What's new

Where to Train in Tokyo? I'm Coming for Work!

Beautiful bike. Is it a Bomber Pro from the guys in Saitama?

Good luck training the engine :D

Philip
Yes, it from Saitama. This one doesn't have a "Pro" part though, it was made in 1999, seems they weren't putting the "Pro" part back then. But it's not a Bomber "Amateur" either, it has an NJS stamp. The bike's in excellent condition, no rust, dents or whatever. I got lucky. I train on the road with clincher wheels (as on the picture), but I have tubular keirin wheels for the track.

Anyway, are keirin racers common at Arakawa? I saw one today.

I think, I'm gonna bring my track shoes and tighten straps next time, the place is safe. It's really great for track cycling in many ways, I'm really happy that I've found it. Thanks to this forum! :)

Tadashi . . .

I read somewhere that the guys who built your frame were trained in frame building by Tanabe-san from Kalavinka. They have an A1 reputation. Great purchase. There is a huge waiting list to buy new. The frames are hard to find and they trade for silly money on Ebay in the US and UK. So, a good investment too!

I think I remember Edokakikoman (who knows about these things) mentioning many Keirin riders train along Arakawa. I think he said you can see them training towing car tyres with a rope off the back of the bike in order to build strength :eek:uch:

Tadashi, you have obviously spent a lot of time around Keirin riders. What does a typical training week look like?

Cheers,

Philip

She's a real beauty, Tadashi! :)

Anyway, are keirin racers common at Arakawa? I saw one today. I think, I'm gonna bring my track shoes and tighten straps next time, the place is safe. It's really great for track cycling in many ways, I'm really happy that I've found it. Thanks to this forum!

I have seen two Keirin racers riding along Arakawa last week, so perhaps a not so uncommon sight there.

Training methods!

Hey Tadashi,
I've seen a lot of "keirin" riders on Arakawa - not all on the same day, but most of the time, what I see them doing is:
They tie an old car tyre (probably with bricks inside) to the back of their bikes and DRAG it along the ground behind them for extra resistance.
They never seem to be going very fast, but if they're dragging that much weight on a fixed-wheeled bike, they are probably building up a lot of extra muscle by doing that.
T

P.S. What Philip said - only just read the end of your last post!
Tyres, plus bricks, and maybe sand-bags as well.
If I have time tomorrow when I'm riding up to Urawa, I'll stop one of the guys and ask! Travis

Y's Spin Classes

I used to do the spin classes at Y's and you can bring your own shoes and pedals. But they do have some spare pedals in a box, but it would be a lucky dip to have the right cleats.

Y's is about 5 mins walk from the ANA. Look across the main road in front of the hotel and you will see a Starbucks on a corner. Get there and walk down the street to the left of Staba. Y's is at the end of the block. It is not just a Cannondale store, walk down the the back and there are stairs and an elevator. The spin class is on the 5th floor. It starts at 7pm and lasts for 50 mins, and it is 500 yen that you pay at the end. Best to get there about 6:50pm and bring the correct change. And the usual towel and drink bottle. Tuesdays and Thursdays are the nights.

You do need to book two weeks in advance as the classes are popular, but you might be lucky and get a slot on short notice. Or they can put you on a waiting list. If you do call them to book, ask for Yamada-san as she speaks English.

Hope this helps.

Keren

Hey Tadashi,
I've seen a lot of "keirin" riders on Arakawa - not all on the same day, but most of the time, what I see them doing is:
They tie an old car tyre (probably with bricks inside) to the back of their bikes and DRAG it along the ground behind them for extra resistance.
They never seem to be going very fast, but if they're dragging that much weight on a fixed-wheeled bike, they are probably building up a lot of extra muscle by doing that.
T

P.S. What Philip said - only just read the end of your last post!
Tyres, plus bricks, and maybe sand-bags as well.
If I have time tomorrow when I'm riding up to Urawa, I'll stop one of the guys and ask! Travis

Yes, dragging tyres and riding with bricks in your backpack is a common practice. I've done both, but usually riding with barbells in my backpack while climbing in high gear is enough. Skilled keirin racers actually pull a 10 kg tyre for 8km on the track for their training. Some even attach two tyres to their bike. You may try it someday, it's much more harder than it looks like.

I used to do the spin classes at Y's and you can bring your own shoes and pedals. But they do have some spare pedals in a box, but it would be a lucky dip to have the right cleats.

Y's is about 5 mins walk from the ANA. Look across the main road in front of the hotel and you will see a Starbucks on a corner. Get there and walk down the street to the left of Staba. Y's is at the end of the block. It is not just a Cannondale store, walk down the the back and there are stairs and an elevator. The spin class is on the 5th floor. It starts at 7pm and lasts for 50 mins, and it is 500 yen that you pay at the end. Best to get there about 6:50pm and bring the correct change. And the usual towel and drink bottle. Tuesdays and Thursdays are the nights.

You do need to book two weeks in advance as the classes are popular, but you might be lucky and get a slot on short notice. Or they can put you on a waiting list. If you do call them to book, ask for Yamada-san as she speaks English.

Hope this helps.

Keren

Pity about the 2 weeks in advance booking system.

I've arrived in Tokyo today and had the concierge at the ANA Hotel call to make a booking, unfortunately there are no vacancies at all this week. I've even dropped by the store myself without any luck. It is very convenient for me as I am visiting at the Sanno Park Towers office complex whilst staying at the ANA Intercontinental.

Thanks ALL very much for providing the information, I will use it next time if I get enough advance notice.

Yohans

Back
Top Bottom