What's new

Help Which Bag are OK for transportation in Train(JP)

Niti Supakiratiroj

Warming-Up
Dec 2, 2015
Hello everybody , My name NITI (nickname : Ti) , From Thailand

I will go to Japan on October'2016 for Onomichi (Shimanami kaido).

I have some question about Bag for transport with train from Osaka to Onomichi.

I have 3 choice about bag and I want to know which one is good.

Dopelganger_zpsfzkphpji.jpg

Tioga_zpscfdqbajn.jpg

Type%20II_zps16fkbaob.jpg

Thank you for your answer.

They will all do the job.
The first one is waterproof, which is unnecessary, and is also heavier than the others.
The third one is the lightest, but requires you to take off both wheels.
The second one is in the middle with weight, but you can take off just the front wheel, which is a simpler process (or both if you want to make a smaller package).

Price is cheap for those. So these are the bags you are all using to jump on the local trains to get you to meeting spots if it is difficult to ride to? Out of curiosity how often do you use your bags say a month? Or year? I guess because it is so cheap doesn't really matter.

Meeting spots or anywhere that looks interesting to ride around and isn't within riding distance. I probably used mine 10 times this year, but I was injured the first half of the year.

@TokyoLiving Quite a few people on here use an upmarket version that is more expensive but packs down to about half the size of these cheaper bags.

Last edited:
IMG_2163.JPG

Not a good photo, but I'm using the 2nd one, Tioga.
No complaints with it thusfar (have used it about twelve times).
It folds up neatly and can be stored in your bottle cage or under your seat.

Last edited:
With @GrantT on this. Love my Fairmean and I suspect I'm one of the highest users of a Bike Bag in the club. I love being in the mountains but don't often have the beans to make it round 160km with climbing, so prefer to train out and back. Strava suggests I average around 10 train journeys a month with my bike, between April and November if I don't have any business abroad.
I did have a black version of the Tioga but the zip broke on it after 9 months and I bought the Fairmean which has since lasted me for two years. Needs to go in for a little repair soon as the holes under the fork are starting to get a little bigger than the front dropouts

Upmarket version too expensive for my blood.

Do both the Tioga and Doppleganger pack down to fit in bottle cage or seat? Looks like Tioga does, how about the doppleganger?

Never mind I see the doppleganger does not pack down. I went with number 2 Tioga too.

Last edited:
They both will, and the doppleganger design (two wheels off) uses less material and packs down smaller.
I use the Tioga and wrap it round my stem, secured with some electrical tape.

They both will, and the doppleganger design (two wheels off) uses less material and packs down smaller.
I use the Tioga and wrap it round my stem, secured with some electrical tape.
Wait so better to get the doppleganger? Packing smaller is better. And I see the doppleganger has a few more options, one wheel or off or both. Which do you suggest? I like smaller packing and options.

And the price dropped on it.

Amazon product ASIN B00NWAVCWK

Last edited:
Meeting spots or anywhere that looks interesting to ride around and isn't within riding distance. I probably used mine 10 times this year, but I was injured the first half of the year.

@TokyoLiving Quite a few people on here use an upmarket version that is more expensive but packs down to about half the size of these cheaper bags.
By the way, if one were to get the upmarket version bag, what's he difference between the three of them on the site? They all look to have the same specs. Also, what size did you get? I have a 54 cm frame.

Just three different colours now. All the same style. On the Fairmean site it says -
サイズ:S (45-55cm) M (56-60cm) L (58-64cm) のロードバイク、または

You may want to drop him a message though to check the exact size of your bike - he's a really nice guy. I gave him my bike manufacturer and size and he checked which bag would fit me

I also find that it's not the size that counts... (well it is too but...). It's how easy the bag is to use. The great thing about the fairmean bag is it's pretty quick to get on and off with no fiddling with extra straps or bags. It's all one piece. My mate has a bag that he spends half the morning putting on and off and packing. He doesn't like to use it very often and prefers to cycle if he can. It limits him. Free yourself with a decent (doesn't have to be the best) bag. Not taking the rear wheel off (while simple in itself) is a huge time/faff saver also. So I'd personally go for a rear wheel on solution.

I also find that it's not the size that counts... (well it is too but...). It's how easy the bag is to use.

Exactly. The last thing you want to be doing after going hard in the mountains is trying to figure out how to put on a bike bag with Kimono levels of complexity to the procedure.

The great thing about the fairmean bag is it's pretty quick to get on and off with no fiddling with extra straps or bags.

You absolutely have to be taking the piss. Fairmean are the most ridiculous bags in the world to put on.

Fairmean are the best bags out there. Everyone I know loves them and is able to bag up in between 2 and 5 minutes (apart from one person who just can't work out how to use his bag.... Wonder if you can guess who that is ? ;) ).

The best out there, if you enjoy scratching the ends of your fork dropouts and the ends of your crank arms on the floor, while you get the bag on, then having the front wheel scratch your frame up as it is held in position against the frame inside the bag, sure.

They are well stitched together and the material is pretty nice, but they are way over complicated, and the procedure to put them on requires the bike to rest on scratch sensitive points on the floor.

Back
Top Bottom