What's new

Which bike to buy

doubletrouble

Speeding Up
Jan 14, 2008
Hey guys,

I am thinking about buying a new bicycle. My old Giant Defy 3 has been good for me to get into road cycling but it was second hand anyway and I'd like something new that would last a good while.

I have been looking in the shops and online and the following bikes would seem ideal. I'm just having problems deciding which would be the best.

Pinarello FP1 2011 Road Bike (¥135616 on evans.com)
GT GTR Series 3 2010 Road Bike (¥67807)
Cannondale CAAD 8 Sora Triple 2010 Road Bike (¥62157)

Has anyone here ever ridden any of these or have any other recommendations?

The Pinarello certainly is the better spec bike and it is definitly the best looking but is the most expensive. I could just about afford this but if the GT or the Cannodale are as good in terms of quality and longevity then they are equally valid options. I would use the bike for weekend runs and possibly commuting.

Any help would be appreciated.

A lot of people are looking for advice on what bike to get. There almost needs to be a separate category for it. When I was getting started out, I didn't know whether to go for a road bike or a hybrid, and am happy I went for a road bike. I love it.

I am not an expert, but the Defy 3 seems to be an alright entry level bike. It lists for ¥84,000 and you are looking to ''upgrade'' to possibly a lower spec'ed bike? I don't get it. What are your trying to accomplish?

If this is your second road bike, I would guess you would want to save and get something with Shimano 105 or Campy Veloce. If it is more for commuting, you might want a Cannondale Bad Boy which isn't a road bike. If it is for long distance rides on weekends, you might want a Bianchi Via Nirone 7 or something along those lines.

I have never ridden a Pinerello, but they look pretty flash. Hope this helps.

I am not an expert, but the Defy 3 seems to be an alright entry level bike. It lists for ¥84,000 and you are looking to ''upgrade'' to possibly a lower spec'ed bike? I don't get it. What are your trying to accomplish?

+1 None of the bikes listed would yield you a better bike (despite my love of CAAD`s, though Cannondale don`t allow overseas shipping of their bikes) compared to spending the money on upgrading what you have - I`ve never read a bad comment about the Defy`s frame. For instance, new groupset, wheels would make a far better use of money than starting again from scratch with an entry level bike. For instance, 105 groupset and RS80 wheels would set you back about 80,000 Yen (from Merlin cycles) and give you a far bigger bang for buck. Switching to a full carbon fork is also another option.

PS: If your name is a reference to the great SRV then :thumb:

I gotta agree with Sikochi here. Bear in mind, there is really not going to be alot of difference in Alu framesets until you really step up the ladder. So, if the D3 fits, I'd stick with it. Its a solid performer. The Tektro brakes are on par with the 105's. The only thing that really lacks on this bad boy is a decent set of wheels and perhaps a cockpit upgrade.

As Sikochi said - jumping into a <real> 105 group + nice wheels will be the biggest leap this bike (and you will make) compared to anything in the price range you are seeking.

BTW - I can match Merlin on 5700 group price and in Japan. As for the RS80's C50 , at 699 quid + shipping, I can match these in a full carbon 50mm set that is better quality and nearly 100 quid less!

Yeah, spend the money on upgrades. No point buying a new bike with a frame of the same quality.

As you are used to the Defy 3, you will be able to feel instantly what the upgrades are doing for you, as opposed to a new bike of the same basic-ish quality, where you will always be thinking, "is this really better than my Defy 3?"

Agreed...in fact the Defy3 is exactly the same frame as other Giants that ask for a higher price.

Drop the cash on wheels and a 105 groupo then REALLY save for a roadbike.

that's a cold shot

When you say "old" I'm just wondering what your definition is... As everyone pointed out, the giant frame you have is probably good enough with upgrades having the most notable effects on performance.

However, it's difficult to resist buying a whole new steed, I can understand.
Can you possibly change price ranges?

Thanks

I'm not the expert on bikes hence the reason I was asking for advice, not giving it.:eek:

The frame on the Defy is reasonable so myabe upgrades are the way to go as I cannot afford something higher level at least at the time being.

I'M on my 2nd Trek and love it. I still feel my older Trek was faster but it may just mean I haven't had the success on my new one yet that I had on my old one. Great memories from my Trek 5500.

My next bike???
I'd consider a trek again. I used to hate Specialized but looks like they are superior to most brands atm. Pinarello also, ( I used to dislike them ) but they make beautiful frames now as well. Same with Cannondale!!! Love my SCOTT MTB and a friend of mine has a beautiful SCOTT road bike. :eek::eek::eek:
Another friend has all of those bikes!!! :(
De Rosa go hot and cold...

Expensive sport! It's hard to go wrong these days. Most brands have lifted their game. The competition is really pushing the technology.

Whatever you decide on there will be better value and prices just around the corner.

I haven't been enticed by any of the BMC bikes but they seem to be improving.

I was looking around the Y's mega stores today -- the Defy 3 is a solid bike. You just don't touch it until you make a fairly big jump into either the CAAD 8+ or entry Carbons in my opinion. The only thing its lacking is a decent group. Going from the Sora or whatever the shop stuck on there to beat up the margin, to a 105 and putting some better wheels on is really key. If you've got an older Defy with the cromo fork, then toss that puppy away and refit with a carbon fork. You'll swear you've jumped on a completely new rig.

Today I did a quick AB test on my generic carbon vs Trek Madone. Setup the bikes so the geometry was as close as possible. Very interesting. The Madone was slightly stiffer in the front-end, but about the same in the rear and throughout. But there was much less difference than I thought I'd feel given the cost difference. Which really goes to show that there is a high degree of 'levelling' in the framesets these days. The major difference between the rides today was the Madone had Dura-ace / Ultegra and I fitted my bike with 105 / Microshift. The Dura-Ace was noticably crisper. Although the DA crankset alone costs more than the whole 105 /MS group in its entirety. Going from Sora to 105 is an incredible difference - you feel like you are finally riding a bike!

The difference is though TREK paid for the R&D so that smaller OEM's could manufacture for the costs you're paying.

Also you asked me about the ONDA fork on the Pinarello's if they make the bikeg go faster..... its not for speed its for shock absorbsion and stiffness.

Massive difference in feel and stiffness between the FP3 and the Prince though especailly the BB.

Back
Top Bottom