What's new

which tubes?

simon

Speeding Up
Jul 19, 2006
Just wondering what tubes you guys use?
I haven't had to buy many, but when I did, there didn't seem many choices at that particular shop.
Anyway, I guess smaller and lighter are optional?...

inner tubes?

Am on panaracer r-air at the moment. Don't seem to bad and are pretty light (65g) . No complaints so far.

http://www.panaracer.com/new/lineup/tube/tube_ro.html

Changed over my tyres last night and nipped one of the tubes. The local shop only had some maxxis ultralight tubes (60g) in so thought i would give them a go. No idea whether I had a guage misreading or not, but I got to 120psi and the thing exploded. Don't think I'll use these Maxxis tubes again.

http://www.cycle-yoshida.com/inter_tech/maxxis/tube/ulight_tube_page.htm

Though, in fairness I should note that I rarely read the instructions for things - couldn't find any psi info on the packaging though afterwards.

Michelin

I've settled on the heavy-duty Michelin inner tubes, the ones that come in those yellow & blue cartons. The Michelin latex tubes are also fantastic on longer rides but tend to deflate rather quickly. Panaracer r-air tubes are way too delicate and the Maxxis ones are suicidal (so are their featherlight hillclimb tyres) :eek:. Stay away from Maxxis !!

Contis

I am indebted to Thomas who has now turned me on to Conti tubes. I had been using the aforementioned Panaracer jobbies and sometimes Vittoria at just 55g a throw.

I have had a bad rash of punks culminating in three on a recent Arakawa outing with Thomas in January.

Since then, I have changed to Contis, and I have never ridden outside again. The change has really been fantastic and I can thoroughly recommend Contis and staying at home instead.

chazzer

Since then, I have changed to Contis, and I have never ridden outside again. The change has really been fantastic and I can thoroughly recommend Contis and staying at home instead.

:D Bet that cuts down on tire wear, too--very economical.

Back
Top Bottom