What's new

who’s your perfect training partner?

andywood

Maximum Pace
Apr 8, 2008
who's your perfect training partner?

Two back to back early morning rides with my training partner Kitano san.

These days we have little chance to ride together. But when we do, it's like we've been riding together every week.

Yesterday he gave me lesson in hill climbing. He was on great form. Effortlessly tapping away on the pedals. So light. So smooth. I was struggling to hold his wheel. In and out of the saddle. Struggling to get the right gear. It takes me about 50 km to get going. Later in the ride, it's my turn to take over and dish it out on the final few climbs.

Today there was no sparring. We worked together perfectly. Rotating through and off. Like a well oiled machine. Pushing on for the common cause. We don't stop but we enjoy chatting now and then "Who in the world likes green tea ice cream?" "How in the world were they making that sound, the Velvet Underground?"

We get home at 730. A single guy like him should still be nursing a hangover at this time on a Sunday morning. But he'll always be there before me. Red light flashing. Waiting to dish out the pain….

Anyway, so the question is, who is your perfect training partner?

Andy

www.jyonnobitime.com/time

Mike Sly when he isn't having a melt down! :D

He's ultra competitive and knows how to suffer - we are about the ssame level as well so we push each other to the very limit.

Training for competition and riding for fitness are different animals. For competition I prefer someone who will make every km count. No mercy.

For general fitness I prefer someone who can ride straight, good on-bike chatter and closely matched in performance so the waits at top or bottoms are just a 'breather'.

Takaaki and Tim are definitely my key riding/training partners! I've logged a lot of miles and a lot a vertical with these two! A big thank you to both of them!

I like riding with people, but only to see how well my solo training is going.I just like to work on my own schedule. I have a feeling this will change now that I am getting into track racing though. Going around in circles alone could proove to to be quite boring.

Would like Momoko to give me some putting lessons.
http://ameblo.jp/momoko-ueda/

On the bike?
Haven't had a chance to ride with them for a long time but there were 2 guys at night training who used to gang up on me in the sprints. Sometimes I could beat them fairly, sometimes I'd hide in the bushes after they escaped and scare them on a repeat lap coming from nowhere at a million miles an hour... :eek: Was great fun.

Really miss those nights. The current mob don't warm up properly and it's like a race from the start. Not very enjoyable anymore.

Goodness me! Now I know why you don't ride so much!

Mike Sly when he isn't having a melt down! :D

He's ultra competitive and knows how to suffer - we are about the ssame level as well so we push each other to the very limit.

James Machin (FE) when he isn't telling me his CPT30 is 407W!!! Blimey...no wonder I had a melt down:confused:

My perfect training partner would be the dragon which one can never catch.

James Machin (FE) when he isn't telling me his CPT30 is 407W!!! Blimey...no wonder I had a melt down:confused:

409w Mikey, 409! (normalised power)

Keren M,
He's great triathlete and motivator for this sports. I learn so many things from him every time we train together. :eek:

Keren M,
He's great triathlete and motivator for this sports. I learn so many things from him every time we train together. :eek:

Kimm, you are making me :eek:. But how can I be a great training partner when you are always up the road from me and riding further away?:bike: You have improved a lot!

Being more serious, I like the freedom of riding solo, plus I find it more relaxing/meditative. As for the local group rides, my still poor Japanese skills (yes, it`s getting embarrassing now :eek:) make me feel it`s slightly unfair if I impose myself on them (though I`m sure they don`t mind) but basically, they start so early and I prefer afternoon/evening for riding and given the above, the powertap keeps me honest.

My former training partner was stronger on that flats (being the same height as me but 10-15kg heavier) but slower on the climbs. That was a nice combination. Probably it is better to train with someone who is a little bit better than you.

Back
Top Bottom