What's new

Help Where to buy/fit/etc in Osaka

Nate111

Cruising
Aug 29, 2014
Hey everyone. New member here :) First time poser.

I'm looking at getting back into cycling since moving here from the U.S. I'm simply searching for a good place to get a bike fit and a new bicycle.

I'm currently interested in checking out the new Cannondale Synapse, Trek Domane, and a couple others, but i'm also considering getting a steel bike. My first carbon bike was an Orbea, but fitted me terribly so I never enjoyed it, and my second bike was a steel bike and fitted me great, but felt a little heavy on those climbs in Colorado.

Anyways, I would like some of your opinions here. I may consider traveling to Tokyo if you know of an amazing place over there, but the Kansai area would be easier / more convenient for me.

Thanks for your help! :)

Nate,

Where in Osaka are you? I can direct you to a store once I know a bit more on your location.

For fit, Vincent Flanagan is up in Kyoto and is a great fitter and just a great guy in general. Aside from fitting he can also give you ride ideas as he knows Kansai riding like no other.

Go with the bike that fits you best....I ride a Domane six series and love it. I do work for trek....but the Domane rocks for a long ride bike.

Yeah, I heard good things about the Domane, especially the new one.

I live in the Tennoji area, but can travel pretty much anywhere on the weekends.

Nate,

If you have any questions, feel free to ask away.

For good shops, you can try:

Trek Store Osaka (on naniwasuji)
Silbest Osaka (10min walk from Umeda station, near Outback steakhouse)
Avel Cycles, near Utsubo-kouen.

1 and 3 are Trek dealers. Silbest does Cannondale, Spec., Scott etc.

And again, Vincent is a great fitter. I can send you his email if you like.

-David

I actually might head back to Kobe to check out the trek store up there again. But still want to try the canondale synapse.

Yeah, if appreciate the email address :)

Does he use a fit bike, or would I need to bring one in? Does he sell anything as well?

I found it quite navigable compared to the mess that a lot of the others are.

I'll check that place out, seems like they have a lot of choices. Once I know what size bike I should be getting, I'll test ride a few.

Might even consider a Conaglio (sp?) and a few others I don't even know about. How do the Japanese brands compare to the bigger brands out there? Like, Anchor, etc?

From personal knowledge - Anchor - 100%

Might even consider a Conaglio (sp?)
Chinese brand it seems :oops: ... the Italian is Colnago.

Anchor is so-so for me. I had an RFX-8 (carbon) for around 5 years but I've since moved on. Not sure if the Japanese brand carbon bikes are "Made in Japan" though. You can customize the colors and some Anchor retailers will provide simple fitting service (my fit was done in Tokyo, forgot if it was an extra cost).

I would consider one of the Japanese steel bike brands (I've read some good stories about them) but the cost is just way too high for me to consider for what you get. I can, yet cannot, understand why they cost so much considering the material involved. Eh, oh well.

Possibly selling my motorcycle today, so we'll see how that goes and then I can move on to the bicycle purchase.

Back
Top Bottom