Wheat free protein / mid-ride nutrition

j-sworks

Maximum Pace
Feb 5, 2012
Tokyo
Hey,

I found out that one of reasons I feel sick after eating during a ride is because I don't digest wheat very well, also I have been just taking a rice ball with some tuna to provide nutrition while I was waiting for my gels, and those made me feel like barfing too:eek: (the rice ball not the gel)

I want to get into some longer rides this season and feel that I need something more than just gels and electrolyte replacement, does anyone know about some wheat free power bar types things? Or am I good enough with the gels and electrolyte replacement?

Thanks

GSAstuto

Maximum Pace
Oct 11, 2009
tokyo
www.roadfixie.com
Have you seen a nutritionist? How do you know you don't digest wheat well? There are tests for wheat intolerance and of course the current cause celebre gluten intolerance. If you're concerned you should start there.

Personally I'm not the biggest fan of 100% in-ride gels and liquids only either. Plus they are expensive. I try to get some small snacks to augment - depends but everything from Big Thunder bars to Yaki Imo, banana chips, dark unsweetened chocolate and raisins or dates. If you do find you're wheat or gluten intolerant then you can easily make some homemade snackbars with oatmeal, corn syrup and a few other goodies.

Don't forget the ubiquitous banana either! Probably the best all around food source for cyclists.

j-sworks

Maximum Pace
Feb 5, 2012
Tokyo
Yeah I actually did see a nutritionist, and I forgot to mention that I always take a banana with me.

Good call on the making my own stuff

StuInTokyo

Maximum Pace
Dec 3, 2010
You may be a Celiac, but the good news is that rice is not a problem for a celiac, and for rice, you are certainly in the right country! My mother is a Celiac, and I was shocked to see how many products that you would not think have wheat in them do, that rice ball that you ate could very well have a wheat product in it. Oatmeal is good, but most oatmeal is made in the same factory that other wheat products are produced, so you have to hunt for oatmeal that is not contaminated with wheat. If you would like more info, I can get it for you.

Cheers!

j-sworks

Maximum Pace
Feb 5, 2012
Tokyo
It was tuna, mayo, and a little salt and pepper, and only rice. I eat rice balls and rice stuff all the time, but it seems that anything heavy-ish makes me feel bad during a ride.

The fun thing about me is that nuts don't agree so well with me either, so a nut and fruit mix is kinda out. I'm thinking a dried veg, bean and berry mix.

GSAstuto

Maximum Pace
Oct 11, 2009
tokyo
www.roadfixie.com
Personally I'd shy away from eating much protein on the bike. Most gels, etc have only a small amount to facilitate carb absorption and supplement what's needed for heavy exertion. If you eat too much protein the you are diverting the digestive process to building blocks, not producing useful glycogen for the muscle activity. Stick to moderate GI foods whe you are on the bike. (50+) When you finish a ride and go into recovery mode, then hit the protein. As for feeling heavy and bloated when you eat, this is typically due to eating too much at a time and not often enough. Eat less, but more often. Snack and sip is the name of the game. Not 'squat and gobble'.

j-sworks

Maximum Pace
Feb 5, 2012
Tokyo
Ok thanks for the advice,

Yeah I'm still a new rider (3rd season) so I'm still trying to get these things figured out, so berries and something else without protein - perhaps similar to the nutrients in the gels.

Cheers - I'm off for a ride

Enjoy the sun (while she's here)

StuInTokyo

Maximum Pace
Dec 3, 2010
It was tuna, mayo, and a little salt and pepper, and only rice. I eat rice balls and rice stuff all the time, but it seems that anything heavy-ish makes me feel bad during a ride.

The fun thing about me is that nuts don't agree so well with me either, so a nut and fruit mix is kinda out. I'm thinking a dried veg, bean and berry mix.
I understand that, my point, poorly made I guess, was the something like a rice ball bought from a 7-11 can have a bunch of wheat product in it, they are used as binders, and fillers etc.

Cheers!

GSAstuto

Maximum Pace
Oct 11, 2009
tokyo
www.roadfixie.com
Incidentally, the small Middle Eastern food shops around my hood (Shin Okubo) sell a variety of non-wheat flours, grains , legumes, etc not typically available in other markets around Tokyo. I like being able to choose from at least 3 or 4 kinds Lentils, Quinona, Buckwheat, etc... plus they have corn grits and flour! Most is Halal as well so just give the shopkeeper an "a salam ameekym" at the door and you might get lucky and not have to pay infidel prices.