Where's Travis?

Sep 2, 2009
Travis is fine. Don't worry. He will be back soon, and is going to make you all wish you had never been born.

WhiteGiant

Maximum Pace
Nov 4, 2006
Kita-Ueno
Still alive!

Yes, it does seem like I've been away for a while.
Finally getting back into the swing of things, and I'm actually thinking of a long flat river ride as kind of a "back in the saddle" kind of thing.
>Forsbrook: I've now moved closer to town, in Taito-ku.
He swapped bicycles with computers, and the TCC forum with Facebook. :D
Ouch, Thomas! That's harsh... but I probably deserved it.

Anyway, will post the ride plan shortly.
Travis

WhiteGiant

Maximum Pace
Nov 4, 2006
Kita-Ueno
Full Explanation

Hey guys & girls,
I suppose a bit of explanation is required as to my (sudden) disappearance. Well maybe not, but I feel the need to explain anyway, and get some sh!t off my chest.

My woes all started back in February last year, when I had an accident, resulting in a broken elbow. All broken bones suck, but they are an order of magnitude worse when they stop one from riding his/her bike!

Not only that, the accident left my bike (the fabled, gun-metal-gray "Giant" with "Yellow" bits on it) basically un-ride-able , and I wanted to get a replacement bike as soon as possible. On a limited budget, before the insurance money came through, for someone unaccustomed to buying bikes or upgrading parts on a regular basis, this was not as straightforward as it seems. In short, I went the budget route, and paid the price!

Initially, I sought out an on-line OEM trader in China - I have actually heard quite good reviews about some of them. But unfortunately, due to the popularity of the model I had requested (a Kuota copy, that I've always lusted after), the sale fell through. That's when I received another "offer" from an acquaintance.

Let me just stop here, and remind all of you that, "When something seems too good to be true, it usually is!"

The problem here is "me" - You see, I am INCREDIBLY fussy / picky / choosy, when it comes to the bike I will ride. I'm sure most of you will agree, "If it's not the one you want, then it may as well be a toilet seat!" And this is where things went horribly wrong... After my disappointment with the "Kuota" - albeit a copy - I was offered a "Dedacciai Scuro RS". Now, at the time, I didn't know exactly what a "Scuro RS" was, and there was NO WAY I was going to agree to buying one until I knew what it looked like. I spent two days scouring the internet for any photos I could find of the "Scuro RS", until I finally decided, "Yes! I think I like the look of that. I think I would be happy to ride that bike!"

For the few weeks before it arrived, I was on cloud-nine... "I'm getting a Scuro! I'm getting a Scuro! Yippee!!!" After the frame had arrived, my "acquaintance" sent me some photos - And already, the alarm-bells were ringing - "That's not a Scuro!" But I had a race coming up - The Toyko-Itoigawa long ride, that I had signed up for before the accident - and I needed a bike right away... so, I said nothing. I feigned delight at my new purchase, in the hopes that, "One day, I might grow to like it"... But this was not to be.

After the Tokyo-Itoigawa ride, I did a few more TCC rides on "the frame", and each time, I became less and less enamored with it, to the point where it was now an embarrassment. I dreaded the question from fellow riders, "What is it?" - The closest thing it resembles is a "Stradalli" model, as seen on ebay - But the only answer I could give, in all honesty was, "It's a generic ... something".

I had a bike, for which I had paid a not insignificant sum of money, that I was literally "TOO EMBARRASSED TO BE SEEN WITH".

The moral of the story here is about being happy with the equipment you're riding on. If you're not happy with your machine, you won't be happy riding, and like me, you may end up not even riding at all. If you skimped and bought 'Tiagra', the next time you're climbing a hill and thinking, "I know I'd be going faster if only I had bought 'Ultegra'", that's going to be a mental stumbling block every time. You owe it to yourself to get the best you can afford, until you're truly happy with your equipment.

And that, people, is the reason for my prolonged absence. In that time, I ballooned to a massive 78kg (my last best race-weight was 66kg, for the Toyo Tyres Turnpike race last year), and I had all but stopped going on group rides. 78kg is the most I've ever weighed, but thankfully, I'm glad to say that I'm now down to 74kg.

On an even happier note, however, the reason for my sudden return is that, I have sold "the frame"!!! YIPPEE! And in its place, I have finally done the right thing, stopped being a cheap-arse, and gone and bought me a proper bike... A bike that I will be proud of... A bike that will take me up the mountains faster than ever before... A bike that will restore my self-esteem, and return the sense of manhood that was taken from me by "the frame".
I have gone and bought... a GIANT!

That's right folks, my user-name and avatar are partially redeemed (unfortunately, it's not yellow).

My former bike (the original "Giant" with "Yellow" bits) has also been given a new lease of life with a new fork, new wheels and bullhorn-handles. It's now my dedicated commuter-bike, and it gets all the love and attention it deserves.

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Ffarm8.staticflickr.com%2F7247%2F7595212122_48dd49c63a_c.jpg&hash=f3db76355f202d9c0f9f8dc87c3b9997

Yep! Things are looking up, and I'm looking forward to getting in on a lot more group rides. I won't be very fast at first, and I may even slow you down. But that won't last for long, as I get back in shape, and become even stronger & faster than I was before.
See you all out on the road sometime soon!
Travis

Oct 15, 2010
...I have finally done the right thing, stopped being a cheap-arse, and gone and bought me a proper bike... A bike that I will be proud of... A bike that will take me up the mountains faster than ever before... A bike that will restore my self-esteem, and return the sense of manhood that was taken from me by "the frame".
I have gone and bought... a GIANT!
Glad to hear your are back Travis. A lot can be learned from your experience and attitude. How about a pic or a link to your new ride as well. I am sure I am not the only one who wants to see it. You going to wait and unveil it at the next group ride instead?

WhiteGiant

Maximum Pace
Nov 4, 2006
Kita-Ueno
No actual pics yet...

Glad to hear your are back Travis. A lot can be learned from your experience and attitude. How about a pic or a link to your new ride as well. I am sure I am not the only one who wants to see it. You going to wait and unveil it at the next group ride instead?
... But it will look like this!

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fgoing-cycles.com%2Fproduct_images%2Fz%2F398%2FGiant_TCR_Advanced_2011_Frameset__13916_zoom.jpg&hash=a01963e697abe5d5ac440fe5c57d10ea

The frame should arrive at the shop some time this week, and it may or may not be ready for Saturday.

WhiteGiant

Maximum Pace
Nov 4, 2006
Kita-Ueno
I know, right!

maybe it's just me, but i don't think "white giant" is a good name for a caucasoid living in japan...
But I did actually think about it. I even went as far as changing my avatar, just to see how it would look...:D

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Ffarm9.staticflickr.com%2F8019%2F7597345032_73f3782e25.jpg&hash=ccb8d641f2e7855eed1bc71701f1f9a2

Having done all that, however, my wife said it reminded her of a funeral ("white", in Japan).
And the slight gray may indeed be cadaver-ish.