What's new

Which Tokyo River Trail?

Forsbrook

Maximum Pace
Feb 13, 2008
First of all,hello to everyone.
I've been lurking for a while.
I'm not a speedster,in fact I'm more of a clyde who plods along.That's why it took me a long time to take the plunge and sign up.
I live in Tokyo and do most of my riding along the Edogawa,which leads to my question:Which of the Tokyo rivers do you prefer riding along?
I get the impression that the Arakawa is the most popular and was wondering why.
I've gone up and down it several times but the excessive gates and cycle paths that suddenly end really annoy me.
Is it better to use the east or west side to get to Chichibu?
Like I said,I use the Edogawa a lot.Usually,I go up to Sekiyado and then sometimes I use the Tonegawa.For me,it is much smoother and safer than the Arakawa.I've never cycled along the Tamagawa but would love to one day.
Thanks for reading,and I hope you all have a great 2008 riding season.

Horses for courses...

Tamagawa - nearest to my house, narrow in places, rather crowded at weekends but good views and provides the entry point to the mountains to the west of Tokyo. Not that many gates to negotiate.

Edogawa - least crowded, peaceful, not too many gates, farthest from my house but use it as the gateway to Ibaraki-ken. Some good onsen places if you know where to look

Arakawa - wide, fast, not too crowded but needs a good navigator (Travis - you da man !) and seems to have the most headwind in my (limited) experience

Charles

While on the topic, I have a very basic question from a newbie. Are there any particular train stations that people would recommend as good departure points for rides along the main Tokyo rivers? Haven't yet ridden any of them, but am thinking I should give them a go and don't want to choose a bad start point. In case the answer depends on where you're living, I'm in Minato-ku. Thanks, Ben

Edogawa

From South to North

Myouden (Tozai line).
Shibamata (Keisai Kanamachi Line) is that right Torasan?
Matsudo (Joban line)
Misato (Musashino line)
Kawama (Tobu Noda line)

Welcome to TCC!

You mentioned riding the Tone River. It is further out from Tokyo, but once you pass downriver of Kashiwa, it is one long, empty path almost to Choshi on the coast (but you have to know when to cross the river to stay on a paved trail).

ToneRiverTrail.jpg

The path can be a bit narrow, but it's usually deserted and only interrupted by the bridges. Headwinds can be punishing, but the tailwinds will make you fly. It's where I come to practice (fantasize about) time trialling.

We recently went from Abiko to Narita on the Chiba side and it was cycling path all the way... I plan on riding all the way to Choushi soon....would like to hve some idea of which bridges to cross...

Maps of the main rivers in Chiba

Edogawakikoman,I've cycled that route down to Choshi and enjoyed it very much.
I used this site:
http://www.joy.hi-ho.ne.jp/joytrip/Main/selectM.html

It is very informative and lets you know which bridges to cross,danger points,etc.
I haven't ridden all the courses on there yet,but I intend to this year.

I hope someone can post a similar map of the Arakawa River!!!

Arakawa...

Hello Forsbrook,
Here's the map I made for our "Shirokuma-pan" ride.
It starts from "Iwabuchi-Suimon" - A big water-gate just east of Akabane.
http://www.mapmyrun.com/run/japan/tokyo/399382713

You'll need to select "metric km", and zoom in a bit. But the first place to cross the river is at the 14km mark. And the next at 25km.
There are a few places that are a little "squiggly", and it might be best to go with a friend (someone who knows the road) the first time. Failing that though, on any given day, you won't have to wait longer than 5-10 minutes for another cyclist to come by. There's a 90% chance that they'll be taking the cycling-road up further. Just follow the guy in front... Might be a real adventure!
Hope this helps.
Travis

Many thanks,Travis

Travis,thanks for the map.
I'll try it out ASAP.
Like you said,there are plenty of other cyclists,so I'll just tag along if I get lost.

We recently went from Abiko to Narita on the Chiba side and it was cycling path all the way... I plan on riding all the way to Choushi soon....would like to hve some idea of which bridges to cross...

That map Forsbrook posted jives with my experiences. Basically, the path is spotty on the Chiba side between Sawara and Sakae, but is complete on the Ibaraki side (at least, as far as I've ridden it). Both seem to peter out about 8 km or so from the coast, and then you have to cut onto the roads to get to the mouth of the river.

Phil...

nice picture of the Tonegawa.
I agree,the Tone cycle course disappears about 8km from the coast.
However,it's a very peaceful course(not so many dogs off their leads).
I'll be doing it again whwn it gets a tad warmer.

The Edo Rules!

I've now done countless miles up and down the Edogawa and Arakawa, and I can now say with a conviction that the Edo is way,way,way better!

First off:it's less crowded;there are less gates;it's smoother;more picturesque;it doesn't have that anal 20KM/H limit that the Ara does.

The astonishing thing is that I've barely seen a gaijin cycling it in the last 10 years

Sorry Kikkoman Pete,we've probably been on opposite sides of the river!

I've now done countless miles up and down the Edogawa and Arakawa, and I can now say with a conviction that the Edo is way,way,way better!

First off:it's less crowded;there are less gates;it's smoother;more picturesque;it doesn't have that anal 20KM/H limit that the Ara does.

The astonishing thing is that I've barely seen a gaijin cycling it in the last 10 years

Sorry Kikkoman Pete,we've probably been on opposite sides of the river!

I sometimes see them coming from the opposite direction...next time you head up or down let me know and I'll try and hook up.

I live about 80m away from it...

After riding to Tokyo Bay from Matsudo on the Tokyo side for 5 or 6 years I recently have been trying the other side. (twice). It's like I've discovered another river all together... From Matsudo to Sekiyado I ride on either side depending on how I feel... May even try and go to Sekiyado tomorrow from 4pm... (Only 40km round trip from home).

On Saturday I'd like to head up to Watarase... (Turn left at the end of the Edo and head up the Tone... I've been meaning to go there for years. It's supposed to be really nice. http://www.panoramio.com/photo/10739407

The Watarase

I took my tent and pottered around the Edo/Tone/Watarase rivers during Goldenweek.

I had a great time and like you said,it was really nice along the Watarase.

I went up to Sekiyado on Wednesday in the rain,I barely saw another soul.I guess it'll be different tomorrow if the sun shines and with this cycling boom in full swing!

I hope the weather stays nice for you tomorrow.

One of my favourite occasional rides takes in the whole of Edogawa and proceeds all the way to Utsunomiya, almost entirely on cycle paths.

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Half-Fast-Ride-Tokyo-to-Utsunomiya

Just FYI

@Edo - are they anywhere close to finishing the earthworks on the levees?

--Mike--

All finished...and where they were doing it the paths are big enough to put a pair of buses on...lots of room...

They may start work at any spot on the river at any time though... usually there is not much rain from now until the end of March so they do all kinds of river repairs... typhoon season is near an end...snow is a minor problem near here...all clear till rainy season starts again... The last bridge before Sekiyado is probably the next disruption... I think they are building the cycling path under the road there now....(to the left heading from Tokyo).

Back
Top Bottom