What's new

Wheelset for around 40.000yen? (Stories of the Noob)

eimaiosatanas

Speeding Up
Dec 17, 2011
...in this episode of The Noob Chronicles, join the Noob in his search for wheels...

Hello again, kind people of this forum.

I've been thinking of changing the wheels on my bike, just to see what's it like. But, the fact that I'm completely clueless about wheels does not help me much. So I'd really appreciate any advice, suggestion or personal anecdotes you have to offer! :) Please, guide this Noob and help him make a decision he won't regret later!

Just a couple of things:
  1. price - I can spend around 35.000yen on the wheels (set), with 40.000 pushing it a bit
  2. durability - part of my riding habits include paved roads and pavements, with the occasional hard contact with the kerbs, so, durability is of importance

So, I was searching the internets, and a few names came up, the most interesting was Soul S 2.0 (seem to be quite light!) and then the simano wh-6700 (has a nice affordable price from sagamicycle). Any other suggestions?

All in all,
funny-science-news-experiments-memes-dog-science-fuzzy-logic.jpg

Please help! :eek:

You definitely can't go wrong with the Shimano Ultegra 6700. Period. End of story. You can use them either as tubed or tubeless. They are rugged, decent weight, easy to service and reliable. Whether you race, ride for fun, tour, whatever. These are simply the best in their class for that price range.

Shimano 6700 should be really good.
From my personal experience, I would recommend Fulcrum racing 5. Training on them for 1.5 years - no problems at all.

You definitely can't go wrong with the Shimano Ultegra 6700. Period. End of story. You can use them either as tubed or tubeless. They are rugged, decent weight, easy to service and reliable. Whether you race, ride for fun, tour, whatever. These are simply the best in their class for that price range.

For all the reasons Tim pointed out, Shimano Ultegra WH-6700's!

:eek::eek::eek:

I'm actually surprised at the almost unanimous approval of the wh-6700s! Coming next month I think I'll be placing an order! :D I'll update how the whole experience changed after I get them!

zenbiker, the bici-sana link has some sort of user/pass. I faintly recall another thread where the pass was mentioned, and it was something really simple, but alas I forget..

zenbiker, thanks mate!

Owen, the mavics look ...sharp! By the way, what about serviceability? Shimano seems to be all over the country, it must be really easy to get parts if things go wrong. Is this also the case with the mavics/other brands?

To be quite honest, I'm leaning towards the shimanos, and that'll leave me about 1man for tires also! This month's scholarship money can't come soon enough! :D

One thing to bear in mind:

1) Shimano parts are much easier to get in Japan than just about any other brand.
2) 6700 can be used Tubeless tire - this saves weight and hassle and improves performance. One of their biggest advantage.
3) 6700's weigh 300gr less than Mavic's (no offense, Owen).

One thing to bear in mind:

1) Shimano parts are much easier to get in Japan than just about any other brand.
2) 6700 can be used Tubeless tire - this saves weight and hassle and improves performance. One of their biggest advantage.
3) 6700's weigh 300gr less than Mavic's (no offense, Owen).

Yeah, just showing an alternative.

I would probably go for the Shimano ones if I were him.

Yeah, I have a set of those.

Biggest transformation of any component I ever felt on a bike; going from heavy stock Shimano wheels that came with the complete bike, to these.

Every other wheel-set I have tried since then, has been an improvement, but nothing like I felt with that first step.

Was just looking at them now, as I put my washing out, thinking; he would do well to save a little more money and buy some of these.

I still ride them occasionally, and use them on my turbo trainer. Really good they are.

EDIT; and I was riding these when I weighed at least 6kg more than I do now, when I was still riding my road bike like a BMX, and they did not bend, break, or anything. I know a few other people on here have them, and they are awesome. Shiny too!

Was just looking at them now, as I put my washing out, thinking; he would do well to save a little more money and buy some of these.

Ah, it's not that I can't buy these but then buyers remorse will kick in.. anything more than the price of shimanos is a bit too much for me! Of course that'll change after I become a... sarariman (or whatever) and have my own income stream, but for the time being and all things considered, I'd better stay on the slightly cheaper side of things.

Coming next month, I'll probably place an order! Thanks for the input everybody, really appreciated! :D

Ah, it's not that I can't buy these but then buyers remorse will kick in.. anything more than the price of shimanos is a bit too much for me! Of course that'll change after I become a... sarariman (or whatever) and have my own income stream, but for the time being and all things considered, I'd better stay on the slightly cheaper side of things.

Coming next month, I'll probably place an order! Thanks for the input everybody, really appreciated! :D

Mate, do you want to borrow my Mavic Ksyrium Elite to try them out? Would be happy to lend them to you for a week or so (I'll stick some Open Corsa Evo CX on them too)

Let me know.

Owen

Mate, do you want to borrow my Mavic Ksyrium Elite to try them out? Would be happy to lend them to you for a week or so (I'll stick some Open Corsa Evo CX on them too)

Let me know.

Owen

:eek: Maaan I would have so loved that! The thing is, me being back in Kanazawa and all, sending wheels by mail sounds like quite a hassle (is it even safe?) :(. If I was still in Tokyo, I'd all up for it...

Kanazawa is a train ride from Saitama.

Send me a PM, and we can sort it out.

Though for a little more I'd probably spring for the Kyserium Elites :)

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/mavic-ksyrium-elite-black-clincher-road-wheelset/

I had these on a bike and really liked them. Very responsive and the braking was unmatched.

3 months ago I would have agreed completely that these are a good set of wheels. For 18 months they were straight and needed absolutely no truing.

Then I noticed a little bit of out of trueness, and found that the rim had cracked in 2 separate places, where the special nipples enter the rim. I continued to ride for a bit more and the wheel became unrideable/unserviceable. i.e. the nipple pulled out of the rim.

The other thing about these wheels is that you need a special mavic spokewrench, and the plastic one they give you with the wheelset is basically useless. At least in my case it stripped out the first time I used it. You can fork out for a metal one from Park, but I would think carefully about ordering something that requires proprietary tools to true/service.

Back
Top Bottom