What's new

Help Where to buy winter gear

Blue Star

Cruising
Dec 7, 2012
Hi guys,

Where can I buy good tights and jersy for winter. I currently have Sugoi top and Pearl Izumi bottom, both rated good for up to 10 degrees. That said I will ride some in Shizuoka this weekend so expect lower temperatures.

Looked in Ys international in Akasak and Shibuya but didnt find much. They have Peral Izumi tights rated good for -5 to 0 degrees but without a bib or heels. Top they had just one model good for 0 degrees.

Amazon US seems to stock some of the brands recommended here but wondering if they can be found here in Tokyo. If nothing then I can explore a pretty big sports store (dont recall the name) in Shizuoka.

Also struggled to get the shoes for my size in Ys international.

Any advice is much appreciated. I can visit the stores tomorrow or Friday if you can point me to anything local.

Thanks in advance.

Of no help to you if you looking to get something in the next couple of days, but I suspect that most of us shop online for winter stuff before it gets super cold, so we are ready for winter when it arrives...

dhb stuff from Wiggle is the best value - performance out there, and do a full winter range for significantly less than you will find anything in Japan, and due to being made in Europe will fit you.

Again, I realise that doesn't help you really, but for future reference, and all that.

Y's main clothing store is in Shinjuku. But I think if you're going cyclo-touring mainly, then just get a nice hardshell, neck/face muff and good baselayers. For really cold weather I double up my bibs shorts or wear leg warmers under my regular winter bibs. Keeping the wind off is the main thing. Also - you can get pretty decent gloves at Donki or other sports stores. The Oshman's in Shinjuku has alot of good stuff. Lastly, I saw some winter wear at the Cycley Used in Shinjuku - and also some old Belgian and Dutch Team Winter Jerseys at small select used shop next to Condomania in Harajuku. What size shoes? I have a couple sets of larger size Diadoras that someone ordered and didn't pick up.

And the Japanese miracle - Hot Kaido! These handy exothermic pads can really make life alot better.

Owen, thanks mate. The advice is useful for future for sure. Looked up wiggle and prices are far more attractive for sure.

I am looking for shoe size 7 or 8 (European) or 40/42. One the two usually fits me depending on the brand etc. the real issue is that I have a quite thin feet and hence the shoes (shimano) for example feel loose on the sides and toe top. Some extra room is fine but I haven't found a good match yet.
Got PD-M 985 shimano so need shows that will work with them.

For clothes I recon mostly L but may be M depending on the brand. If nothing I will go with additional layer top and bottom. There is a donkihote near my office in Akasaka, will check out for gloves tomorrow.

Appreciate your advice on this topic!

With those sized feet, you will have no problem finding shoes here to fit. You can find whatever brand shoe you want; my most recent shoes were a 'euro-fit' version, which the local shop were able to source with no problems at all, and very quickly. Comparative price is the main thing that may be an issue.

Any shoe that has SPD fittings on the bottom will work with those pedals, ie, loads and loads of shoes. You will be fine.

And the Japanese miracle - Hot Kairo! These handy exothermic pads can really make life a lot better.

There, I fixed it for you...! :D

*sigh of relief*

For those not in the know, kairo (懐炉 but usually seen in katakana カイロ) is nothing to do with Egypt, but rather is the Japanese for 'bosom furnace', a.k.a., hand-warmer/pocket-warmer pads.

Significantly for cyclists, they come in toe/foot versions. Various variations: whole sole; just under toes; just over toes; under and over toes; stick-on or non-sticky. I use the stick-on over-and-under toes type - buy them by the box.

つま先用 ホッカイロ

For those not in the know, kairo (懐炉 but usually seen in katakana カイロ) is nothing to do with Egypt, but rather is the Japanese for 'bosom furnace', a.k.a., hand-warmer/pocket-warmer pads.

For the chemically interested, their power source is oxidation of iron powder, basically super-fast rusting.

I also have a basically new set of Diadora 42's (narrow fit) Speedracer 2 Carbons that can be used with either SPD or SPD-SL. I can't wear them on long(er) rides as they are just a halfsize too small for me.

Oh yeah - I forgot about UniQlo! They have a good selection of basewear and variously, hardshells, windbreakers, socks, etc.

If you have time - then for sure getting stuff outside of Japan makes the most sense - except for the BicycleLine gear and perhaps some of the PearlIzumi. Oh, yeah, Takizawa has a big sale on Campy winter wear, too.

Owen, thanks mate. The advice is useful for future for sure. Looked up wiggle and prices are far more attractive for sure.

I am looking for shoe size 7 or 8 (European) or 40/42. One the two usually fits me depending on the brand etc. the real issue is that I have a quite thin feet and hence the shoes (shimano) for example feel loose on the sides and toe top. Some extra room is fine but I haven't found a good match yet.
Got PD-M 985 shimano so need shows that will work with them.

For clothes I recon mostly L but may be M depending on the brand. If nothing I will go with additional layer top and bottom. There is a donkihote near my office in Akasaka, will check out for gloves tomorrow.

Appreciate your advice on this topic!

Interesting. I might crack one open and watch the reaction. Does it go all orange?

I have used these hot patches/Kairo on my winter motorcycle rides. Inside the shoes they do very good. If you have proper insulated boots you will have a few hours warmth in your feet when outside is zero or subzero with these patches. Using them else where on the body is a bit of a issue though. The non-sticky one's slip and also the heat spot is very local. They are still better then nothing though.

Yeah, enough of that talk you bunch of sad act Didymuses.

I cut open one of those things.

It was like a mini compost bag. It got warm in the normal way, and didn't change colour. Boring.

boring.jpg

I'd like to get some of the sodium acetate ones - they are reusable with the only downside of a couple hours or so shorter lifespan than the iron versions.

Yeah, enough of that talk you bunch of sad act Didymuses.

I cut open one of those things.

It was like a mini compost bag. It got warm in the normal way, and didn't change colour. Boring.

boring.jpg

The dark colour is from char coal added as a heat conductor, which won't go away from the reaction. The other ingredients are iron powder and vermiculite soaked in salt water to speed up the rusting.

Could we make a more exciting one by keeping all of that stuff, and adding gun powder / thermite?

Back
Top Bottom