fitting the
new rear triangle due to swing-arm screws.

Did that happen suddenly or propagate over a period of time?
Judging how clean the break looks it appears to have been a catastrophic break.
I'm sorry I can't help but I'm interested to know more about what caused your Brompton to fail like that.
Is it cro-mo?
How did it fail,were you just riding along and it happened or did you hit a pothole?

Will be interesting to see what Brompton say, they might be able to cut you a deal on parts e.t,c. Hope they can meet you somewhere

Back
Top Bottom