What's new

Where to ride in Japan for 7 days?

In Motion Asia

Warming-Up
Jun 28, 2008
Can anyone recommend a great area to ride in Japan for 7 days, riding around 5 hours / 80-100km or so a day.

I've heard Hokkaido is really beautiful and a lot less traffic up there. I spent some time doing a web search and found some info but not a lot. If anyone can help, I'd really appreciate the info.

Thanks!

Hi!

I agree with Philip.
Plus, you should bring something to wrap your bike up or buy "rinkoh bukuro" which means bike bag to board your bike on trains with you. Generally it is regulated in almost of all part of train companies in Japan.:)

Any way, hope nice tour and enjoy!

Michel

depends when you want to come and what you most want to do? scenery, history, food. Probably lots of best places.

Thanks for the replies all,

Looking at riding for around 7- 8 days in total, 4-6 hours a day. Want to take in some of the best scenery on offer in Japan including a couple of good mountain stages. Most definitely want to keep out of the cities and away from the traffic as much as possible. Also really keen to stay at the cool hot spring resorts as much as possible and finish the trip in a good party town!

As for when, 1st half of next year sometime......whenever the best riding weather is for that location

Really appreciate any assistance.

Also, Alan - your trip of Hakkaido looks awesome, maybe that's the place to go..

Suggestion

Arrive Osaka (from Taiwan?)

Hit the road south along the coast, once you`re south of Wakayama you`re pretty much away from cities. There are isolated stretches of mountainous coastal roads not too challenging.

Great places to camp; Atashika beach looked like a nice spot. At Kii Ohshima - 紀伊大島)you can rent camping gear. Has sea kayaking as well.

At or just north of the Kumano River, turn inland for for the return to Osaka; I`ve not done that part, but you should enjoy some beautiful riding.

Can anyone recommend a great area to ride in Japan for 7 days, riding around 5 hours / 80-100km or so a day.

I've heard Hokkaido is really beautiful and a lot less traffic up there. I spent some time doing a web search and found some info but not a lot. If anyone can help, I'd really appreciate the info.

Thanks!

Please tell me that I'm wrong in thinking that inmotionasia.com is really just a tour company sussing out TCC for some info to design a tour that they are then going to sell to the unawares...?!?!

This from their site:
<begin quote>
Tour de Hokkaido

During the summer months, June to September, we offer a unique Tour de Hokkaido that takes you on a superb tour of the Northern Japanese Island. Hokkaido is a region of huge natural beauty and untamed wilderness. An extensive land that accounts for 22% of Japans total land mass, Hokkaido is home to only 5% of Japans population making it a superb destination that has huge untapped riding potential. With high quality uncrowded roads, soothing onsens to relax in at the end of the day, and an abundance of mouth watering local cuisine, Hokkaido is a superb holiday destination. With optional starts in either Tokyo or Sapporo this 7 stage tour includes:

Riding up to the highest road point in Hokkaido, Mt. Tokachidake at 1261m
Ride through the magnificent multicolored flower fields of Biei
Ride the brilliant 'Panorama Line' of Niseko
Ride through the lush horse stud region of Kacha
National Parks, volcanic mountains, lakes, wildlife and much, much more!
<end quote>

Sure, there are other companies out there doing hokkaido tours, but gosh, first post in this thread no signature, first person pronouns, then another post kind of without pronouns, but with a signature, then another along with what "we" did.

Maybe there'll be some inmotion ads for hokkaido tours popping up out there somewhere?

Mods: delete this post if you deem it unnecessary or out of bounds. Context may be making me jump to conclusions--I've just been browsing spiceroads and have seen the $$$$$-priced "tour" that they're offering for Noto.

jdd - sorry you find pictures of riding through beautiful Hokkaido so offensive....

Let's just be very clear here, all I posted was a link to some photos that some people may enjoy looking at....whereas jdd has gone into a big rant & rave about bike trips & posted information from another source. Sorry but I did not post that information.

They are just pictures....!

Please tell me that I'm wrong in thinking that inmotionasia.com is really just a tour company sussing out TCC for some info to design a tour that they are then going to sell to the unawares...?!?!

Mostly wrong :) Without the background I understand your conclusion.

In Motion Asia was severely reprimanded in an earlier post about marketing his services through TCC. However, he took the complaints seriously and re-posted without the spin.

As one of the first to complain previously I must now rise to In Motion's defense. Having asked for advice he is reporting back (without the spin). I was interested to see the photos and if In Motion's business benefits along the way good luck to him.

Philip

At least we are dealing with a human here and not some SPAMBOT.

In Motion Asia, had a look at the photos and it seems you guys had a great ride in Hokkaido, really liked the cutom risingsun jerseys but you might want to be careful regarding the Hari-Kiri ones ....people may take offense especailly in rural areas.

I maybe in Taiwan to do a few races that Giant organise so if you in the area lets meet up for a beer!

Mostly wrong :) Without the background I understand your conclusion.

In Motion Asia was severely reprimanded in an earlier post about marketing his services through TCC. However, he took the complaints seriously and re-posted without the spin.

As one of the first to complain previously I must now rise to In Motion's defense. Having asked for advice he is reporting back (without the spin). I was interested to see the photos and if In Motion's business benefits along the way good luck to him.

Philip

Fine, no problem then. I guess I missed something earlier. I tried to frame it as reasonably as I could--I guess I didn't please everyone.

Fine, no problem then. I guess I missed something earlier. I tried to frame it as reasonably as I could--I guess I didn't please everyone.

Very reasonably framed JDD :) I'm sure In Motion's response was in reaction to the previous thread.

Philip

Sure, always up for a beer :) I'm usually at a number of the National Road Cycling Series Races along with a number of the local tri's. The bigger races are generally well organized and cool local scene going on.

A good site to keep an eye on with English info on the local race scene if you're thinking of heading over is www.taiwanracing.com

Thanks

All ready know that site ;) I got invited over by Giant to attend the races back at the beginning of November but due to prior racing commitments wasn't able to attend. I will be there next year though.

Back
Top Bottom