What's new

Wheel sugestions

kiwisimon

Maximum Pace
Dec 14, 2006
I am looking to upgrade my SS bike.
attachment.php

I want to make it lighter so will swap out the steel seat post and Brooks saddle ( not what is in the picture) for blingy carbon or alloy things. I really like my Middleburn cranks so the ecentric BB, has Ti spline and cranks will stay as will the Marge bars. So I am left with SS specific disc wheels where I can save weight. What do the racers here recommend. I ride a lot of double track and sometimes single track so I am looking for something durable but light so obviously cheap isn't really an option but a good cost performance payoff would be nice. Cheers.

Tim (GS Astuto) feel free to sell me something...

Oh, and I know the best weight saving is around my middle. Working on that but since Kirin started putting 一番搾り in stubbie bottles I'm losing the battle.

Love the bike mate - stunning!

All I would recommend for CX is the following Easton 90sl carbon seatpost and stem, comfy saddle.

Wheels well thats a tricky one and one of the reasons why I've held off going disc on my own CX bike as right now the hubs are seriously lacking in variety.

Love the bike mate - stunning!

All I would recommend for CX is the following Easton 90sl carbon seatpost and stem, comfy saddle.

Wheels well thats a tricky one and one of the reasons why I've held off going disc on my own CX bike as right now the hubs are seriously lacking in variety.

Thanks James, Carl nailed the build and we sent for an overbuilt frame as I can be a bit of a point and shoot rider, finese isn't a word I can spell yet alone manage. Yes, the brake and hub options are a bit limiting, 135mm spacing does allow me MTB hub options.
Like the Easton suggestions

For more kick and better flavor: (only in the fall)

kirin-aki-aji-(秋味)-60.jpg

Drinking from a can is like kissing a grandmother/ grandfather, pleasant if you close your eyes and imagine something nice.

xl-beer2_300.jpg

(And the bike looks fantastic as-is.)

Drinking from a can is like kissing a grandmother/ grandfather, pleasant if you close your eyes and imagine something nice.

Cans are the best thing for beer. (other than kegs)
Newer cans have a ridiculous amount of technology in them.
Light is the enemy of beer.
Clear, Green, Brown glass all allow light.
The reason for glass in the old days, was the aluminum flavor cans gave off.
That has been cured... but the stigma of 'Beer in a can is cheap' has not worn off.
Small micro-breweries don't can beer because they cannot afford to.
But I guarantee you if they could, they would.

---

That said, that is a sexy looking bike. I don't have the legs for single speed... so I will just admire the clean look.

Whatever seatpost you get, if your photo is indicative of where you need your saddle to be, I'd recommend a post with no setback.

Nah, that was prior to fitting in, but I don't need a set back post. Have since changed the stem as well, shorter with less rise.

Well,

#1) Our carbon saddle is pretty good. Chad in PDX (75kg) has been stomping on it for more than 9mo now in both XC, Road and now CX. He finally managed to break the rails free but some JB weld and they're back. Oh yeah - I think it's what? 150gr?? And cost less than 10,000 yen.

#2) As for wheels - the workd is your oyster. You want the super bling bling lightweight - can do with DASH hubs (custom). Or can do with several other alloy version DB hubs. I have like 4 or 5 different rim moldings - I think for mp rims --- I prefer our TN series which has a boron fiber reinforced nipple bed. Same rim used for our UCI wheels to prevent spokes from discomboobulating unintentionally. Nice for discbrake as well. Or ... we have a 25mm wide by 45mm deep CX rim. It's only tubular at the moment. But ever so nice if you want to run 40psi Clements and float like a butterfly and sting like a bee!

Oh yeah - I have some rainbow anodized Ti spokes too. Those are pretty cool - a little soft, but in multi-spoke wheels - yummmy.

But, if I won the lottery ... I'd go for some GoKiSo hubs with Megalite SS sppokes and T-1000 UD rims. And yeah, the Swarovski inlays at the valve stem.

Well,

#1) Our carbon saddle is pretty good. Chad in PDX (75kg) has been stomping on it for more than 9mo now in both XC, Road and now CX. He finally managed to break the rails free but some JB weld and they're back. Oh yeah - I think it's what? 150gr?? And cost less than 10,000 yen.

#2) As for wheels - the workd is your oyster. You want the super bling bling lightweight - can do with DASH hubs (custom). Or can do with several other alloy version DB hubs. I have like 4 or 5 different rim moldings - I think for mp rims --- I prefer our TN series which has a boron fiber reinforced nipple bed. Same rim used for our UCI wheels to prevent spokes from discomboobulating unintentionally. Nice for discbrake as well. Or ... we have a 25mm wide by 45mm deep CX rim. It's only tubular at the moment. But ever so nice if you want to run 40psi Clements and float like a butterfly and sting like a bee!

Oh yeah - I have some rainbow anodized Ti spokes too. Those are pretty cool - a little soft, but in multi-spoke wheels - yummmy.

But, if I won the lottery ... I'd go for some GoKiSo hubs with Megalite SS sppokes and T-1000 UD rims. And yeah, the Swarovski inlays at the valve stem.

Oh Tim, you had me at "discomboobulating"!! I'll take mine in 50s.....

Back
Top Bottom