What's new

Where to live? Help!

Mike

Maximum Pace
Sep 24, 2007
I may be moving to Tokyo from Kanagawa, with MAYBE being the operative word here. My options are on the Toyoko Line or the Shonan Shinjuku Line.

So with regards to cycling, I'm seeking advice on places like:

Tamagawa
Denechofu
Nakameguro

or

Ebisu.

I'd like to ride with Pete's group up the Green Line and also along the Tamagawa with others. Does the bike path start around Tamagawa station? Any suggestions much appreciated.

Mike

The Tamagawa is cyclable from it's mouth up to a few km from Ome.

My guess is at speed it would take about 1 hr 30 minutes to ride to the start point of Pete's rides from Denenchofu, and about 1 hour from Ebisu or Nagameguro. I ride there from near to Shimokitazawa station, north along Kannana Dori and it takes me around 50 minutes.

I also go riding/training fairly regularly (when I'm not injured like now) in the morning in the hills around Yomiuri Land, just across the Tamagawa. It would probably take about 30-35 minutes to reach the Tamagawa from Ebisu or Nakameguro.

Last edited:
If you want to join Petes rides easily, you need to live somewhere near Arakawa. As all his rides go out that way. It is a good cycling path and living near it will mean you can train and get to the mountains without dealing with much in the way of traffic lights.

Not really convenient from your stated locations.

I live in Yutenji, which is just next to Nakameguro.

The location has all access to major areas in tokyo - the Imperial Palace is very close for an early ride during weekday mornings - Arawaka or Tamagawa is also easily accessible which is only 16-20kms away which leads you to the mountains in the West (from Tamagawa). Bike shops of your choice are pretty plenty too.

really? No more big chilly meetups?

It depends really how you want to balance things, but if you really need to stay along those train lines, I would look for a place within the city proper. I live near futagotamagawa and its ok, but if you try to stay close Tamagawa river close to Kawasaki, you will be in the dregs and even further away from any good riding. Denenchofu has some shops, but its upper class boring.

I used to live in Kamikitazawa and used to cyce down to the Tamagawa river and then up it as far as I could go. Also brilliant fireworks on the river in the summer, Kawasaki helds theirs the same night...

Why don't you come to Fuchu? Lots of green and right on the Tamagawa (Koremasa or Sekido-bashi). Looking for a house or an apartment?

Why don't you come to Fuchu? Lots of green and right on the Tamagawa (Koremasa or Sekido-bashi). Looking for a house or an apartment?

Fuchu is nice but Chofu is better. Double the number of trains to central
Tokyo. 14 mins to Shinjuku. Tamagawa nearby and very quiet!

Agreed with TOM. I'm on the Kawasaki side of river, though. One nice thing of that is electricty and ward tax is about half that of Metro Tokyo! Pete's rides are burden, though , no easy way to the Arakawa.

What is with all the fireworks references?!? Does anybody really factor that in when choosing a place to live? fire risk?
Agreed with Chofu and Fuchu, upriver is definitely better with the Tamagawa. In terms of rent as well. Crowded trains though. Mizunoguchi or Noborito is not to bad for rinkoing alternatively to riding along the river.

Thanks for all the comments guys. I'll do more research before making any kind of decision. Much appreciated

Hey guys, sorry to start up an old thread. Thinking about musashi kosugi. Does anyone know how long it would take to ride from there to Wada or Takao? I'm guessing a while...how are the tamagawa paths from there ?

I used to live a bit up river from Musashikosugi. (Want to rent / buy a western style house? PM if so.)

The Tamagawa cycle path in this area is about the same as all the way up to the Tachikawa area. Mixed use, narrow, busy, and confusing at times. Once past Tachikawa, it widens up a bit but it's still mixed used and caution is advised. The path is usable all year.

It's about 40km up to Takao and Tamagawa for some magical reason always seems to provide a headwind for me. Options for transit by trains are also plentiful

Does anyone know how long it would take to ride from there to Wada or Takao

Wada Pass goes up Mount Jimba. This (link) is a route along Tamagawa then Asakawa river paths from near to Musashi-kosugi to the top of Wada Pass (same route linked in a post above). That's about 58 km in total. The river paths are all flat.

To Takao Station is about 44 km on basically the same river route, just turning off the river a bit later.

Thanks guys, tears started welling in my eyes as I'm so spoiled living close to the mountains now:(

Back
Top Bottom