Wanted Wheel truing stand

• Thread starter JackTheCommuter
  • Start date
JackTheCommuter

JackTheCommuter

Maximum Pace
Apr 3, 2012
Tama Center <-> Otemachi
I am looking to either rent or buy a wheel truing stand. If you have one you'd like to rent or sell, please PM me. I am considering purchasing this new: Minoura FT-1 combo. But with only occaisional use, it's a bit much.

FYI: I am in the Futako Tamagawa area.

GSAstuto

GSAstuto

Maximum Pace
Oct 11, 2009
tokyo
www.roadfixie.com
I have an FT-1 . I use it for a general maintenance stand (gluing and cleaning) wheels. For most 'occasional' maintenance - why not just clip something on the seat stay or fork? That will get you as close as one of these stands if you're just taking out wobble more than a couple mm. Otherwise - better to have a more durable (solid) stand and tensionometer to get within 1-2mm. FWI I true to within .25mm (lateral and rotational) on most wheels - and the stand costs more than 200,000 yen.

FarEast

FarEast

Maximum Pace
May 25, 2009
Yokohama
I am looking to either rent or buy a wheel truing stand. If you have one you'd like to rent or sell, please PM me. I am considering purchasing this new: Minoura FT-1 combo. But with only occaisional use, it's a bit much.

FYI: I am in the Futako Tamagawa area.
If you are looking to build you're wheel on it then I would suggest a different model, it's ok for basic trueing but for building.....forget it.(I have this stand)

S

StuInTokyo

Maximum Pace
Dec 3, 2010
Where are you located Jack?

If you want to come by and borrow the stand that I built a while back, please do.
I have a homemade dishing tool and a Park spoke tension tester as well.

Cheers!

JackTheCommuter

JackTheCommuter

Maximum Pace
Apr 3, 2012
Tama Center <-> Otemachi
Jack you are welcome to use mine. I have a park TS-7 and a dish tool.
Where are you located Jack?

If you want to come by and borrow the stand that I built a while back, please do.
I have a homemade dishing tool and a Park spoke tension tester as well.
Guys. Thank you for the generous offers. I'm near the Futakoshinchi station (the Kawasaki side of Futakotamagawa) but have a car so I can swing by with the wheels to straighten or borrow the kit for a weekend. I will reach out when I think I'll have a weekend free.

This is to bring one of my bicycles I had a crash in to a rideable form, to use as a foul weather commuter. Both wheels were way out of true... I started fiddling with the rear one couple of weekends ago, using the brake calipers as guides. I got it to the point where it doesn't rub side to side... but wasn't prepared to fix the vertical wobble. I don't have a spoke tension meter and thought if I were to continue, I might ruin the wheel.

This is to teach myself skills and also a chance to figure out how to do a spoke replacement in the field.

Stu: That's a fantastic bit of steampunk looking truing stand.

Everyone else - Thanks for the advice.

GSAstuto

GSAstuto

Maximum Pace
Oct 11, 2009
tokyo
www.roadfixie.com
How about we do another 'Wheels and Wheels' night and I give a basic seminar on wheel truing and field repair? I think once riders understand the basics of how a wheel goes together it makes it much easier to do this type of maintenance. And you can bring over any bent (or not) wheels to give a spin on the P&K.

JackTheCommuter

JackTheCommuter

Maximum Pace
Apr 3, 2012
Tama Center <-> Otemachi
How about we do another 'Wheels and Wheels' night and I give a basic seminar on wheel truing and field repair? I think once riders understand the basics of how a wheel goes together it makes it much easier to do this type of maintenance. And you can bring over any bent (or not) wheels to give a spin on the P&K.
Yes please!

S

StuInTokyo

Maximum Pace
Dec 3, 2010
Yeah, I'd be up for that too!

Jack, Sunday's are usually the best bet, but a Saturday morning is also possible if you want to come by and give the wheels a spin.

Cheers!

GSAstuto

GSAstuto

Maximum Pace
Oct 11, 2009
tokyo
www.roadfixie.com
OK - how about next Thursday ? (18th) I usually do these the last Thursday each month - but the 18th will auspiciously located just before the Tour de Kusatsu so I'm sure a few people will want to drop by and get their kit checked.

Yeah, I'd be up for that too!

Jack, Sunday's are usually the best bet, but a Saturday morning is also possible if you want to come by and give the wheels a spin.

Cheers!

S

StuInTokyo

Maximum Pace
Dec 3, 2010
OK - how about next Thursday ? (18th) I usually do these the last Thursday each month - but the 18th will auspiciously located just before the Tour de Kusatsu so I'm sure a few people will want to drop by and get their kit checked.
What time of day are we talking about?

GSAstuto

GSAstuto

Maximum Pace
Oct 11, 2009
tokyo
www.roadfixie.com
I'm open on times - but generally I started these about 6pm - 9pm or so. But, perhaps just making it an open house from about 2 or 3pm is best.

What time of day are we talking about?

tigerkamen

tigerkamen

Maximum Pace
Jan 6, 2012
Kawaguchi
That sounds awesome. Wheel repair is one of the things I still don't know how to do. where will this be? :)