What's new

When the heck is it going to stop raining

adventurous cyclist

turtle speed cyclist
May 16, 2019
So much rain these days. Summer is already half gone. In Kyushu, there has been so much rain and damage so far and I think the JR line is still closed from last years mud slides.

There are many very good reasons Japanese rice is so good and an abundant supply of water is one of them.
Your skin and bike are water proof and a zip lock bag will keep your phone dry. Don't let rain put you off riding.
There are 5 seasons and each has something different to offer.

Last edited:
I ride in the wet, but the post ride hassles of drying stuff out and cleaning are a pain. I'm not a clean bike nut, but its nice to have brakes that work on descents.

Has anyone got any of the lighter rain jerseys? I've got a Gabba, the detachable sleeves one, but its a bit hot for this time of year. Any recommendations for Japan?

I also ride in the wet and it was a perennial issue to get the right rain gear. After trying raincoats, ponchos (dangerous) and rain suits and waterproof, I finally decided (for summer rains) on spd sandals, quick-dry shorts and a sleeveless shirts, with spare shorts and shirt each day. I figured (correctly) that riding in Japan meant getting wet, but fighting it didn't work, so minimizing the area that would remain wet seemed to be the way to go. I store everything in a dry bag I attach to the rack on the rear of my bike, so it stays dry.

I also ride in the wet and it was a perennial issue to get the right rain gear. [...] I figured (correctly) that riding in Japan meant getting wet, but fighting it didn't work, so minimizing the area that would remain wet seemed to be the way to go. I store everything in a dry bag I attach to the rack on the rear of my bike, so it stays dry.
I like your attitude, and if I didn't have a toddler at home, I'd prefer that to riding only indoors, that's for sure.

Back
Top Bottom