What's new

Wheel Building For Newbs Class

GSAstuto

Maximum Pace
Oct 11, 2009
Quite a lot of people have asked if I would hold some kind of class or seminar on basic wheel building. So, I'm considering this -- probably like:

Free class - But I request a donation to TELL and something to stock the shop cooler or wineshelf.

Goal - hack together a rideable wheel in somewhat confidence with minimal tools. (Also good skills for touring and OTR general repairs)

Supplies - I have a bunch of Kinlin TB25 rims and we can probably use those along with some fixed gear hubsets. The wheels built, I'll donate to one the Japanese University Teams we support (or Highschool team).

Attendance - Limited to 6 right now. So give me a headsup RSVP.

When - not sure - but probably some Sunday.

What We'll Cover:

1) What's a wheel, anyway?
2) Easy lacing pattern that works on nearly anything (2X 'Schraner')
3) Getting it Round quickly
4) Layering Tension
5) Final truing and how tight to go

I'm very interested in this. Let me know and I'll clear the Sunday you choose. Only the 22nd of June would be tricky for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello,

I would like to take you up on your offer when ever you wish to do it.

Cheers,

Pete

I think you'll have a lot of interest for this.

I'm also interested.

I am not interested AT ALL!
This kind of witchcraft should not be messed with.
It'll only end in disaster.:feet:

OK - June 8th is an option. I'll tentatively set that as the 1st session. Then based on feedback here - open it for registration.

@zenbiker - totally agreed, if engineering is approached as magic, it will almost always result in disaster.

Ok - I created the event and posted it here:

I'm thinking from 2pm - 7pm is a good slot.

I opened it up for 10 participants max. This might be stretching the limit for truing gear - but we can improvise and share.
Please register for the event if you will attend. I accurate headcount to prepare the parts.
You may bring your own project wheel - but it will be hard to assure your spoke length, etc, so if you bring the <wrong> parts - then shogunai.

@TCC - can you provide a link for TELL donations?

Back
Top Bottom