What's new

Which trigger drive you change your tires?

massa

Warming-Up
Feb 22, 2008
I am sure we have to be careful to know when we should change tires which are one of the most essential part to sustain our lives. But it is fairly difficult for me to decide when. Do you guys have any ideas to tell me when? :confused:

Massa

For me:

1) If there is a hole right through caused by something sharp.
2) When the first layer of rubber has worn away and patches of the second layer are starting to show.
3) If there is a cut that shows the second or 3rd layer of rubber.
4) When I'm rich.

So far, I've changed tires from 1 to 3 but not yet 4.

Everything that Edogawakikkoman said. Of course, I haven't been able to switch tires due to reason #4 either!

Tires will also start to degrade over time even if you've been lucky enough not to get a deep gash in the tread or worn down the rubber. Mainly I'm speaking of the side wall, which can become brittle due to weather conditions and start to crack. If you pump up the tire to its MAX pressure and see any kind of bulge or deformation around the cracking area, or the area surrounding a hole/cut for that matter, then its time to replace. The last thing you want is a blow out when you're descending a windy road!:eek:

A set of rim strips can extend the life of your tires by allowing you to ride with a few holes (especially if the tires are brand new otherwise), but this gets into an area of personal comfort. A small hole is not necessarily a problem unless the innertube is pushing its way through and causing flats. If you feel comfortable riding a few extra hundred kilometers on a tire with a hole or two (with or without rim strips) then go for it.

As a student I used to ride tires until they were nearly thread bear, not so much because it was a wise decision, but because I didn't have the cash to buy new tires every month! If I remember correctly my personal record for innertube patches was 8 on one tube!

One little trick for holed tires..... superglue! Pump the tire to max and then a few drops of super glue into the gap and let it dry. Stops the tire from splitting further a long the cut or hole and protects the surface as you ride over grit as the wall of the tire is now thesame height.

Also if you find fibres along the tire wall are coming away take a lighter to them to burn the strands back and melt the ends.

What about countless slits on the 1st layer of rubber, can we continue to use until the 3rd layer appears?

Are they really that expensive?

Personally I view this the same as a car tire. If there are visable signs of wear then the integrity of the tire could be compermised. This puts you and others at risk. To this end it's a no brainer, new tires cost less then a hospital vist or lost time due to injury.

Personally I view this the same as a car tire. If there are visable signs of wear then the integrity of the tire could be compermised. This puts you and others at risk. To this end it's a no brainer, new tires cost less then a hospital vist or lost time due to injury.

Car tires concerned, recently four of them were renewed according to the same phenomenon.
Your view is really persuasive.

I've replaced tires twice:
Once when they looked like this with the threads showing before I ventured out on a 10 day tour in rural Tohoku

IMGP3225.jpg

http://bp1.blogger.com/_AFeHQfeSrk4/SH_m8XdbQrI/AAAAAAAAAaE/OZmiAiuC3XE/s1600-h/IMGP3225.jpg

And second when one of the new tires got a puncture in the same place twice.
First was on the 10 day tour and the hole in the tire seemed very small and I didn't want to replace a tire that had only 1000km on it. But then when cycling in Nikko a few months later, I got grit or something in the same little hole and got another flat as a result. As I settled down to fix it, it started to rain. :mad: I decided buying a new tire was worth it.

So, I guess gauging what the inconvience of a flat tire/ruined tire is plays a big part of it to me.

Back
Top Bottom