What's new

Where to Train in Tokyo? I'm Coming for Work!

TheBigRing

Warming-Up
Jun 14, 2007
Hello,

I'm a New Zealander living in London who has just been informed that I am to be sent to Tokyo this weekend for 4 weeks for work. I'm really looking forward to coming but I have one concern!

I am riding in L'Etape du Tour on July 16. For those that don't know, this is a cyclosportive that covers a mountain stage of the Tour de France. It's 196kms long, over 5 Pyrenean Cols with about 4,800m of climbing.

My training has been going well but I am concerned that with 5 weeks to go to the race, being in Tokyo for this long could hinder my training. I know I am able to get a train out of the city at the weekend to go riding, but what about weekdays? Can someone please tell me where I could go to train? Alternatively, can someone recommend a good gym where I could go as a casual user and train instead please? Also what would this cost?

Many thanks in advance!! :D

Hi Big Ring . . .

Big Ring just sounds the wrong thing to call someone ;) . . . anyway, weekday training in Tokyo:

5:00AM-7:00AM you can follow R246 from the center of Tokyo out. Rolling hills and at this time in the morning traffic is not heavy. However, like all roads in Tokyo you have traffic lights every kilometer. How many you hit depends on your luck that day. Alternatively, you can ride the 5KM loop around the Imperial Palace - a little dull.

If your company are sending you for 4 weeks I assume you will stay in a hotel which will undoubtedly have a gym or access to one nearby. In preference to a gym I would pack my trainer. If your a fan? Y's Bike Shop (Akasaka) offers spin sessions 3 times a week after office hours.

I am sure the race will be a great experience: Gambatte!

Cheers,

Philip

Tokyo Training

Always wanted to do the Etape du Tour, but never in the right place at the right time. Some of the weekend rides we do here have very serious climbs and would be great training for this event.

Some specific suggestions for weekdays:

Do spinning classes at Y's Cycle in Akasaka:bike:
http://jitensya.co.jp/group/shops/academy/mise_top.htm

Commute. Live as far away from work as possible and ride there.:bike3:

Rollers. Buy a set for about $150, use them in the evenings and give them away when you leave. Boring, but effective. Better yet, give them to me:rolleyes:
http://shop.yumetenpo.jp/goods/d/uemura-cycle.com/g/MINOURA_ACTION_ROLLER_ADVANCE/index.shtml
http://shop.yumetenpo.jp/goods/d/uemura-cycle.com/g/MINOURA_MAG_500LD/index.shtml

International roaming. Check with your fitness club at home. They may have international relationships that can get you into Tokyo clubs for a guest fee.:weight:

Circuit training around the Imperial Palace. Loop is a few kilometers. Extraordinarily boring after a few loops, but still gives your legs a workout if you push hard. Lots of pedestrians on the path and stoplights on the road, though. :bike2:

Hope to see you on a weeknd ride.

Aaron

Guys,

Thanks so much for the advice! I thoroughly appreciate it and both suggestions sound like what I am looking for.

The boredom of the Imperial Palace if it comes to that, won't be a new experience as my weekday rides here in London generally involve laps of Regents Park (4.5km) as I live right in the centre so have no choice!

I'm not going to pack my trainer as that's a little bit OTT, but I was considering buying some rollers out there if needs be. And Pucci, if I do, then I doubt I'll bring them back to the UK so yes, you can have them if you like!!

I'm likely to be put in an apartment rather than a hotel because I'm there for a long time hence my concern I won't have access to a gym. I'll def check out whether my gym has any reciprocal agreements in Tokyo though - good idea!

Pucci, these weekend rides you do, are they for club members only or can anyone join in? Can you give me anymore info? I might come along although I think I'm sorted for weekend rides as a friend of a friend who is also doing the Etape lives in Tokyo so I will meet him and he can take me out ..... hopefully!! He's not replied to any emails yet!!

Philip, the big ring is wrong, but on a cycling forum where blokes shave their legs, wear lycra and understand bike components I thought it was pretty safe ;):cool:

Thanks again
Paul

PS Trained on the Etape course a month ago and also spent a long weekend in the Alps riding Alp d'Huez and the Galibier, the Glandon and a few others. Got rained and snowed on in both locations!!! NOT FUN!!!! :(:eek:uch:

Anyone can come

The rides are open for all. This is a loose group of reasonably like-minded riders, not a full-blown members club like the UK CTC.

I've injured my back slightly, but back and weather permitting plan to ride in the Ashigara mountains on Sunday. You are more than welcome to come along.

https://tokyocycle.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=382

BTW, is your friend named Ben by any chance?

Hey Paul,

I kind of have to agree with Philip on this one... I didn't want to type in "BigRing" either.
Anyway, TCC already has one - His name is Christoph "cinelli". Everyone who's ever ridden with him has always thought, "Why don't you just take that small ring off? You never use it anyway!"
Also, all rides on this forum are open to anyone! The basic motto is, "the more the merrier".
Distances & climbing steepness/gradients and so forth, are usually posted beforehand, so people can choose to either go along, or sit it out.

As for mountain rides; we have lots.
Philip & Pucci are the best guys to ask in that respect.
Between them, they could both show you nearly every road in western Tokyo & then some.
As for courses similar to the L'Etape du Tour, with about 5 climbs at about the same distance, it wouldn't be too hard for us all to come up with something.

How's this for a suggestion; Start at Hachioji, ride to Takao, climb Wada-toge ("toge" means mountain-pass), go down and then back up to Kobu-tunnel. Ride down from there to the usual Okutama-climb start; go up then down, and then do Nokogiri-yama from Rte.411 before heading back to Hachioji?
I'll look at the profile, and post it soon!
T

I just checked the above course, and it's 125km, with 3,250m of climbing.
Might be interesting for a "Hachioji-loop" tour:eek:

Hi Grant,

Thanks fortheinfo. I'll check it outwhen I get to Tokyo - just aboutto boardmy plane now!

Cheers

Always wanted to do the Etape du Tour, but never in the right place at the right time. Some of the weekend rides we do here have very serious climbs and would be great training for this event.

Some specific suggestions for weekdays:

Do spinning classes at Y's Cycle in Akasaka:bike:
http://jitensya.co.jp/group/shops/academy/mise_top.htm

Commute. Live as far away from work as possible and ride there.:bike3:

Rollers. Buy a set for about $150, use them in the evenings and give them away when you leave. Boring, but effective. Better yet, give them to me:rolleyes:
http://shop.yumetenpo.jp/goods/d/uemura-cycle.com/g/MINOURA_ACTION_ROLLER_ADVANCE/index.shtml
http://shop.yumetenpo.jp/goods/d/uemura-cycle.com/g/MINOURA_MAG_500LD/index.shtml

International roaming. Check with your fitness club at home. They may have international relationships that can get you into Tokyo clubs for a guest fee.:weight:

Circuit training around the Imperial Palace. Loop is a few kilometers. Extraordinarily boring after a few loops, but still gives your legs a workout if you push hard. Lots of pedestrians on the path and stoplights on the road, though. :bike2:

Hope to see you on a weeknd ride.

Aaron

Hi Aaron,

Where is this shop? The gym in the apartment is good, but the bikes are rubbish. The cheap Turbo looks like it'd do the job for the weekdays?! If only I could read the website!!! Is it within walking distance of Roppongi? I'm staying in the Ark Towers, behind the ANA Intercontinental Hotel so if it's close by, I'll just walk there and buy it.

Also, how far from my location are those spinning classes?

Cheers
Paul

Paul . . .

From the front of ANA hotel - turn right (assuming your back is to the hotel) and walk 2 minutes along the main road under the Expressway past Doutor Coffee Shop and 7-11 to the first set of lights. Across the road is Starbucks.

Cross the road to Starbucks. Take the road that passes on the left hand side of Starbucks. Walk up this road for 2 minutes on the right hand pavement past lots of small restaurants. There it is . . . the ground floor (1st floor) window is full of Cannondale bicycles. Do not be deceived. This shop has 6 floors that are not obvious from outside. Most staff speak some English! Managers name is Otsuka-san.

Cheers,

Philip

Paul . . .

Sorry Paul - Spinning classes are in the same store - ask staff for details

Cheers,

Philip

Oh brilliant! I know exactly where you mean!! I walk past it to get to work as I'm working in the Sanno Park Tower.

I wandered in there on Sunday as I saw the Cannondale sign so went in for a look. Didn't know there was more than one floor though.

Thanks again!!

Sanno Park Tower

That's where I work !

Are you with DBG ?

Charles

That's where I work !

Are you with DBG ?

Charles

Yup.

This is getting scarier and scarier! First someone works out the name of one of the guys I'm doing the Etape with and now someone else works out who I work for.

*mental note to lock the door to the apartment tonight* :D

Scarier still

.....thats who I work for too......you can look me up. I am Charles Underwood.

Cheers for now !

Does anyone know the schedule for the spin sessions at Y's

Hi

I'm hoping someone can help with this question.

I will be in Tokyo next week staying at the ANA and it looks like Y's is a 5 minute walk away. This is fantastic.

I tried finding them last year but couldn't understand the web site so didn't try hard enough.

Also, do you have to book and can you take your cycling shoes and pedals along or is it street shoes/runners only?

Thanks

Yohans

Hi there. Welcome to Tokyo.

It really depends on where you will be staying. I am assuming that you are bringing your bike. If you are somewhat west side of Tokyo, the Mt Fuji area is 100Km or less. You can avoid super heavy traffic if you choose the route right. When you get there, there are 5 little lakes and if you circle each one of them, the total distance will be 100Km. You can also ride up to the 5th station of Mt. Fuji. I believe it is about 1500m climb for 30 Km. So, with your performance, you can do a few round trips.

If you do not want to bother riding on a busy road, you can take a bus service to Mt. Fuji area from Shinjuku Station. It costs about 2000 yen each way. There are some lodges in one of the lakes called Yamanaka-ko. They charge 4000 yen per person for a 2 bedroom lodge with kitchen and everything. It gets not too busy in September and they probably let you stay even if you are alone. I would be very happy to give them a call and make a reservation for you.

For weekday training, unfortunately, there are only flat roads by rivers, Arakawa, and Tamagawa. If you ride Tamagawa for about 50Km, there will be some Hilly areas, called, Okutama, Tamba, Akigawa, etc. Some bike shops have bike maps. I will help you on it, too, if you would like.

Just do not tell me to climb up hills with you. I am too heavy. I prefer track races.

Hiro

Hiro

Y's Academy Spinning Schedule

According to this web page http://jitensya.co.jp/group/shops/academy/spining_top.htm
classes are held on Tuesday and Thursday evening at 7:00 pm. You are asked to reserve a spot in advance, either by calling (03-5545-1525) or visiting the shop. Can't tell for sure from the pics on the web page, but it looks as though the spinning machines may have pedals you can clip into (best to confirm when you reserve). Fee is 500 yen per session (first time free!) and a showerroom is available.

David

Went to Arakawa today, for the first time. I'm impressed, it's a really nice cycling course. Not a single car, I can sprint to full speed.

I'll be training there each morning now, I guess. It's much better than Kannana-dori where I trained before. Here's my bike. You may say hello if you see a gaijin keirin racer. :)

Hi Tadashi . . .

Beautiful bike. Is it a Bomber Pro from the guys in Saitama?

Good luck training the engine :D

Philip

Back
Top Bottom