What's new

Wheel & tyre upgrade for Trek Madone

MisterRips

Cruising
May 30, 2013
Hi
Looking to upgrade my wheels and tyres from the Bontragers that came with the bike. Something quick and light but reasonably comfortable too.
My budget's £400/60,000yen and I'm considering Shimano RS80 C24's with Continental GP4000s's.
This combo would appear to satisfy my needs and reviews on each seem good.
Has anyone used these wheels/tyres or got any advice?

Cheers
R

Take a look at the Ultegra wheel set, it's probably the best bang for the buck, and many people recommend it.

I run the Continental GP4000s's and have nothing but good experiences.
Wear is decent, roll resistance is good and I have confidence in them in the rain.

It got some wheels from GSAstuto and couldn't be happier with them. Handbuilt in their shop near Shinjuku, they are pretty damn light (mine came in at 1460g for the set) and having done around 3000km on them so far, they have given me nothing but pleasure. Lighter than the Shimano rs80 and ultegra by quite a way. Service from them is what service should be like. Super friendly guys. They are also cheaper than the RS80. I have GP4000s on them and they fly. You won't regret it.

It got some wheels from GSAstuto and couldn't be happier with them. Handbuilt in their shop near Shinjuku, they are pretty damn light (mine came in at 1460g for the set) and having done around 3000km on them so far, they have given me nothing but pleasure. Lighter than the Shimano rs80 and ultegra by quite a way. Service from them is what service should be like. Super friendly guys. They are also cheaper than the RS80. I have GP4000s on them and they fly. You won't regret it.

+1

Basically the same wheels as above and riding the same tires, too.
The service is second to none so that's why this was my second set from Tim.

No real advice, but I just want to mention that I replaced the Bontrager wheels on my Trek Madone after about two seasons, indeed for Shimano RS80. This was about four years ago. The Bontrager X-lites were very poor, got out of true quickly and at the end a spoke broke out of the rear hub! I've been very happy with the RS80s, never any problems except I wore down my rear hub bearings due to poor maintenance.

Hi
Are they an alloy & carbon mix, like the RS80's?
Planet X are doing the Shimanos for approx £310/47000yen inc post
How much did your bespokes cost?
Cheers

Hi
Are they an alloy & carbon mix, like the RS80's?
Planet X are doing the Shimanos for approx £310/47000yen inc post
How much did your bespokes cost?
Cheers
£310 for the RS80 is a good price. If I remember rightly, when I was looking at them in Japan they were around 55 or 60,000.
Mine are alloy clinchers (no carbon ) but they are lighter than the RS80. The hubs are lightweight and I went with a mix of super light spokes and light spokes. Have had zero problems with them so far, and I know if I have any probs Tim will be able to help me out. I'm 6ft2 and weigh 70kg so Im not a heavyweight but Im sure they would be fine with a larger rider (not sure if you are bigger or smaller than me).
With the super light spokes I paid a little extra but the final figure was just a shade over what you are looking at for the RS80 from Planet X (although looking at their website it seems the price is £340 at the moment. Oh and don't forget you might have to pay import duty). After I weighed up the pros and cons I decided buying from Tim would be much better than wiggle (I was looking at a set of Zondas or RS80). So glad I went with Tim's.

Yeah - the only neg I have about the RS80's (and other Shimano) is that service parts are surprisingly sometimes very hard to get - I had to wait more than several months for specific parts for 2 sets of RS80's (you TCC guys know who you are). Also - they are a little tricky to true properly and if you prang a rim, just plan on replacing the wheel. With that being said - I'd probably lean a little more towards the 6700 series which is very similar in performance and easier to get service parts. I dig the cheap RS21's - but, man, they are one ugly wheelset!

£310 for the RS80 is a good price. If I remember rightly, when I was looking at them in Japan they were around 55 or 60,000.
Mine are alloy clinchers (no carbon ) but they are lighter than the RS80. The hubs are lightweight and I went with a mix of super light spokes and light spokes. Have had zero problems with them so far, and I know if I have any probs Tim will be able to help me out. I'm 6ft2 and weigh 70kg so Im not a heavyweight but Im sure they would be fine with a larger rider (not sure if you are bigger or smaller than me).
With the super light spokes I paid a little extra but the final figure was just a shade over what you are looking at for the RS80 from Planet X (although looking at their website it seems the price is £340 at the moment. Oh and don't forget you might have to pay import duty). After I weighed up the pros and cons I decided buying from Tim would be much better than wiggle (I was looking at a set of Zondas or RS80). So glad I went with Tim's.
Fair point re duty charges.
I'm getting some info from Tim at the mo but I'm definitely interested in keeping things local if possible and servicing needs to be thought about too.
I don't suppose you have any pics of your wheels, do you?
Thanks

Yeah - the only neg I have about the RS80's (and other Shimano) is that service parts are surprisingly sometimes very hard to get - I had to wait more than several months for specific parts for 2 sets of RS80's (you TCC guys know who you are). Also - they are a little tricky to true properly and if you prang a rim, just plan on replacing the wheel.

Yeah! Recently, I had my RS80s wheel hubs serviced by GSAstuto and parts took some time to arrive. They are very good wheels, but you might want to take the maintenance factor into consideration.

Back
Top Bottom