What's new

Help Where do I get a bike bag from?

basilleroux

Maximum Pace
Jun 26, 2011
Hi all,

Recently arrived in Tokyo. I have noticed on a number of threads people have mentioned needing a Bike Bag.

Where do I get one from?

Thanks,

Basil

I got mine at Y's Road bike shop. There are many of these bike shops all over Tokyo, but I think the biggest one is in Shinjuku.

You can get one from Amazon, just look for something like "自転車 輪行袋"

I recommend the Tioga Cocoon . After seeing how fast and easy it is , I ordered a few to keep in stock. Rear wheel stays on the bike and you can either just carry the front wheel or place it next to frame for full coverage. These are only 3500yen. I have an old Osterich and you need a degree in mechanical engineering to pack it according to directions - or just toss the frame in and carry the wheels separately (what I generally do). FYI I posted one of the Ostrich's videos on YT ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mD1xyauX4U

could i ask a "similar" question?

what's the biggest bike bag in the market for MTB? are these the ones that cost around 10k yen?

Just a personal observation - the obvious bike protection purpose aside, for the obvious purpose of taking your bike on the trains here I think you can get away with just about anything that covers the bike. We did a one-way ride last year and the couple of people who didn't have bike bags wrapped their bikes in gomi bags and duct tape. No problems on the trains.

That said, I'm pretty happy with my bike bag from the local Giant store. Cost about ¥7000 so a bit pricey.

Garbage bags are not allowed. It's indicated at many stations directly on the signs. So , while you can often get away with it - doesn't mean this is the official policy. I routinely put my bike on the train with nothing but a cover over my chainring - but then, sometimes I do get hassled and asked to put into a proper rinko bag (which is always allowed).

The stationmasters are sometimes more lenient with foreigners traveling as they expect some confusion and inability to understand all the rules. But again, this is really a station-by-station situation. If you want minimal hassles, just carry a rinko bag. In a pinch they make a good windbreaker , sleeping bag (ask Gunnar), ground cover or rain shelter, too.

Just a personal observation - the obvious bike protection purpose aside, for the obvious purpose of taking your bike on the trains here I think you can get away with just about anything that covers the bike. We did a one-way ride last year and the couple of people who didn't have bike bags wrapped their bikes in gomi bags and duct tape. No problems on the trains.

That said, I'm pretty happy with my bike bag from the local Giant store. Cost about ¥7000 so a bit pricey.

Back
Top Bottom